Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Leave Question

Options
  • 24-01-2015 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

I think I'm over-complicating things for myself, and am missing the wood for the trees but the sentence "at least 2 and no more than 16 weeks must be taken before the end of the week the baby is due" is confusing me way more than it should :o:confused:

Baby is due 1st of May, a Friday, so the end of that week is Sunday 3rd May but I know social welfare don't count Sundays so it would be Saturday 2nd May.
    Can that week count as one of the "2 weeks" i.e. my last day in work could be Saturday 18th April? Or would it be the week earlier?? Having a complete mental block on this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

I'd say the latest your last day could be is the 17th

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

I think I'm over-complicating things for myself, and am missing the wood for the trees but the sentence "at least 2 and no more than 16 weeks must be taken before the end of the week the baby is due" is confusing me way more than it should :o:confused:

Baby is due 1st of May, a Friday, so the end of that week is Sunday 3rd May but I know social welfare don't count Sundays so it would be Saturday 2nd May.
    Can that week count as one of the "2 weeks" i.e. my last day in work could be Saturday 18th April? Or would it be the week earlier?? Having a complete mental block on this!

Ring dept of social protection - maternity section and they will confirm your last day of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I know a lot of women ask their doctors to move the due date slightly for the purposes of that form, so that the woman will get more maternity leave after the baby is born. It makes sense - if you were to go two weeks overdue, that's four weeks you could end up sitting around waiting for the baby, which would be far more appreciated by most women after the baby is born. Of course, it depends if you're still comfortable working at that late stage.

Not advising you to do this, of course. ;) I'm just saying I've often heard of it happening ...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Your HR will tell you what date you need to go if you give them your due date. It's supposed to be 2 weeks but afair it can change depending on what day of the week you're due? I know mine wasn't a full 2 weeks for some reason, they have some bizarre way of working it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Blingy wrote: »
    Ring dept of social protection - maternity section and they will confirm your last day of work.

I knew I was over-complicating things, I didn't even think of that! They're lovely in there actually they were really helpful. The latest I can start maternity leave is 20th April so my last day in work will be 18th. Thanks everyone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement