Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Draftee may be first (openly?) Gay NFL Athlete

Options
  • 10-02-2014 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,857 ✭✭✭✭

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?id=9425732
    RALPH D. RUSSO AP College Football Writer
    February 10, 2014 (WPVI) -- Tolerance is about to be tested in the National Football League.

And Michael Sam hopes his ability is all that matters, not his sexual orientation.

Missouri's All-America defensive end came out to the entire country Sunday night and could become the first openly gay player in America's most popular sport.

"I just want to go to the team who drafts me," Sam told ESPN in an interview that aired Sunday, "because that team knows about me, knows that I'm gay, and also knows that I work hard. That's the team I want to go to."
    Nobody has ever done this before.

In interviews with ESPN, The New York Times and Outsports, Sam said publicly for the first time that he was gay. He said he came out to his teammates and coaches at Missouri in August.

Sam will participate in the NFL combine later this month in Indianapolis and is projected to be a mid-round draft pick in May.

"Hopefully it will be the same like my locker room," he told ESPN. "It's a workplace. If you've ever been in a Division I or pro locker room, it's a business place. You want to act professional."

Sam received much public support Sunday night from people throughout the world of sports.

[Cont'd]

"I think a lot of guys in the NFL are going to say they will accept it, but there are a lot of guys who won't," said Garcia, now a sports radio show host with WFNZ-AM in Charlotte. "The reality is Michael Sam is going to open himself up to a lot of criticism and a lot of challenges. Those are challenges most gay people have to go through, but when you are dealing with alpha males and some meatheads in an NFL locker room it's amplified. And there are some guys who have strong religious beliefs, too, so he's going to be judged. He's going to face some things that are going to be very difficult to overcome."

[cont'd]
    Of course I say openly and with caution given that for all we know there are active, gay NFL athletes who have yet to identify themselves. Several players in the past have identified only after retirement.

NBA's Jason Collins came out in April of last year. The NHL and MLB have yet to host any openly gay athletes.

The odds of Michael Sam not getting a draft bid are incredibly slim

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Overheal wrote: »
    http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?id=9425732Of course I say openly and with caution given that for all we know there are active, gay NFL athletes who have yet to identify themselves. Several players in the past have identified only after retirement.

NBA's Jason Collins came out in April of last year. The NHL and MLB have yet to host any openly gay athletes.

The odds of Michael Sam not getting a draft bid are incredibly slim

OK well gay pride is always lovely. Erm what is the NFL??? NHL ?

Well it's American Football stuff I guess. :o

I wonder what would happen if more football players here were open.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

It was a smart idea to come out before the draft in many ways- it means he can be open wherever he goes, and not tied in by the management that controls everything about a player- everyone knows what they're dealing with. A couple of good teams (Packers, Patriots) have said they'd be happy to take him if he's a player that they need- but he's a small enough guy for his position. Could be a smart move for a team that wants some positive publicity, since they can draft him in a lower round and be 100% sure of getting publicity out of it.

If he's a good player, the fans will mostly get over it, if they care at all. Once he's winning and playing well, most people won't care. The second he has a bad game though, they'd be all over him like a rash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Michael Brown disagrees

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/02/11/us-radio-host-selfish-footballer-michael-sam-come-gay/

Not sure if this is homophobia or just idiocy. Why shouldn't Michael Sam be proud to be himself? If his team mates have a problem being around a gay athlete is that his problem or theirs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Lou.m wrote: »
    OK well gay pride is always lovely. Erm what is the NFL??? NHL ?

Well it's American Football stuff I guess. :o

I wonder what would happen if more football players here were open.

NFL = National Football League; the professional American football league that constitutes one of the four major professional sports leagues in North America. It is composed of 32 teams divided equally between the National Football Conference (NFC) and the American Football Conference (AFC). The highest professional level of American Football in the world.

NHL = National Hockey League; an "unincorporated not-for-profit association" which operates a major professional ice hockey league. Currently there are 30 franchised member clubs, 23 located in the United States and 7 in Canada. Headquartered in New York City, the NHL is widely considered to be the premier professional ice hockey league in the world.

Slowly but surely, more and more players in all sports are coming out. Being the first player to come out, doesn't mean you'll be the first gay player in the sport. Robbie Rogers, Thomas Hitzlsperger and John Fashanu are players who played in English football, but both only came out after they left the game. And you can probably guess why.

It is surely a fact, that somewhere across Europe's top football leagues, there is at least one gay footballer. But you have to understand that football stadiums are still pure hotbeds of intolerance, discrimination and so on. Racism is only finally being gotten rid of. 14 years into the 21st century, and racism is still a huge problem in football. Imagine what would happen to the first brave soul who decided to come out.

I always use this example to illustrate a point:

If you think of the top few leagues in Europe (English, Spanish, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Dutch; 7 for this example). In the English, Spanish, Italian and French leagues, there are 20 teams. In the German and Dutch leagues, there are 18 teams. In the Portuguese league, there are 16 teams. On average, there will be between 20 and 30 players in a team's squad. For this example, I'll use 23 players (as its the number of players that usually go in an International squad for a tournament).

