Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comeback on tyres?

• 05-10-2015 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

Put on 3 new tyres on a van last week. Today being a day of very heavy rain I just realised how bad they really are grip wise in the wet.
    Spinning on take off, noisy at speed and not great under braking (stopping distance ) I suppose there's nothing I can do except drive on with them? Saved myself 30 euro on Savos but really disappointed with them. Dunno if I can post the brand name ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I bet they asked you if you want the premium or mid-range tyres, and they gave you the sh!te. What brand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭blackbox

You could have a competition where everyone guesses the brand,

I'll guess TRIANGLE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,461 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Put on 3 new tyres on a van last week. Today being a day of very heavy rain I just realised how bad they really are grip wise in the wet.
    Spinning on take off, noisy at speed and not great under braking (stopping distance ) I suppose there's nothing I can do except drive on with them? Saved myself 30 euro on Savos but really disappointed with them. Dunno if I can post the brand name ...

Take them back. Tell them they are death traps and get a proper set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Normally put on Michelins but times being as they are I said I'd venture south pricewise. Had forgotten how bad a crap tyre can be. They really are buckets of ****. Might give him a shout tomorrow. I won't say he pushed them on me as I said I wanted cheap.

blackbox wrote:

blackbox wrote:
    I'll guess TRIANGLE.

Congrats you win absolutely nothing :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Normally when it comes to good tyres being penny wise usually ends up being pound foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Accelera Alpha. The worst ditchfinders I ever had on a car. I've had bald tyres that gripped better than them in the wet.

I can't see you getting a refund or anything like it, but he might look after you on a new set. One other thing to note, new tyres generally need at least 200 miles on them to bed in. Had you much driving done on them beforehand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Iv long given up on cheap tires. I decide what i want and ring to find whos the cheapest.

Primastar van i love the Goodyears 140 a pop tho

bazz26 wrote:
    Normally when it comes to good tyres being penny wise usually ends up being pound foolish.

Lesson learnt. Wouldn't mind but I'm usually anal about tyres. Have 18` Michelin Supersports on the missus yoke and they're brilliant. Stay well away from them, what was on the van were worn down to the marker but they were still better than what I bought.

pablo128 wrote:
    I can't see you getting a refund or anything like it, but he might look after you on a new set. One other thing to note, new tyres generally need at least 200 miles on them to bed in. Had you much driving done on them beforehand?

Not more than 100km yet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Not more than 100km yet...

Triangle don't bed in. Worse tyre you can have on wet road. The only bedding in will be you stuck in back of another car because you couldn't stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Great tyres for putting rings on a crossroads, but not much else....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,416 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's unbelievable the difference between cheap stuff and decent tyres, it really is night and day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'd say if you offer to pay the difference to step up to a mid-range tyre, and for swapping them out, they should be reasonable enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

3 tyres, really? Cheapos, too?
    False economy. Whatever about the safety aspect but you won't even save money with cheap tyres since you'll be replacing them way sooner.
    Comeback, I wouldn't think so.

Sorry lads/lassies, forgot to update.

Went back and he basically said i was told what i was getting- a cheap tyre. There wasnt much he could do as they now had roadwear and he couldnt do anything for me. He was right in every sense, lesson learnt. Still rubber side down though:D

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

take it easy on the corners and leave a lot of space to the car in front, be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

XR3i wrote: »
    take it easy on the corners and leave a lot of space to the car in front, be grand

Don't forget the spare bog roll :pac:

I suppose they're at their worst on the motorway in rain. Any surface water at all and you can actually feel the tyre slide on the water. Basically if its into any kind of a subtle bend with surface water above 80kmh, just grip tight and hope to christ.

I suppose they're at their worst on the motorway in rain. Any surface water at all and you can actually feel the tyre slide on the water. Basically if its into any kind of a subtle bend with surface water above 80kmh, just grip tight and hope to christ.

To be honest, id be going to somewhere with a good name and getting something decent put on. No way would I be comfortable doing that day in day out, especially in the ****ty weather that we have to look forward to over the next few months.
    Yes you'll take a hit on them, but put it down to a lesson well learnt.
    Stick them up on adverts and get a few quid for them of some young lad looking to blacken a crossroad. All they're good for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,461 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Tyre man could have done something for ya.
    Could have offered you half back on them or something to swap them over for something better.

mickdw wrote: »
    Tyre man could have done something for ya.
    Could have offered you half back on them or something to swap them over for something better.

I'm a tradesman myself and do work for him occasionally so didnt want to push him on it. If I didnt know him from Adam Id have said a lot more tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I'm a tradesman myself and do work for him occasionally so didnt want to push him on it..

All the more reason why he should have looked after you IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭coupequattro

I recently put on cheap tyres on my VW T5, and have just been to Spain and back on them without a bother.... Are you sure it's the tyres that is the problem, and not suspension geometry or some other vehicle mechanical issue?

I recently put on cheap tyres on my VW T5, and have just been to Spain and back on them without a bother.... Are you sure it's the tyres that is the problem, and not suspension geometry or some other vehicle mechanical issue?

Not according to VTN who tested it with the new tyres on. The old set never gave a bother.

