Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My Car does not sound right!!!

Options
  • 27-02-2008 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I have a 01 BMW 318Ci. There is like a ticking noise from the car when the engine is running. The car sounds like a tractor to be honest!!!! Anyone any ideas what the problem could be?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I can't remember if this has VANOS or not but whatever it is get it properly checked out and do as little driving as is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

A bit more info please...

Can you only hear it at idle, does it sound like its coming from the top of the engine? Ticking is usually the tappets, what shape is the oil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 stevokelly

Cheers for the replies.

It is hard to explain. The car sounds like a really bad diesel engine. When the engine is running but in neutral or not being reved it sounds very bad. Not as noticeable (but still noticeable) when the car is being driven. Checked oil and it seems fine???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Check for signs of the exhaust leaking specifically up around the manifold or cat.

Personally I'd go and get it checked out or serviced properly. It might be due a good service.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm not familiar with BM's so this is more general advice:
    Lack of oil leads to noisy tappets on most engines - but you said you checked it.
    If it's a timing chain rather than belt then could be a loose tensioner.
    Some water pumps tend to 'tick' as well just before they go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Sounds as though the timing is off. This could be fatal for the engine if not checked out. If I was you I'd have it towed to your garage, without turning it on again!

Advertisement