Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting glass fitted

• 04-10-2015 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Some little scrote smashed my rear window. No glass cover on the car. Auto glass quoted mad money for it. Is it possible to diy or anyone recommend another place for quote?
    Car is 99 corolla estate.
    Happy Sunday folks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

If it was a door window it would be DIYable, not a rear window though, very difficult to get right without the proper tools or adhesives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭9935452

How much was the quote for the window. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Might be cheaper to get a complete tailgate from a breakers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭9935452

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Might be cheaper to get a complete tailgate from a breakers?

Thats what i was thinking but corolla estates werent that common and also if he wants it in the same colour as the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They only seem to come in maroon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

I have done a rear window in the past,(not in a corolla) my local motor factor had the correct adhesive, i had all other tools needed myself, if your buying the glass new it should be doable, just make sure you throughly remove all old adhesive and debris, but the new glass to a member of the public will probably be about the same as autoglass charge for the whole job.

I went to a scrappy for mine, he told me he wouldn't waste his time trying to get it out because it would break, I asked him could I try, he said I was welcome to and if i got it out without breaking it I could have it for free, he wasn't a happy bunny about 20 minutes later when I came back up his yard with a perfect rear window.

There is a special serated wire to cut the old adhesive with, you have to carefully push it through the adhesive between the window and the frame then use a sawing motion to work your way around the window to cut the adhesive, some cars are more difficult than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Called every breaker in the land. One has one at around 80 in navy blue. My car is silver. Auto glass quoted a tad over 200.
    Glass is glued like most modern cars so diy is out of question.
    If i did just buy the tailgate, what approximately would it cost for a spray?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

Being a 99 corolla I would be inclined to give the spray a go meself tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12 groovy123

I have a KIA and tried to get glass repaired by local branch.. they blatantly refused so I had to get it done at auto windscreens nightmare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

I had an almera and bought another one for parts n wanted the window swapped over.

every crowd i rang didnt want to know - too much hassle.I had my window replaced by a local Lithuanian mechanic for 60 quid. I' d say two of them did in under an hour with a cheesewire type thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

congo_90 wrote: »
    Called every breaker in the land. One has one at around 80 in navy blue. My car is silver. Auto glass quoted a tad over 200.
    Get the navy blue and have it wrapped to the existing colour. Might work out cheaper than 200 and cheaper than a respray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

congo_90 wrote: »

For a proper job more than the €200. Being an older car you could get it done cheaper, but not much less than just replacing the glass and then you won't have to worry about a dodgy paint job.

Advertisement