Slippery when wet?
    Its the tyres. Your suspension doesn't become ****e in the rain, cheap tyres do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

I have Kendas on my car.

Absolute rubbish but still probably not the worst compared to some of the other brands.

Usually cheaper tyres use older tread patterns (often the tooling is sold on to cheaper companies), so they are never going to be quite as good as "brand name" items, but on a van that's not normally a problem, as they're heavy enough to keep the tyre in contact with the road, even in heavy rain.
    I'm not seeing any issues with handling on these tyres, in the dry or the wet... €80 a tyre, fitted.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

blackbox wrote: »

I'll guess TRIANGLE.

Triangle Primo Max for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I've had all sorts of tyres on cars in the past, good tyres and crap tyres. Currently have crap tyres on my own car as it was all I could afford at the time. Still have never found myself in a ditch. Obviously the cheaper tyres grip is nowhere near as good as the better brand but they are probably acceptable as long as people are driving safely and maintaining a proper distance from the car in front and driving to the conditions. There's a lot of hyperbole when talking about crap tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I've had all sorts of tyres on cars in the past, good tyres and crap tyres. Currently have crap tyres on my own car as it was all I could afford at the time. Still have never found myself in a ditch. Obviously the cheaper tyres grip is nowhere near as good as the better brand but they are probably acceptable as long as people are driving safely and maintaining a proper distance from the car in front and driving to the conditions. There's a lot of hyperbole when talking about crap tyres.

Username checks out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Generally the only time you find out how good or bad your tyres actually are is when you need them the most.

Boskowski wrote: »
    3 tyres, really? Cheapos, too?
    False economy. Whatever about the safety aspect but you won't even save money with cheap tyres since you'll be replacing them way sooner.
    Comeback, I wouldn't think so.

You will actually find the opposite. Cheap tyres will often last much longer than expensive ones as better grip means more wear.

I'm not defending cheap tyres, just pointing it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

... they are probably acceptable as long as people are driving safely and maintaining a proper distance from the car in front and driving to the conditions.

Go look at the dashcam thread, not the Russian ones either.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Do you really feel safe driving with tyres that perform like that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

5W30 wrote: »
    I have Kendas on my car.

Absolute rubbish but still probably not the worst compared to some of the other brands.

They make decent push bike tyres to be fair. They know something about compounds/grip/handling. Some others are just "cheap round black" what else can there be to it? Maxxis are another brand I first came across on mountain bikes, haven't heard much about them on cars though, kenda seem better anecdotally at least.

Saw an article on continental black chilli compound being used on cars now, compound of the same name has been used in extra grippy bike tyres for a while now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Why 3? Is it this van?

reliantrobinmk1.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Could the fact you've 3 on be causing some imbalance? I've always heard to always go for the same tyre on each axle and if you're replacing one, replace the other too.

Another factor might be the type of rubber compound used in the tyre. For example, if they are tyres that are normally sold for use in hot climates (middle east etc), then the cold weather performance will be very poor, ditto for wet, as that will cool the tyres right down too.....

Might be worth checking the markings on the sidewall of the tyre and googling what you find....

Here's a review of the tyres in question....... Which apparantly are a Summer tyre, so maybe not for winter use....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1HEzN__HUw

Also, apparantly they are directional, so make sure that they are fitted to the correct side of the vehicle.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Lord of the Rings is based on a truer story than that review. Those Accerera Alpha's are absolute garbage.

Here's a review of the tyres in question....... Which apparantly are a Summer tyre, so maybe not for winter use....

Besides the fact we're having summer like temperatures at the moment, Summer tyres are perfectly acceptable for all year round use in Ireland. We get a lot more rain than snow or ice. Summer tyres handle better and perform better in wet conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

VeVeX wrote: »
    Lord of the Rings is based on a truer story than that review. Those Accerera Alpha's are absolute garbage.

They really are awful. Not fit for use above 50kph on Irish roads in Irish weather. That's being generous - I had a "moment" at lower speeds than that braking gently on road markings before a railway crossing.

Absolute garbage as you say.
    Not a single word of that review is close to true, apart from stating that they are directional. Not even little fibs, out and out whoppers of lies in that video.
    I can now disregard any "official" line from Oponeo - they obviously have no shame.

Besides the fact we're having summer like temperatures at the moment, Summer tyres are perfectly acceptable for all year round use in Ireland. We get a lot more rain than snow or ice. Summer tyres handle better and perform better in wet conditions.

Errrrr.... no...... Thats not true. Tyres made for higher temperatures are generally very poor in the cold. And wet conditions are kinda like being in the cold, they chill the tyre right down.

You're best with a summer tyre for summer, and a winter tyre for winter. The rubber compounds should be mixed accordingly to give you a suitable compromise of grip versus wear....
    If you live in a warmer area of the country, then an all-season tyre is another option for all year use.

To the original poster, if you feel that the tyres are really that bad, then they should be removed and binned. Regardless of cost.

Errrrr.... no...... Thats not true. Tyres made for higher temperatures are generally very poor in the cold. And wet conditions are kinda like being in the cold, they chill the tyre right down.

