Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renua’s radical plan to abolish loads of taxes and the TV licence

Options
  • 05-10-2015 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/renua-flat-tax-2368262-oct2015/
    Elsewhere, Renua says it would abolish motor tax with a direct levy on fuel at source, adding 3 cent to the price of a litre of petrol and 4 cent to the price of a litre of diesel.

What do you all think of this? The fuel levy is quite good as long as they don't decide to double it during the next budget!

This could mean a return of the big engined motors :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Heard some motoring organisation spokesman on the radio saying it might be nearer 20c per litre!

That's 90.92c per gallon.

Assuming an average mileage of 15000 p.a. and an average of 35mpg that means 428.57 gallons per annum, and an average motor tax on fuel bill yielding €398.65.

That's a raw deal for people who buy new cars, and a bonanza for drivers of low mileage big engined cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Ill be off to England to find a 540i e39!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

Heard some motoring organisation spokesman on the radio saying it might be nearer 20c per litre!

Assuming an average mileage of 15000 p.a. and an average of 35mpg that means 428.57 gallons per annum, and an average motor tax on fuel bill yielding €398.65.

That's a raw deal for people who buy new cars, and a bonanza for drivers of low mileage big engined cars.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/renua-proposes-plan-to-scrap-motor-tax-357500.html
    This would add 3c to the price of a litre of petrol and 4c to diesel.

Not sure where you heard it but multiple news sources are saying it's 3c and 4c.

25000 km at 1.25c a litre of diesel, using 7l/100km is 1750 litres which means it costs €2187.50. It would have cost €2117.50 otherwise at current rates.

Comes out to €70 on tax for the year. Not bad considering my tax rate on the Focus is €280! :cool:

It would work out a lot better for pre-2008 diesels and just big engined petrols in general that would only be used on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MTBD

Unless they start ring fencing the funds gathered from taxation on cars/fuel it will all be a bit pointless. Some nice roads to drive on would be a good start.

I'd love to know how much driving on the disgracefully rough and bumpy roads of Cork costs me in repairs. Tracking, wheel balancing and repairs, suspension components, bulbs etc. Everything getting the life shaken out of it on a daily basis has to have a very significant effect on longevity.

That said I would love it if big engined cars stop being penalised so disproportionately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

3 or 4c, have these goons even done the maths on this? More like 25c-30c a litre increase if this was any way realistic. And i'd be all for it.

• Advertisement

3 or 4c, have these goons even done the maths on this? More like 25c-30c a litre increase if this was any way realistic. And i'd be all for it.

jGnf5Uo.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

5W30 wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/renua-proposes-plan-to-scrap-motor-tax-357500.html

Not sure where you heard it but multiple news sources are saying it's 3c and 4c.

25000 km at 1.25c a litre of diesel, using 7l/100km is 1750 litres which means it costs €2187.50. It would have cost €2117.50 otherwise at current rates.

Comes out to €70 on tax for the year. Not bad considering my tax rate on the Focus is €280! :cool:

It would work out a lot better for pre-2008 diesels and just big engined petrols in general that would only be used on weekends.

A tax yield of €70 p.a. is exactly why it won't happen.

Will the new TV license tax be dependent on how much TV you watch?

A tax yield of €70 p.a. is exactly why it won't happen.

Even if it was 20c a litre it would still be good though. One less sticker on the windshield :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Renua!

giphy1.gif?w=700

• Advertisement

5W30 wrote: »
    Even if it was 20c a litre it would still be good though. One less sticker on the windshield :)

It'd be bad for owners who've paid out big vat/vrt for new cars. New car sales would slow, and the overall tax yield from the sector might reduce.

p.s. Interestingly the guy on the radio said 40% of the total road tax yield was spent on costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

bazz26 wrote: »
    Renua!

giphy1.gif?w=700

No more taxes...for that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

About bloody time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Would I like to see this happening? Of course.

Can I see it happening? Unfortunately not.

Tbh if they put 10c per litre on fuel and changed the tax rates similar to the UK level I'd be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'd be delighted if this system cane in.

As I say in the Volkswagen thread it is the fairest system to have in place and makes perfect sense.

Might also stop people purely buying cars based on there tax cost and stop the amount of uneccessary diesel cars.

