Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent battery power non smartphone?

Options
  • 09-07-2014 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

I'm on the look out for a regular mobile phone. I suppose you could say the "old style".

I am sick of being "switched on" all the time, and just want a phone that can send text messages and make calls.

I'm online during the day as it is, and have gotten into the habit of arsing around on an iphone in the evening time when I could be doing something constructive.

I'm also sick of having to power it everyday, so I want to go back to an old phone and use my laptop for email related stuff.

I haven't had a "normal" phone in years. Any recommendations of something with decent power which isn't complete junk?

I suppose a Nokia 113 is as low as I could go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Nokia 515? Got a white one unlocked from amazon.de for about €125
    No wifi but can get just over a week from the battery* before I recharge (although it would probably go another day or two). My phone usage is quite light though even if I leave it on 24/7. *With 3G switched off.

Also the email and web broswers are ok~ish if you're stuck but not good enough for constant use.
    Some more suggestions on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'm not bothered about email or web browsers. Sick of the iphone/smartphone to be honest. Charging once or twice a week would be perfect

Sorry, didn't see that thread, so if the mods want to delete this one, feel free....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Any basic phone especially if its 2G only will last one or two weeks. 2G phones don't work on 3 though.

We have a Samsung cobble E1150 or E1195 which lasts ages. Non standard charger only draw back. You get a basic phone for about 9.99~19.99

Something like the Nokia 515 is called a feature phone. Nothing basic about that. Not cheap either.

That other thread is a little confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

All my older Nokias have had really long battery time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

seachto7 wrote: »
    I'm not bothered about email or web browsers. Sick of the iphone/smartphone to be honest. Charging once or twice a week would be perfect

Sorry, didn't see that thread, so if the mods want to delete this one, feel free....

Did you get something?

• Advertisement

Not yet. After my latest bill, I should be getting the finger out! There are a few bog standard ones in Vodafone I guess I could get...

Problem is a trimmed my SIM card to fit into an iphone, so not sure if they will replace it to fit a new phone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

seachto7 wrote: »
    Not yet. After my latest bill, I should be getting the finger out! There are a few bog standard ones in Vodafone I guess I could get...

Problem is a trimmed my SIM card to fit into an iphone, so not sure if they will replace it to fit a new phone.

They will replace it for you, if the sim is gone faulty. If they try to charge you, just get a sim adapter for it to convert from nano/micro back to mini.

If you really want just calls and texts with long batter the 100 is a good choice. I know its old at this stage but it will last. Its very easy get a full week from once charge.

Sim free:> http://www.mymemory.ie/SIM-Free-Mobile-Phones/Nokia/NOKIA-100-Sim-Free-_-Unlocked--Mobile-Phone

That might be a good choice for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

I just retired a Nokia 113 in favour of an iPhone. 33,000 recieved messages and ~220 hours of calls, definitely a bulletproof little phone.

As for battery life, it was great when it was new but having been on the go for the past 2 years has certainly worn it out a bit. Still worth a look for €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Andy369

biko wrote: »
    All my older Nokias have had really long battery time.

Yes, mine too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Kevin Moran

Got to echo Davy's advice, Nokia 100's are great bits of stuff, 5-6 days of battery life and tough out too. We use them as loan phones in work and usually that means they should only last 2-3 months before the abuse takes them but we have a few pushing a year old and not a bother on them. €25 for a sim free one is awesome and they'll come with the two year Nokia warranty on the off chance something does go wrong. I doubt it though :cool:

I think I might replace my old iphone and just get one of these...

• Site Banned Posts: 6 Nearuhere

u r on a higher level actually, I will die without a smartphone. And u get a phone that just can send text messages and make calls, u will later need a music player, a video player, a PSP, a navigator and so on...

I dunno, I had a Nokia 100 that gave up after a year and the same happened to my dad with his. I'm using a Samsung GT-E1170 with a cracked screen for the last 2 years and get 10 days out of the battery. The button layout isn't as intuitive as a Nokia and some of the buttons are impossible to press. :P

I dunno, I had a Nokia 100 that gave up after a year and the same happened to my dad with his.

What happened it?

They have 24 month warranty apart from the battery

Just wouldn't send or receive calls or texts. It was a 20 quid phone so I wasn't arsed chasing up after it. My dad's after a couple of years started randomly turning itself off now and then, within a month it was constantly doing it. It wouldn't charge properly, it would say it was full then an hour later the low battery warning would come up.
    My neighbour has a 3310 that she still gets over a week out of. :pac:
    EDIT: Just remember a friend has the 100 and it randomly won't receive calls or texts until it's been turned off and on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Bought a Nokia 515 sim free last year - had a Nokia 6310i for years.
    Just use it as phone, some text messaging and for listening to radio when out walking.
    Only charge it once a week.
    Great phone and would recommend.

I have ordered a thl 5000 recently, it has a battery of 5000mAh, really a battery monster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Andy369 wrote: »
    I have ordered a thl 5000 recently, it has a battery of 5000mAh, really a battery monster!

It being a smart phone it will still eat up the battery.

It being a smart phone it will still eat up the battery.

Yes, but 5000mAh is still attractive.

• Advertisement

So, went into the Vodafone shop the other day, and told them I was on the look out for a phone that did the basics and which wouldn't involve a daily charge, or a twice daily charge. He managed to talk me out of a cheap nokia, for now.
    He suggested getting a new battery on the iphone, but to be honest, I wouldn't mind scaling back still.

I might compromise and look for something that would allow me to just check my email/wireless, so if there were anything serious, I'd be able to get in front of a computer.

I don't really need any of the apps I use, and I don't use many. Twitter the odd time, and The Guardian the odd time. That's it.

So maybe I might make one step up from a text & call phone to a text, call, and check my email type of phone.

I might buy myself some kind of a tablet then for arsing around on at home in the evenings.

Advertisement