Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gay friendly pub/s in killarney

• 21-04-2014 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

hi, we are new'ish group of gay guys in Kerry and surrounding counties. We meet up once a month on a Saturday night for a get together and a chat in a convivial pub environment. We have been in Tralee for the past few months and it has been great and now we want to take it to Killarney for the June bank holiday. Anyone know of gay friendly pubs in the town where we could hang out for a few hours starting on May 31st?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nialler39

The kube...apperantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

Hi,

I am planning a cycle on the June bank holiday down that direction. If you guys are having an event let me know as would be great to have people to hang out with on the Saturday night as I'll be on my own.

Ciaran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

stay away from tatlers and mustangs anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

These questions come up every now and again and I find the logic behind them a bit disturbing. ( I never go to pubs myself)

It implies that unless a pub is considered gay friendly then all the other pubs are gay unfriendly - or am I viewing the issue too simplistically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

These questions come up every now and again and I find the logic behind them a bit disturbing. ( I never go to pubs myself)

It implies that unless a pub is considered gay friendly then all the other pubs are gay unfriendly - or am I viewing the issue too simplistically?
    It's just a way to identify places where you're going to be safe openly expressing yourself as a gay person. There are many smaller town pubs that are a little more hostile in attitude towards it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

I went with a guy to a pub off O'Connell Street, and we left after a pint and went to Sweetman's - it wasn't that there was hostility in the first place, but a combination of the layout, the clientele and the low-volume made it indefinably uncomfortable. If I ask for a gay-friendly suggestion, it would be with that situation in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Cydoniac wrote: »
    It's just a way to identify places where you're going to be safe openly expressing yourself as a gay person. There are many smaller town pubs that are a little more hostile in attitude towards it.

What is the definition of openly expressing yourself though? Are you referring to stereotypical gay or camp attributes (which I really think most gay people do not really display)?

I and my OH always go out in straight bars anytime I'm in Kerry (where I'm originally from) and we take a lot of trips to other rural counties and frequent straight pubs there too. OK, we don't be sitting on eachothers laps, snogging the throats off eachother or snuggling up to eachother over a pint in those places but none of my straight friends that we go out with would necessarily do that either. We chat, laugh, dance, drink, meet new people the same as anyone else and never get hassle. I don't feel we are compromising our night or as Panti might say, feel oppressed in such situations. Yes, there are dodgy pubs out there but they would be avoided by most self respecting people (gay or straight).

The only situation I'd see whether a bar being gay friendly as relevant is if you are somone looking to score on a night out but I didn't interpret that as the OP's motivation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

ongarboy wrote: »
    What is the definition of openly expressing yourself though? Are you referring to stereotypical gay or camp attributes (which I really think most gay people do not really display)?

No I'm not, but there is something nice about being in a pub where you don't have to worry at all about saying certain things or if you're with your partner, just being a little closer and more comfortable. Front Lounge in Dublin is a good example, lots of people of all orientations just having a good evening, chilled out atmosphere and I know I can just be 100% myself and kiss my bf if it just feels like that.

Similarly if you happen to be trans etc you don't have to feel that same judgement (although there is still transphobia even in gay community, just to a lesser extent)

In lots of 'straight' pubs too that i enjoy very much but there's always that silent distance between us when we're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mackD

I don't know if you could brand them "gay-friendly" as such but i always enjoyThe Grand, The Lane Bar and The Cube/Crypt.
    I'd also recommend Courtney's just for the really nice, old fashioned pub atmosphere in there.
    As already mentioned in this thread, I'd avoid Mustangs (mostly because it is a dump anyway).
    Killarney is such a lovely town anyway that you can't really go wrong (except for Mustangs):p

Advertisement