Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car for a taller driver

Options
  • 29-01-2015 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

howdy all,

Slightly unusual problem, I'm currently driving a 99 Corolla, Which is grand for the wife size wise but i'm 6'4" and i find the wheel has a tendency to rub on my thighs even when it's adjusted all the way up and getting in & out of the car can be quite difficult as the seat is pretty low to the ground.

So anyone have any suggestions for a car that would be comfortable for me to drive but my 5'4" wife as well

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

An ice cream van.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

ford focus suits my really tall blonde friend and her shortarsed fool of a boyfriend

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Oyva bigwan

Mech1 wrote: »
    ford focus suits my really tall blonde friend and her shortarsed fool of a boyfriend

I was just about to say Ford Focus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Sat into a Citroen DS5 earlier today, a giraffe could drive it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

Skoda Octavia. Nice and spacey. I'm 5'6 and it's ok for me (well, i did my driving lessons in one!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

We need more details or else every car under the sun could be named out.
    Budget
    Size requirements
    Fuel type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I know you may not like a low down seat but my Saab 93 is the comfiest seat i've ever had and I'm 6'4" too. The seat is very adjustable and my 5'7" wife finds it very comfortable too.

I do like more upright seats like the Skoda's mentioned but on long distances the Saab seat really supports my back and don't feel tired afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Avoid cars with sunroofs. I'm 6'3" and in my last car (01 Avensis with sunroof) my head wasn't far off the roof lining. My current car (05 Avensis no sunroof) has acres of head room and leg room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

pablo128 wrote: »
    Avoid cars with sunroofs. I'm 6'3" and in my last car (01 Avensis with sunroof) my head wasn't far off the roof lining. My current car (05 Avensis no sunroof) has acres of head room and leg room.

i dont think its sunroofs thats the problem, i just think the earlier japs had less space.
    Im 6 foot 7 , the mother has a 98 corolla and its a knees on the dash job, sister has an 08 corolla and its fine for space , legs and head.
    Friend had a 00 avensis and the head was out the sunroof, another mate has a 07 corolla with sunroof and there is plenty of space.

Anything German will have plenty of space, golf and A4 i dont have the seat all the way back with acres of head space. The previous owner of the a4 was a 5foot 8 lady who loved the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sunroofs do make a difference as the headroom is lowered to allow the sunroof to slide into the roof when opened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Seat Altea

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Mini.

Seriously, I'm 6" and I could wear a top hat in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Mini.

Seriously, I'm 6" and I could wear a top hat in there.
    Seats go right down, waay more space than several of my own cars/SUVs.
    Found the space around the pedals/steering column a little cramped though.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pretty much anything more modern than a 99 corolla won't have this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭mossy50

massey ferguson 8680 dynashift

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

bazz26 wrote: »
    Sunroofs do make a difference as the headroom is lowered to allow the sunroof to slide into the roof when opened.

they have to make some difference but the comparing like for like , the earlier cars were cramped for legspace and headspace and the later ones had plenty of both

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm 6 foot 4 too. My first car was a Focus and it had great legroom.
    I then graduated to an A4 and I found it hard to spend more than 2 hours in it.

I've now have a Freelander 2 and it's fantastic. It is so much easier to get in/out of which I needed as I've had trouble with my back.

Advertisement