Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Short Changed in a busy pub

• 26-07-2008 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Was in a busy phibsboro bar last nite. Was totally sober, we only went out at 1am short notice to meet some of herselves mates. Went to the bar and got 2 vodkas and a bottle of miller, gave in a 50 (just been to ATM and took out 100, 2 50's).

Bar man comes back asking me what I gave him, I said 50, he said ou didnt, you only gave me 20, I said I know I gave you 50 as its what I had in my wallet. I said theres a camera over the till , check it if you want. He asked me to come back at the end of the night when they float up and check with the bar manager, well he didnt ask me, he told me and rather make a scene i agreed. I did ask for a receit and he said no!

After been put from pillar to post the end end of the night and explaining to every bouncer there that I was waiting for the manager he came up to me. He said they checked the float and it wasnt there, but thats not to say when they check the main float it might turn up, he asked me to ring today at 4pm. I advised him I was sober to which in fairness he agreed and I wasnt givena receit to which I am legally entitled to (i presume so??).

So ringing back at 4pm today to see what result I will get.

Now I was talking to one of herselves mates and told him the crack and he was able to tell me right away what bar man it was, that hes renowned for it and when people are drunk he gets away with it cause they get their drinks, and shove the change in their pockets.

Anyhow will keep you posted, but did anyone else ever come accross this?

Mods feel free to delete, also posted in CI, but might get more traffic and opinions here also. , cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

one of my pet hates....who was he, i'll castrate the bolox!

but on a serious note i'd be bringing this up with his manager!! not on imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Kudos to you for being so calm.

I would have dragged him outru the neck of his shirt if he tried that BS with me.

It happened to me a few times, but when they hand me the wrong change i always grin and say "try again" i gave you €50 ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

That's one of the oldest tricks - should have kicked up a fuss or even better taken out €40 from the ATM. The manager is probably in on it too. That barman is the kind of person who will steal money from the till whenever a new member of staff arrives and this new person will get sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i was in bundoran about 12 years ago same craic but no cameas and he wouldn't back down

grabbed the fool by the ears and slmmed the head in

then i'm grabbed by these two brutes who bring me out side and give me the boot
    so anyhow me nd the woman go up to the other night club and since the two bouncers had kept it do body shots we get in

so i stick my hand in my poctet to pull the measly change i had left when lo and behold there was my fifty

ah life is funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Being involved in the running of a few pubs, staff short-changing customers is taken just as seriously as staff giving out free pints to mates or just taking money from till (most staff are no longer stupid enough to take money from till as cameras everywhere but a lot still think that giving stock out free to their mates is acceptable).

Camera will most likely show him ringing up and taking change of 50 from till and in between getting to you 30 of it fell into his pocket hence his unwillingness to issue a receipt !

I'd contact the manager and if no joy with him say you'll be raising it with the owner....Owners tend to care a lot about what kind of repuatation their pub has !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement