Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Document? worth it?

Options
  • 16-03-2014 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I have a document prepared as of last week and its pretty awful, its on a holiday and very basic and i really don't think it's worth bringing it in. Any opinions? I think a natural normal conversation would be better and that these last few weeks should be spent on improving other aspects of the oral.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

I agree that a natural, normal conversation would be better.

People disagree but I think a document is mainly useful if you struggle at French. If you can actually speak the language I think that's always going to be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

kevman44, I'm not sure how long you have until your oral, but I would highly recommend taking in a document if you have some time.

Although not essential, a document is beneficial in loads of ways.
    (1) It settles your nerves in that you know whatever comes up, you have something to say regarding your document. If comfortable with it, it's a great confidence booster.
    (2) It can be an opportunity to bring up vocabulary or topics that would never arise out of a natural situation.

I am guessing that if you are asking this now and prepared it last week that you are feeling a little underprepared for the oral? Perhaps I am way off the mark.

I think you should talk to your teacher. Ask them for their opinion. It totally depends on your level of French.

Regarding your document topic, from Ordinary Level to the high C, low B level in Higher I think a holiday is acceptable. If you're going for anything higher at Higher Level I would advise either really ramping up the quality of your document on a holiday or changing it. Holidays tend to come up in orals anyway in natural discussion, just like yourself, your family, your friends, etc. so you're better off going with something fresh to say.

Hope it goes really well. Obviously completely up to you but I think it is crazy to go into an oral without a document.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oswinoswald

I think it's better to leave out the document. I personally sound like I'm reciting learned-off material with my document (which is about a french exchange), whereas if I leave it out, I have more time for conversation. And the chances are that they will ask you about your holiday during the conversation so whatever you have prepared for your document won't go to waste.
    I had a mock oral today and i got 83% but my document was terrible. I have to see my teacher tomorrow to work on my 'conversational tone'. I wish I didnt have a document!!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

My teacher thinks we'd all be fools not to bring in our document. I think it is handy enough, as long as you make it sound a bit fluent and you don't recite it out when the time comes. Mine is about a French Exchange / Transition Year , which will probably come up in conversation anyway.

Does anyone know how long a document should be when it is written out? I wrote half an a4 on mine and my teacher said it was fine, but some people learn a lot more. I presume that the examiner wouldn't let someone go on too long without interrupting with questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 teach432

The document is a chance for the student to control up to 5 minutes of the exam. If it is given proper time and preparation, it is a great option for any student.

• Advertisement
Advertisement