Be a lot more big engined petrol cars on the road to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bigroad

This is only coming from RENUA so far ,but will it push pressure on the main parties to look at the motortax system.
    All a bit up in the air at the moment.
    I know I want my 600sel asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Surly to make the same as they are currently making on road they would need to put 30-40 cent per litre on the price never mind 20 cents. 3-4 cent sounds like they picked a random low number and did no calculations on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

its fair actually,the more fuel you use the more you pay,the more you pollute as well,also evasion of tax is eliminated once and for all,no brainer really

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

turbocab wrote: »
    its fair actually,the more fuel you use the more you pay,the more you pollute as well,also evasion of tax is eliminated once and for all,no brainer really

So, never going to happen, then.

And what when I live in Donegall?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You can promise anything under the sun when you know you will not be in power and have to implement it.

Like a lot of the crazy promises the lefties make.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

they'll have to close the border:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bigroad

There is a few problems with this.
    1. people that laid out big money for new cars from 08 till now for cheaper tax.
    2.younger generation that were pushed out to far away places but still have to commute big miles to work.
    3.People jumping over the boarder for cheaper fuel.
    Other than that its a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

bigroad wrote: »
    There is a few problems with this.
    1. people that laid out big money for new cars from 08 till now for cheaper tax.
    2.younger generation that were pushed out to far away places but still have to commute big miles to work.
    3.People jumping over the boarder for cheaper fuel.
    Other than that its a great idea.

Bigger problem is that Renua havent a hope in hell of being in power.... so nothing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Well the first thing to say about this is that I would very much welcome any effort to get rid of our utterly daft motor tax system, which is so unfair on anyone who wants a nice car or cannot afford a 08 or newer car. It's the worst system ever what we have at the moment. However, this is never going to happen, the greenies and the liberal media would have their knickers in a twist about how this would make 'gas guzzlers' more desirable, but more importantly, the numbers don't add up.

The big problem with this is that 3-4 cent a litre more is nowhere near enough to cover the cost of abolishing car tax, I think the true figure is closer to 20-30 cent a litre (though if 40% of car tax is on admin then this wouldn't be so high but you'd still have to pay to give those workers a decent redundancy and so on).

What would be more realistic is to make everyone (no matter how old or new the car is) pay the exact same amount of tax. Something like €350 a year for everyone, it's still a reasonable amount even if you've got a band A car as they're on €200 a year. That would stop the export of large capacity cars, which means more money for the Government. Hiking fuel up 20-30 cent a litre risks people crossing the border for fuel, so that's not wise from a revenue perspective. It would also make petrol far more desirable, which not only would be far better for our lungs, but far better for the Government's coffers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The Civil Servant unions will never let something like this happen, too many jobs that will no longer be needed.

Best thing that could happen, and even more so if they could also sort out TV licences, and merge the state service cards so that there's one card instead of 3 or 4 .

Then, if more of the form filling garbage was made available on line, rather than having to be sent on paper, and posted, which is costing mega bucks to no good effect..........

Imagine if the HSE, and OPW, and Irish Water were all the size they were supposed to be, rather than the size that is being imposed by the unions.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

In other news Turkeys don't vote for Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Abolish many taxes in order to streamline and collect from a small number of sources? Cant see how anything could go wrong. Sure any economist worth their salt will tell you of the folly of silly things like widening the tax base...............

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

NIMAN wrote: »
    You can promise anything under the sun when you know you will not be in power and have to implement it.

Like a lot of the crazy promises the lefties make.

They may not get power but it will certainly make a lot of people sit up and pay attention to them which is always a bonus for them. It certainly made them hit the headlines the tax system and TV licence are two things that grate on a lot of people if they can garner a few more votes from it for the next election it can help build momentum.

The old tax system and new system are incredibly flawed and a shambles really.

A much fairer better balanced system needs to be put in place, tax on fuel even at 15 to 20 cent is the best idea imo.

Give taxis and haulage companies access to green diesel and the rest of us on higher tax fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Of course it will make people pay attention, if you make it sound like a magical world where abolishing road tax only adds 2c to a litre of fuel.

This would get anyone's attention, except that its nonsense, the figures don't make sense. Not even close.

Advertisement