So, assuming each team has a minimum of 23 players, that gives us a rough total of at least 3,036 players across the seven leagues. According to statistics, that 1 in 12 or so of men are gay, or 8.33%, gives us an approximate that there are (give or take) 250 gay footballers currently plying their trade across the top 7 professional football leagues in Europe. Start adding in other leagues, lower-tier leagues and you know where this is going.

Maybe my figures are flawed (the percentage of people that are gay is one that is very, very hard to get correct; I just used the one I'd heard most), but the fact is that there are undoubtedly dozens of footballers that are gay. But due to political pressures, fear of discrimination, fear for their professional lives and maybe even fear for their lives in general, they remain in the closet.

Of course, the opposite has happened; a perfectly straight footballer was for a long time rumoured to be gay and his life was almost ruined by endless taunting and discrimination, even though he was not gay and had a wife and children. That man did not play football in some obscure league in Eastern Europe. That man was Graeme Le Saux, who played top level football with clubs such as Blackburn and Chelsea in the mid-1990's. He endured endless abuse from players, including such lauded figures as Robbie Fowler, Paul Ince and Robbie Savage. This is his story, and it's quite a jarring read and quite sad.

http://reflectionsasia.wordpress.com/2007/09/11/graeme-le-saux-how-gay-slurs-almost-wrecked-my-career/

Le Saux was a gentleman who had a touch of class about him. This is why he was singled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

and on from my serious thoughts... I just saw this and (I hate this term!) lol'd.

gDpLyZT.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭eaglach

Great video in response to Michael Sam's announcement:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

That video is really encouraging but I took a step back when he was saying, "I don't understand it either!" about someone being gay. What's to understand? Is he talking about sex? Explain sex in a normal world and you'll have eyebrows raising everywhere. Who does what to the where now? Is it about holding hands? WHY THE **** WOULD YOU CLUTCH ONTO SOMEONE AND UPSET THEIR BALANCE?

What's to understand? Person A likes Person B and People AB do things that's none of the ****ing business of Telepresenter C.

Is it that a man can love another man? "I CAN'T UNDERSTAND PEOPLE LIKING EACH OTHER!?!"

Jesus Christ I despair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Lyaiera wrote: »
    That video is really encouraging but I took a step back when he was saying, "I don't understand it either!" about someone being gay. What's to understand? Is he talking about sex? Explain sex in a normal world and you'll have eyebrows raising everywhere. Who does what to the where now? Is it about holding hands? WHY THE **** WOULD YOU CLUTCH ONTO SOMEONE AND UPSET THEIR BALANCE?

What's to understand? Person A likes Person B and People AB do things that's none of the ****ing business of Telepresenter C.

Is it that a man can love another man? "I CAN'T UNDERSTAND PEOPLE LIKING EACH OTHER!?!"

Jesus Christ I despair.

Yeah but someone saying that they don't always feel comfortable with gay people but then saying basically they deserve equality is a big step forward.

He is saying I don't get homosexuals but I get that they should be treated equally with love and respect. It's a step.

I get your frustration though.

It is discouraging to see that gay people are so far form their worldview.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 generallyjack

Dale Hansen was on Ellen today. He seems to be a really lovely man. He is so eloquent he manages to hit all of the nails on their heads in a very short interview.

Ellen is great for always highlighting the important markers on the road to full equality. I sometimes wonder how many hearts and minds she alone has changed in our favour.

Lyaiera wrote: »

Jesus Christ I despair.

I kind of understand tbh. I have no real idea as to why anyone would be sexually attracted to men, so I get where he's coming from. He understands that people are gay, and that it's as real and normal as straight relationships.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Michael Sam got drafted, a little later than expected and almost didn't but that happens in the NFL draft. Players who get the phone call are usually very emotional but this one seemed even more so...pretty cool moment

Although he faces an uphill battle to make to team, he's got a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Michael Brown disagrees

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/02/11/us-radio-host-selfish-footballer-michael-sam-come-gay/

Not sure if this is homophobia or just idiocy. Why shouldn't Michael Sam be proud to be himself? If his team mates have a problem being around a gay athlete is that his problem or theirs?

But sadly, it might turn out to be his problem. . .might end up treated as a pariah.

I read a couple of articles on the internet, mainly coming from U.S. And the amount of hatred in the comments below is unbelievable. There were some comments regarding how he will be judged based on his playing ability - but I got this feeling that people hope that he will fail.
    Fair play to him, I hope he has a good career ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Irish Aris wrote: »
    But sadly, it might turn out to be his problem. . .might end up treated as a pariah.

I read a couple of articles on the internet, mainly coming from U.S. And the amount of hatred in the comments below is unbelievable. There were some comments regarding how he will be judged based on his playing ability - but I got this feeling that people hope that he will fail.
    Fair play to him, I hope he has a good career ahead of him.

Internet comments are probably not a fair representation of overall people's sentiment.

Sam's jersey is the 2nd highest selling rookie jersey. Not bad for a guy who had 248 other rookies picked ahead of him and especially since its a big investment for people on a guy who may not make the team.

Even tho there are some who don't want him to succeed, there is a lot of people hoping he does.

I'm going to be supporting the Rams next season on foot of this- well, after the Packers. ;)

Advertisement