Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

drug testing

• 24-03-2008 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Can any one tell me what is the usual drug testing used by doctors please. I suspect my boyfriend is back using cocaine. He denies it so I have asked him to go to the doctors tomorrow to be tested. I think he took line last night but I cannot be sure. If he did how long will it be in his system for and will a small amount show up? I would also like to know if it is tested by blood test or urine sample. it wil be lunchtime tomorrow before he will be at the doctors so it will be in his system about 36hrs. Is it possible that he can flush a small amount out betwenn now and then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

As no no one else took this i will:

http://www.urban75.com/Drugs/drugcoke.html
    Detection periods: Cocaine can be detected in the urine up to 12 hours to 3 days after use at common levels.

Doctors will take a urine sample and it will take sometime before results are returned, IMO if you explain to the doctor why you want a drugs test he'll probably tell you & yours go to a relationship counsellor or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

Can any one tell me what is the usual drug testing used by doctors please. I suspect my boyfriend is back using cocaine. He denies it so I have asked him to go to the doctors tomorrow to be tested. I think he took line last night but I cannot be sure. If he did how long will it be in his system for and will a small amount show up? I would also like to know if it is tested by blood test or urine sample. it wil be lunchtime tomorrow before he will be at the doctors so it will be in his system about 36hrs. Is it possible that he can flush a small amount out betwenn now and then?

you can buy drug testers in the chemist now over the counter. i would recomened doing that because the doctor wont actully give him a piece of paper or anything to verify if he has or hasnt taken drugs. the tests the doctors use are just a little tray that you pee on and it will then show up what dugs are in the system. so it is up to your boyfriend if he tells you what the real result was, or whether he even got tested at all. becuase the doctor cant tell you if you call and ask.

the tests in the chemist are about €14 and they are extremely accurate. the only problem is depending on the the individuals system, the cocaine can be gone very quickly. sometimes it can stay in the system for a 3-4 days, sometimes it is gone in 24 hours. it all depends on your diet, if you drink a lot of water and have urinated a lot, some juices also flush the system out quite well. the best time to do it is first thing in the morning because the first pee of the day would have everything in it, later in the day would have less traces. and obviously the less drugs you take, the less chance of it showing up. there is also stuff you can buy that you drink and it cleans out your system so you can pass a drug test but i dont know if it really works or not.

i would get down the chemist tomorrow morning if i were you. they are called the 'multi drug test' and i think they are in a purple packet. most chemsits do them now.

hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭allybhoy

As far as I know (im no doctor but somebody I know really close to me is and we were discussing this very subject in relation to Katy French)cocaine shows up in urine after 2hours and is traceable for 4-5 days. you dont have to give a reason for a drugs test and most GP's have them in their office. For Example, your bf can just say that his job are introducing random testing and that he wants to make sure he's clean b4 he gives one. The doctor wont pass judgement or inform the gardai, however if he suspects he has an addiction he can advise him to see a psychiatrist etc. From what ive heard they are kind of like the pregnanacy dip sticks but have multiple windows for different drugs.Cocaine,Cannibis etc. IE:- they wont say how much Cocaine ur bf has taken, merely that it was detected in his system.....hope this helps
    EDIT:-sorry didnt see the post above me, also as far as i know the doctor (check with your GP) will give u a print out to say whether you passed or not.

sorry, i just read your post fully.

the doctor can do urine test or blood test.

you can get tested by urine and get the results immediatly, within 2 minutes.

or you can get a blood test but these results take a lot longer to come back, a few days if your lucky.

allybhoy wrote: »
    also as far as i know the doctor (check with your GP) will give u a print out to say whether you passed or not.

the doctor wont give you a print out. the test is just a little plastic tray that goes in the bin after the test. there is no way of getting a print out from it. he would have to go to a drug clinic for that and you would have to wait a few days / weeks for the results.

and if you are worried about your bf taking drugs then the last thing you want to do is send him to a drugs clinic to mix with loads of druggies. and if you love him you wouldnt put him through that becuase it is one of the most horrrible experinces you can imagine. if it turned out your suspicions were wrong he would never forgive you the humiliation of sitting in one of those places, trust me on this one.

just go tot he chemist and pick one up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ladd19

It takes about 3-4 days for coke to be out of a persons system. The test can be taken by blood or urine, urine being the most probable in this case.

I suggest talking to your bf and just ask him to be honest and look him in the eyes while saying this to him.

I hope it all works out for ya, x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

What sort of a psycho are you? Relationships are built on trust.

Also, this isn't a PI as it's just a request for medical info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

JC, really , is there a need for name calling.GROW UP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

cathy01 wrote: »
    JC, really , is there a need for name calling.GROW UP.

Name calling it may be but he does have a point.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

JC 2K3 wrote: »

Drugs destroy everyones life, not just the user. You do not know what has happen in the OP's relationship prior to this. I can understand her wish to know if her bf is taking drugs again.

Oh i reported your post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

JC 2K3 Please leave the modding to the mods.

OP, why are you making your boyfriend go the GP for testing? It seems as if there is a lot of mistrust in your relationship which is no way for a relationship to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

wow- that's mad. drug testing your boyfriend. are you going to write him a P45 if he fails?

JC 2K3 wrote: »

that is a bit unfair without knowing the history. the OP's BF might have had a serious drug problem before and she might be afraid its happening again. for all you know he lost the house, the car, and left them in serious debt all due to drugs. they might only be back together on the basis that he never takes drugs again. if this was the case i would completely understand her asking him to take a test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thank you for all the replies both useful and not. As pointed out I obviously do not trust him....well this is obviously for very good reason and any one who has had a relationship with someone who is abusing a substance, any substance will be aware of how cunning and devious they will be to cover their tracks so I am merely arming myself with the appropriate infromation before the result is known.

