Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mafia

Options
  • 02-01-2003 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭

Just wondering about it really, ive been following it up for about a year++ now and it always looked like it would take my fancy, and since i heard it was released not long ago im gonna go and buy it at lunchtime..

just wondering what you guys thoughts were on it if youve played it yet?

and will my comp run it ok ?? ---->

Amd XP 2100+
    PC 2100, 256 meg ram
    Geforce 2 GTS 64Mb
    SoundBlaster Audigy 2

as i remember hearing that some people had some problems with it with amd processors, well i say that but ive only heard one person actually say that :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Had no problems running it on my PC

Athlon XP1800
    512Mb RAM
    Geforce 4
    Audigy

I thought it was a brilliant game. Well put together, varied and fun to play. At times it feels like a film but that's not a bad thing.
    A classic game and well worth having in your collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

game never had it in stock :(

your just making me want it all the more, cheers for reply :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

well i want to get the game and my cpu is only a 1.33 athlon TBird and a 32 meg gf2 gts and i sully expect it to work ok for me.

I hope so anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Great game tho the music bugged me and the race was insanely hard.

But once thats out of the way its back to normal play :)

Great game all round shame about the race.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

very atmospheric but at times you feel you've seen it all before,probally because it plays so much like being in a movie.
    Some of the tasks are quite hard and mandatory,i really hated that scene at the begining when you have to escape the rival mob by running down the back alleys,stray too far from the designated path and its game over.

In its favour,great voice acting,an atmospheric city landscape,a novel driving experience,an ambitious attempt to stretch the fps and driving genre.

A worthy addition to anyones gaming collection but it lacks the imeadiate replayability of more freeform games like GTA3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

played grand on my

p4 1.4
    gf2 gts 32mb
    512 rdram

Its a great game, the race is easier with the sound turned off for some reason, and adjusting the steering sens

imho its better than gta 3, your more involved in the story line,

ANyone notice that he goes down on the sarah one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You aren't likely to have any problems running it on that machine. I haven't installed it yet but I'm hoping it'll work at least relatively well on my

<whispers lest others laugh>
    P-3 500
    256MB
    Kyro 2 64MB
    </whispers>

The AMD processor should be fine - the game's been out a while so if you have any hassle I'm sure people have come up with workarounds (or there's probably a patch if there's a real issue)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

sceptre, apparently the way the kyro2 is built lets it run the game well. At least it ran well on a kyro2 with full detail on my m8s pc. he had a 1.3 tho.

Its a great game. I had no probs at all with the race. Took me ages to figure out that mission where u gotta plant that bomb.
    I just didnt have the patience i guess to do what i later realised had to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

Well gta3 was a rip-off and wont run on my pc but mafia runs perfect. Havn't had any trouble with it.

1 gig athlon, 384 m ram and *cough* 32mb tnt2 card.

Great game, apart from the insanely annoyin race level but once thats done it picks straight back up again and all is forgiven.

Buy it, buy it, buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It rusn fairly well on this:
    p3 cu 800@824
    640meg PC100@103
    GF2 Pro 64meg DDR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Worked great on my machine, but then it should. Fantastic game, I played few better last year. The race had me as well, but you'll get over it.

My mate played it, cleared it and loved every minute of it one his machine which was

Athlon 900, 256MD SDRAM, GF2Ti 64MB, which would not be as powerful as your machine.

You will experience a small bit of slowdown though every now and then. I did even on my main rig, which is an XP2100, 512MB PC3200 DDR, GF4 Ti4600. Funnily enough it didn't slow down as much on my other machine which is an Athlon 1200, 512MB SDRAM and a Radeon 8500LE64MB ?

Still it's only very slight and won't affect your enjoyment at all.

Ah all that rubish of it not running on AMD chips could just be propaganda from chipzilla them self`s who want to convinve people that AMD is bad when they are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Originally posted by KdjaC
    the race was insanely hard
    I found that taking it slow & easy around the track gave me a 45 second winning margin over the next car! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by sceptre

P-3 500
    256MB
    Kyro 2 64MB
    </whispers>

If you can get it working with a kyro 2, let me know how.

The lastest drivers say they are updated for Mafia and BF1942, but alas they wont work on my new basic rig

Xp 1800(tbred)
    256MB 333
    Kyro 2 64mb (soon to be gf4)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I bloody love this game. At the moment, I've drifted away from that whole FPS and/or Multiplayer game genre, and I've got a taste for cinematic singleplayer games such as Hitman 2, The Getaway, Max Payne, GTA3/VC and now Mafia.

I've played the demo on a decent computer (DnC TB's, FYI), and it ran pretty f'ing smooth. The gameplay is fantastic and the action is the kind of action you don't want to control, but rather you'd let it lead you into crap like running into a car for cover as you've only got 15 health left. Etc., etc.

I tried to install it on my computer, even tho my comp only has 350 CPU ;) Oddly enough, the game actually ran, however, it was (with no surprise) riddled with bugs and glitches. Like seeing through buildings and the ground.

However, whilst looking at one of the Mafia sites, recent news reveals that Take2 are infact bringing out Mafia on the Playstation 2 and X-Box. Saves me allot of trouble. (Nothing mentioned on the Gamecube however)

-DA-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

its a great game, like gta3 but set in 1920s, the sound is a bit messed up on my audigy, to be exact the speech between characters when your out in the city is too low, not a big problem, the race is great fun and has a good lead up to it, to win the race just dont crash and take it easy, i cant finish the last level and gave up last month

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

last guy can be tough unless you use a strange weapon.
    well strange in the cirumstances :p

Originally posted by spooky donkey
    well i want to get the game and my cpu is only a 1.33 athlon TBird and a 32 meg gf2 gts and i sully expect it to work ok for me.

Well i have since got the game and it ran fin for me on the above spec system.

Advertisement