You're best with a summer tyre for summer, and a winter tyre for winter. The rubber compounds should be mixed accordingly to give you a suitable compromise of grip versus wear....
    If you live in a warmer area of the country, then an all-season tyre is another option for all year use.

To the original poster, if you feel that the tyres are really that bad, then they should be removed and binned. Regardless of cost.

Tyres made for higher temperatures do not perform very poorly in the cold. Their performance may be impaired slightly by the cold but in normal conditions with a good quality tyre there is very little discernible difference in wet weather handling. When it gets really cold your not dealing with water your dealing with ice, at this point a tyre that's designed for cold weather will obviously perform better.

So yes in an ideal world you would have summer and winter tyres but as a rule in Ireland with our temperate climate for the majority of the year Summer tyres are better than winter tyres even in winter months.

Tyres made for higher temperatures do not perform very poorly in the cold. Their performance may be impaired slightly by the cold but in normal conditions with a good quality tyre there is very little discernible difference in wet weather handling. When it gets really cold your not dealing with water your dealing with ice, at this point a tyre that's designed for cold weather will obviously perform better.

There is plenty of imformation out on the web regarding tyres....

In general, summer tyres are for a minimum of 7 degrees C and up, and are designed for drier, warmer conditions.

Winter tyres are for temperatures below a maximum of 7 degrees C. They are designed to give better grip in wet, snowy and icy conditions.

All season tyres basically bridge and overlap the gap, they are suitable for summer and winter, provided it doesn't get really hot or really cold.....

Note that if you use summer tyres through winter and wet conditions, you'll get great tyre life, but the grip will be poor....

Also note that if you use winter tyres through the summer, the grip will get poor when the temperatures get high, and the tyre wear will be rapid.....

In addition to the design of the grooves on the tread, Summer/ All-Season / Winter tyres have different rubber compounds which will vastly affect grip / wear according to temperature.

Look it up on the web, plenty of info out there......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

When I bought the S60 it had 4 new (less than 20% worn) triangles on it.

Drove it home on M18 in the pouring rain. Car literally twitched around when overtaking sedately. Straight away ordered myself some uniroyal rainsport 3's.

Tyres were great but car turned out to be a donkey :p

There is plenty of imformation out on the web regarding tyres....

In general, summer tyres are for a minimum of 7 degrees C and up, and are designed for drier, warmer conditions.

Winter tyres are for temperatures below a maximum of 7 degrees C. They are designed to give better grip in wet, snowy and icy conditions.

All season tyres basically bridge and overlap the gap, they are suitable for summer and winter, provided it doesn't get really hot or really cold.....

Note that if you use summer tyres through winter and wet conditions, you'll get great tyre life, but the grip will be poor....

Also note that if you use winter tyres through the summer, the grip will get poor when the temperatures get high, and the tyre wear will be rapid.....

In addition to the design of the grooves on the tread, Summer/ All-Season / Winter tyres have different rubber compounds which will vastly affect grip / wear according to temperature.

Look it up on the web, plenty of info out there......

You need to go back to the web site where your getting your information and tell them they're wrong.

Summer tyres are not for drier conditions they are primarily designed for water dissipation and wet weather handling.

Only up until recently with the introduction of the EU labels have manufacturers focused on improving the wet weather capabilities or winter tyres. Up to that point they were vastly inferior to a summer tyre in the wet. Their primary purpose and the major consideration in their thread design is gripping in snow and ice whilst also having self cleaning properties. If you think about it they are developed for countries where snow and ice is a permanent fixture during winter month so rain is not really a consideration.

The imaginary 7 degree line that is spoken about isn't a cliff where at that point a summer tyres grip level suddenly becomes very poor as you've said. The drop off is a liner one and only very marginally affects the performance of the tyre as the temperature gets colder.

You need to go back to the web site where your getting your information and tell them they're wrong.

Summer tyres are not for drier conditions they are primarily designed for water dissipation and wet weather handling.

Only up until recently with the introduction of the EU labels have manufacturers focused on improving the wet weather capabilities or winter tyres. Up to that point they were vastly inferior to a summer tyre in the wet. Their primary purpose and the major consideration in their thread design is gripping in snow and ice whilst also having self cleaning properties. If you think about it they are developed for countries where snow and ice is a permanent fixture during winter month so rain is not really a consideration.

The imaginary 7 degree line that is spoken about isn't a cliff where at that point a summer tyres grip level suddenly becomes very poor as you've said. The drop off is a liner one and only very marginally affects the performance of the tyre as the temperature gets colder.

Here? http://www.goodyear.eu/ie_en/all-about-tires/seasonal-tires/why-summer-tires/

I don't know whether you're confirming or calling me on my comments?

Summer tyres - ideally used when temperatures are above 7 degrees
    Winter tyres - ideally used when temperatures are below 7 degrees

Summer tyres - designed for warm roads and wet and dry conditions
    Winter tyres - designed for cold roads and snow and ice conditions

I don't know whether you're confirming or calling me on my comments?

I'm not sure myself TBH. :pac:

I'm not sure myself TBH. :pac:

I think we all know where you're heading with that one.....

Next time we have torrential rain during the winter, I must remember to go and fit my summer tyres........ :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement