Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid Passport Story

Options
  • 08-11-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Well Ive lost 2 passports in the past 6months coz Im a drunk idiot. Lost the first one about 6 months ago on a night out, then got a new one in mid-July, which lasted 32 days before I got pissed one night, woke up and shes gonzo. So last night Im sitting there and get a phonecall from a dodgy number.

"Hello Brigante"
    "Yeah?"
    "Your Brigante?"
    "Yeah whos this?"
    "Such and such Garda Station, you must've lost your passport somewhere down the line. This isn't the first time its been handed in. Anyway we have it here!"

So Im delighted.. Go to the Garda station.

"Y'allright there?"
    "Yeah just here to collect my Passport"

He goes gets it and is looking at me weird. Looks at the passport, looks at me, Looks at the passport. Im thinking its clearly me its only a recent photo. Whats this plonker playing at?

"Whats your name?"
    "Brigante"

He hands over the goods. I have a look and there it is my old passport I lost 6 months ago before I lost the new one, with me as 15 year old with a shaved head. Its still valid til March.. Is it cancelled or what??

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

No not if youve had a new one issued to replace it. You'll need a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Loose two passports in the space of 10 years and your third will be just a 2 year issue and will cost the same as a 10 year passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

It's bad enough that idiots lose their mobile phones, their virginty and their self respect while on the beer.

However, I draw the line at passports. Who in their right mind decides to bring their passport on a session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Loose two passports in the space of 10 years and your third will be just a 2 year issue and will cost the same as a 10 year passport.

Any more losses after that and they refuse to issue them too I think. Except on a per-trip basis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

orourkeda wrote: »
    It's bad enough that idiots lose their mobile phones, their virginty and their self respect while on the beer.

However, I draw the line at passports. Who in their right mind decides to bring their passport on a session.

You never know when you may suddenly have to flee the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Loads, those that use it for ID, also anyone travelling to / from UK on a flight will need their passports. I was in London last weekend and had to have mine on me the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

You never know when you may suddenly have to flee the country.

My thoughts exactly I always bring my passport on a night out. But if I were to loose it and get it replaced I wouldnt bring it out anymore.
    I think once is hard luck but twice......

Loads, those that use it for ID, also anyone travelling to / from UK on a flight will need their passports. I was in London last weekend and had to have mine on me the whole time.

We all know what happens when you get on Heathrow bound flights while under the influence of alcohol. Probably another good reason to leave your passport at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It wasn't that stupid a story.

I'm a bit disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Brigante

Its either that or my Drivers Licence and most off-licences wont accept the DL.. ****ers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

You would have reported that passport as Lost when you applied for your last one. Thus that passport would be red flagged at any airport. Send it in to your nearest Passport Office with a letter stating that you have recovered a previously lost passport. It may help your passport history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

Brigante wrote: »
    Its either that or my Drivers Licence and most off-licences wont accept the DL.. ****ers

Do they still accept the garda Id thing, I remember when I was 18 anyone I knew with one of them were never let in?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

We all know what happens when you get on Heathrow bound flights while under the influence of alcohol. Probably another good reason to leave your passport at home.

You have to bring your passport to go to England

You 17 year olds need to start growing beards or something.

The fact that a 17 year old cant blag their way into a boozer is a shameful indictment of the complete lack of resourcefulness of the average irish teen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Ahh - it's the off-licences' fault in more ways than one -for serving you so you get rat @rsed and lose the passport, and then for accepting the passport as proof of ID so you can get rat @rsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

clived2 wrote: »

Eh? No you don't.

It's a preferred photo ID for airlines, but there's no passport control.

There are other photo IDs acceptable to airlines also. So no, you don't HAVE to.

Unless I really have been away too long.

I do understand the workings of boarding an aircraft. I have flown to England in my lifetime.

Is it necessary to go on the scoops before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You certainly do not, don't post drivel

Here is Aer Lingus and that's only one airline
    Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel
    Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification. The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
    Valid Passport
    Drivers licence with photo
    International student card
    National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    Bus pass with photo
    Work ID with photo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I carry my passport everywhere. In France you are supposed to have your ID all the time, and I don't have a French ID card so I use my passport. It's not ideal but I don't want a fine (even though I have been told I'll never be asked for it cos I'm white).

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Brigante

Ahh - it's the off-licences' fault in more ways than one -for serving you so you get rat @rsed and lose the passport, and then for accepting the passport as proof of ID so you can get rat @rsed.

Exactly what Im trying to say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭trackcar

if you a flying to the UK with Ryanair. You Will need you passport

as for taking you passport with you on a Saturday night, You never know when you might just bump into Johnny Ronan & Rosanna, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

http://www.ryanair.com/ie/questions/what-travel-documentation-do-i-need-to-travel-on-ryanair-flights
    Ryanair does NOT accept driver licences, electoral/residence cards, family books, seaman books, military ID cards etc. Expired or damaged forms of photo-id will not be accepted on any flight.

Except for one minor detail.

The off licence didnt pour the alcohol down his throat

Luxie wrote: »
    Eh? No you don't.

It's a preferred photo ID for airlines, but there's no passport control.

There are other photo IDs acceptable to airlines also. So no, you don't HAVE to.

Unless I really have been away too long.

I just said that to see what responses I would get, this is my thinking aswell

Recently went to london with Aer Arann, told them the ID I was using and they said no problem, went on said flight no problem(student type). Had a brillant time, arrived back in Aer Arann Galway to be greeted by Inmigration control with a Gardai manning the patrol. I produce said ID, he asks where is my passport ( me laughing in my head, yeah deport me, free lift to Gardai Station in centre of town and collect 300 euro as i pass go) I explain that I asked Aer Arann if said ID was ok, He said he didnt care and he was the Gardai ( as if I couldnt tell from the foundation level Leaving cert head on him, oh yeah and the uniform) However all the time I was polite and didnt say a word because this guard just wanted to cause me trouble, he then began to chastise me over the fact I should be old enough to carry my passport on me etc, I actually say yeah sorry ( weekend was too good to have this argument) what I wanted to say was why dont you have this conversation on ID protocol with Aer Arann and not have me discussing the finer points with you on Monday night at 11 oclock, eventually he lets me go with some more minor abuse, I didnt take his badge number as he was a thick guard just wanting to be a dick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Well Ive lost 2 passports in the past 6months coz Im a drunk idiot. Lost the first one about 6 months ago on a night out, then got a new one in mid-July, which lasted 32 days before I got pissed one night, woke up and shes gonzo. So last night Im sitting there and get a phonecall from a dodgy number.

"Hello Brigante"
    "Yeah?"
    "Your Brigante?"
    "Yeah whos this?"
    "Such and such Garda Station, you must've lost your passport somewhere down the line. This isn't the first time its been handed in. Anyway we have it here!"

So Im delighted.. Go to the Garda station.

"Y'allright there?"
    "Yeah just here to collect my Passport"

He goes gets it and is looking at me weird. Looks at the passport, looks at me, Looks at the passport. Im thinking its clearly me its only a recent photo. Whats this plonker playing at?

"Whats your name?"
    "Brigante"

He hands over the goods. I have a look and there it is my old passport I lost 6 months ago before I lost the new one, with me as 15 year old with a shaved head. Its still valid til March.. Is it cancelled or what??

yes it is cancelled, send it back to the passport office and the will clip the corners and send it back to you. You can only lose two passports before the start asking questions. The fact you have found this one will be in your favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I just said that to see what responses I would get, this is my thinking aswell

Recently went to london with Aer Arann, told them the ID I was using and they said no problem, went on said flight no problem(student type). Had a brillant time, arrived back in Aer Arann Galway to be greeted by Inmigration control with a Gardai manning the patrol. I produce said ID, he asks where is my passport ( me laughing in my head, yeah deport me, free lift to Gardai Station in centre of town and collect 300 euro as i pass go) I explain that I asked Aer Arann if said ID was ok, He said he didnt care and he was the Gardai ( as if I couldnt tell from the foundation level Leaving cert head on him, oh yeah and the uniform) However all the time I was polite and didnt say a word because this guard just wanted to cause me trouble, he then began to chastise me over the fact I should be old enough to carry my passport on me etc, I actually say yeah sorry ( weekend was too good to have this argument) what I wanted to say was why dont you have this conversation on ID protocol with Aer Arann and not have me discussing the finer points with you on Monday night at 11 oclock, eventually he lets me go with some more minor abuse, I didnt take his badge number as he was a thick guard just wanting to be a dick

Foundation English FAIL.

Please use paragraphs & proper punctuation in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Foundation English FAIL.

Foundation Moderation FAIL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Redlion wrote: »
    Foundation Moderation FAIL.

*Amateur Moderator failing a potential Moderator fail.

*Some, if not all, of the above is completely untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Get an age card. Most places only accept age cards and passports now as they are phasing out accepting driving licences.
    Its 20 quid and the size of a credit card, simples.

• Advertisement

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Foundation English FAIL.

Your dead right

Advertisement