Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How low would you go?

Options
  • 21-02-2008 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Selling the GF's car and need a quick enough sale as she needs a diesel car for commuting to work each day. 100 mile round trip :)

Its on offer (see below) for 7250 or nearest offer.

Got a phone call from a chap last night to view the car and he asked what is the rock bottom lowest you can go. I said that no un reasonable offer would be declined.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=931043

How low do you think you can go before giving away the car. I have a figure in mind but just interested in other peoples views.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

my car will hopefully be sold to a guy today. i knocked 2 grand off the price i had it advertised 5 weeks ago to try get it gone.i have bought my next car so money is tight and need it gone...needs must etc

if he comes to view hes buying either way so just haggle. i'd say max 500 in your situation. whats another week or two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭mountain

sometimes if you dont trade your car in against a newer one, you can finish up in a situation like this. the car isnt moving, you have borrowed for the new one, and you become desperate to shift the thing. Hapened me twice, now if i wasnt trading my car in, i would sell it privately before buying a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

This is funny.

She went to a Skoda dealer, saw a Octavia she liked.

21k cash sale, 23k with trade in. He offered her X for her car.

In effect he was offering her 2k less than what he was saying because a straight sale was 2k less than the price of the Skoda with a trade in.

Boom: 500 is what i was going to recommend to her to let it go for. 6750e

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

depends what you can afford to let it go for and how quickly you want it gone, I was going to say 6200 - 6600 depending on your situation before i seen your post about knocking 500 off it

draffodx wrote: »
    depends what you can afford to let it go for and how quickly you want it gone, I was going to say 6200 - 6600 depending on your situation before i seen your post about knocking 500 off it

I know whats on offer for a trade in you see and 6200e is lower than it.

• Advertisement

ah i see I thought you went with the cash deal with the dealer already, yeh i'd leave it a few hundred over whats on offer as a trade in

draffodx wrote: »
    ah i see I thought you went with the cash deal with the dealer already, yeh i'd leave it a few hundred over whats on offer as a trade in

Great minds think alike. I would even suggest going as low as the trade in value to clear the car so she can buy a diesel up the north, great savigns to be made at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Depending on when the NCT expires in '09 (ie, are you selling this with a full year to go?), I'd say reduce ask to 6500 and let it go rock bottom to 6000. Not based on an appraisal of the car (which seems fine), rather an appraisal of your market (Female, first car 20-25 yrs old and loaded with insurance and using a car loan to finance the lot).

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but my honest opinion, based on the experience of buying and selling three cars to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭timemachine

Hi Kluivert, have you sold this yet. I am on the look out for new motor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kluivert wrote: »
    Selling the GF's car and need a quick enough sale as she needs a diesel car for commuting to work each day. 100 mile round trip :)

Its on offer (see below) for 7250 or nearest offer.

Got a phone call from a chap last night to view the car and he asked what is the rock bottom lowest you can go. I said that no un reasonable offer would be declined.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=931043

How low do you think you can go before giving away the car. I have a figure in mind but just interested in other peoples views.

Thanks

i would be offering €5250 and then walk away if the sale didnt go through!!!
    its a tight market out there at the moment, and to be honest selling private at the moment, you just have to take what someone is willing to offer.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    i would be offering €5250 and then walk away if the sale didnt go through!!!
    its a tight market out there at the moment, and to be honest selling private at the moment, you just have to take what someone is willing to offer.

Again as I said before I know what the trade in value is from a Dealer and would not be prepared to go lower than that .

@ Unionman: Your probably right but its ideal for learner drivers as its cheap on insurance and tax. Cheaper on Insurance than buying a 10 yr old Clio 1.2 believe it or not. I understand why myself just is.

@ Timemachine: Yes the car is still for sale and your more than welcome to view it and put an offer on it. I have sent you a Private Message.

Please see below:

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=45133&cat=2

Thanks for input guys its appears that everyone still loves a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

When talking money, always stay firm, tell them the asking price and show them the car. If they ask what's the lowest you'll go, repeat the asking price and say it's up to them to make an offer based on their viewing of the car. You'll be surprised how close to the asking price most people will offer but if you name your lowest price, they'll always try and get another bit off.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    When talking money, always stay firm, tell them the asking price and show them the car. If they ask what's the lowest you'll go, repeat the asking price and say it's up to them to make an offer based on their viewing of the car. You'll be surprised how close to the asking price most people will offer but if you name your lowest price, they'll always try and get another bit off.

Thats a good bit of advice I will take that on board thank you very much.

but remember to give a good price if its a boardsie ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It is good advice, but I think your asking price is too high to generate much interest.

I'd advertise at €6000 and accept €5500

It is good advice, but I think your asking price is too high to generate much interest.

I'd advertise at €6000 and accept €5500

Again the trade in value is higher, and its one of the lowest priced cars in its group.

Most people have said lower than the figure I have in mind.

Off course boardisers get a discount.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Granted but the real trade in value is against the cash price.

Granted but the real trade in value is against the cash price.

I was hoping you wouldnt spot that :D.

You just made me laugh loudly :D

The car sold for 6800, the trade in value was 6500e less 2000e from the cash price.

Dropped 500e which wasnt bad considering she needed a quick enough sale.

The car needs a new timing belt and a service so considering that as well, it wasnt a bad sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

mountain wrote: »
    sometimes if you dont trade your car in against a newer one, you can finish up in a situation like this. the car isnt moving, you have borrowed for the new one, and you become desperate to shift the thing. Hapened me twice, now if i wasnt trading my car in, i would sell it privately before buying a new one.

Meh only a fool would find themselves in this situation. If it happens to you twice...well then...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The important thing here is NOT to tell someone your lowest over the phone !

Tell them to come view the car and make you an offer. If you tell someone your lowest price, when they arrive out that has now become the starting price and your asking price is ignored.

I sold a car recently, it was a pristine low mileage example so in the add I stated what dealers asked so folks could compare other adds, then I stated my lower price and simply said that I was prepared to accept reasonable offers for cash. This gets people interested enough to make the call at which time you need to have your spiel rehearsed to get them interested enough to come and see the car !

I have sold every car I tried to the first viewer and always got what I wanted for it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭mountain

Meh only a fool would find themselves in this situation. If it happens to you twice...well then...

oh, if only i was as clever as you....

Merc

This is the same approach that I used.

I was asked was the the rock bottom I could go. I said no un reasonable offer would be refused.

When he viewed the car he asked again, I told him my price of 7250 and stated that you wouldnt get that with a dealer and he agreed.

I knocked off 250e for timing belt and serviced which is over due.

7000e was my mark anyway. He said 6700e was the best he could manage really but stretched to 6800 after informing him that he was getting the deal of his life at 6800e.

I hope his other half gets good use of the car because because my GF was upset to see it go but I think today she's looking forward to getting a new car

Time is start looking for a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Well done!

Advertisement