JC your comments are very alarming. Their cannot be trust in a relationship when drugs are an issue. I am not a psycho but I am deeply in love with a person who is trying to overcome a porblem and I am prepared to give as much help and support as possible. If I request him to have a drug test I feel it is my right inorder to protect my future.

Thanks again to all who contributed useful advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

My gf stood by me through all sorts of cocaine related idiocy which culminated in me going to england for a 3 month stint in rehab. If she ever asked me for a test I would have no problem at all and I see it as her right. The lies I used to come out with over this....I think you have every right to expect him to do this.

My gf stood by me through all sorts of cocaine related idiocy which culminated in me going to england for a 3 month stint in rehab. If she ever asked me for a test I would have no problem at all and I see it as her right. The lies I used to come out with over this....I think you have every right to expect him to do this.

spot on.

i think it takes someone that has put a loved one through that kind of hell to understand the request. when you have broken a loved ones trust so many times and they give you another chance, you will do anything possible to prove to them that you are being truthful. and if that means doing a drug test, you do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

turnsoutiwas, thanks you for the comments.

I took some advice and got a self testing kit. What a delima now. The test tested for 6 drugs and 4 were very definate neg but 2 of them are debatible. The coc and one other one had got pink lines but they were very faint. So I do not know if this means that there were traces of drugs or whether it means that any line means no drugs at all. Very confussing. I should say the test needed a line to appear to conclude no drugs taken. Similar to a pregnanchy test. He is still saying he didn't take any thing but i need to be sure. At this stage there are prob no drugs in his system if he had taken them so i will have to go on instinct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,073 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I understand wanting to find out OP but if he doesnt want to say theres not much else you can do. If you want to take it this far you clearly have trust issues to sort out before you figure out how to test your boyfriends blood and urine. If he wants to admit it - great. But you arent going to be able to force him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Think turnsoutiwas and boards om make some good points here. They have been in this situation before. It takes time for the trust to return. OP maybe give him a pass on this one, but i'd say you're right in your suspicions. Maybe keep a test kit handy for the next time you suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭allybhoy

board om wrote: »
    the doctor wont give you a print out. the test is just a little plastic tray that goes in the bin after the test. there is no way of getting a print out from it.

Hate to be a stickler but I researched this and it is possible for a print out from the doctor. Obviously its not like a lab sample but I was told that doctors do drug tests all the time for court cases, like drug possession, drug driving etc. Apparently it just has a list of the tested drugs, like cocaine/cannabis> negative etc, the GP then stamps and signs these and they can be presented in court. If a judge orders somebody for testing they can either do it at a government body (HSE Centre), or their local GP, the HSE is prefferred as the tests are more accurate and give actual ammounts if the tests come back positive. But the printout from their local GP will still be taken as evidence

• Advertisement

allybhoy wrote: »
    Hate to be a stickler but I researched this and it is possible for a print out from the doctor. Obviously its not like a lab sample but I was told that doctors do drug tests all the time for court cases, like drug possession, drug driving etc. Apparently it just has a list of the tested drugs, like cocaine/cannabis> negative etc, the GP then stamps and signs these and they can be presented in court. If a judge orders somebody for testing they can either do it at a government body (HSE Centre), or their local GP, the HSE is prefferred as the tests are more accurate and give actual ammounts if the tests come back positive. But the printout from their local GP will still be taken as evidence

the HSE clinic will give you a printout. the only way your GP can you give you a printout is if you get a blood test. that is because the GP sends the blood off to be tested elsewhere and he actually gets a report sent back which he can then give to you. if you do an on the spot urine test, some GP's will take a photocopy of the test results and then sign it to say whether it showed up as positive or negative. but its not worth the paper its printed on as it isnt accepted anywhere. and this definitly wouldnt be accepted by any court as proof of anything. and it is only if your GP has the facilities do do it. most wont do this as it is just hassle for them, so they will refer you to the clinic if you need it for court.

if you are ordered by a court to get treatment instead of a prison sentence for a drug related crime then you would be sent to somewhere like coolmine, or one of the clinics closest to your area. they would then test you as regularly as the judge had requested. you hardly think a judge is going to let a criminal off a serious drug crime with the promise of geting treatment and then accept a signed piece of paper from the local GP do you?

i have had to do a drug test with a GP once a week for the last 3 years, and for 2 years before that i had to get tested bi-weekly at a HSE clinic. so i am working off first hand experience. where as you are working off second hand knowledge gained in a conversation based around katy french.

Think turnsoutiwas and boards om make some good points here. They have been in this situation before. It takes time for the trust to return. OP maybe give him a pass on this one, but i'd say you're right in your suspicions. Maybe keep a test kit handy for the next time you suspect.

i think thats all you can do. you dont want to throw everything away on a suspicion. its not worth losing you bf when you arent 100%.

to be 100% you really would have needed to test him within the first 24 hours becuase you dont think he took that much so it would have been hard to detect. but also those tests need to be used exactly as the instructions say, if used even slightly differnt then the results can be misread. so i would follow Roundtowers advice and keep a spare tester hidden for a a rainy day. it will be shock to your bf if you pull that out next time you are suspicious. but hopefully you will never have to use it.

all the best

Advertisement