Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

law regarding access to bars and garda search powers

• 12-05-2003 6:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

well the title says it all really just want to see if there is a link or something to my answers

what are the condtions to getting refused from a bar
    i heard that if u are 18 u have a right to be in a bar id or no id but isnt that a catch 22!!(i regerally get refused with my passport and me being sober)

also one more thing do the guards have a right to ask u for id if ur on the street heard too that they have no such right as u do not have to carry id around with u and are they allowed search u on the steet

heard a funny one aswell that if ur talking to a shade that if u speak back to them in irish that they have to speak to u in that language and that if they dont understand tough **** they cant do anything about it

makes sense if u think about that irish is the offical language of the country!!
    love to try it out but they'll prob put assault charges on u or something like that and lock u up

so anybody willing to help me out!!
    cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

The pub owner or somebody working for him im sure has the right to refuse you entry to his/his employers premises if he feels the safety of his customers would be jeopradised.

As for the gardai searching you on the street im not sure if they can. They would only want to search you if they had suspicions about you. Say they thought you had drugs on you or thought you were a thief. If you refused they could just arrest you on suspicion of stealing/carrying drugs etc and take you down the station where im sure they could perform a very detailed search of your body.

As for speaking to them in irish, Irish is a big part of their training in templemor. Im sure they would be able to hold a decent conversation with you.

Chief,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

u telling me a 45 year old sergent could speak to me fluently in irish. i doubt it

there are prob some people there that are quite good at it but for the most part they prob suck(speaking from my own experience of recent recruits i know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Originally posted by jank

what are the condtions to getting refused from a bar

also one more thing do the guards have a right to ask u for id if ur on the street

heard a funny one aswell that if ur talking to a shade

Bars have the right to refuse admission if they have good reason to believe that you may be a hazard. It's a very grey area as to what that means.

You are not required to produce ID on request to anyone. We are one of the few countries in Europe that do not have national ID (papers) - some put this down to the fact that we were never occupied during WW2.

NB1 - shade? Is it really necessary to use that term? Very reminiscent of spook/midnight/etc to descibe coloured people!

NB2 - please dump the text speak. You're not using a phone now - all the letters are there in front of you on the keyboard. Please use them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

My limited experence with the Gardai is that they can do whatever they want to whomever the wish.....

After all its your word against theirs, and there is no independant Garda Ombudsman. Remember the May day protests, where they lost the rag alltogether. When Seriously injured people tried to make offical complaints, there was an investigation...

Funny enough No garda interviewed saw anything, and they rejected the recommendations made by the investigation crowd, saying that the board had no authority over the gardai....

Now what kind of message does that send to the public, when they make mistakes and do wrong they are not accountable..

If that incident wasnt so public and if certain people had not gone to europe for advice nothing woudl have happened...

My advice is when it comes to general election, ask the boys who come to your door, what did they think of it, and do they support a Garda Ombudsman...

Never tell them anything they dont need to know or show them anything they dont need to see.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

Well the footage was never shown on rte apprarently..

the gardai got a court order to use this evidence in their iniquiry..

i think the credibility of the garda was seriuosly damaged that day forever.

check my sig below for some horrific violence from our police force!

:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement