Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculator question

Options
  • 02-06-2010 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

I was just listening to the 606 broadcast on 2fm and heard that only certain calculators are allowed in the exam. I have NEVER heard of this before and I'm a bit worried. How can I tell if my calculator is acceptable or not? Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

I think its just scientific ones not programmable ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Basiclly you'd know if you had a calculator that wasn't allowed ;)...if you haven't noticed anything "special" about your calculator then you're good to go!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

you the way you have to write down the make of your calculator, is it ok if you just write down sharp cos i dont have the model writtten on mine anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

LovexxLife wrote: »
    you the way you have to write down the make of your calculator, is it ok if you just write down sharp cos i dont have the model writtten on mine anymore

Do you?!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

The ones that most people have are the Sharp Dal ones (The black or white ones) and the Casio natural display. These are definitely allowed, all I know is that graphing calculators are not allowed.

• Advertisement

Got the new Casio model, the old fx83gt plus... she's a beaut

so is it ok to just write....Sharp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

Anyone know if you're you allowed bring in two calculators?

Are you allowed bring in two calculators?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

Good,thanks. The one I usually use is really old, so I'm gonna bring in another one just in case.

Also, I haven't had a maths set since the JC. Should I get one just in case? I'm doing HL.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Good,thanks. The one I usually use is really old, so I'm gonna bring in another one just in case.

Also, I haven't had a maths set since the JC. Should I get one just in case? I'm doing HL.

No, you won't need a maths set for HL. You won't be asked to draw shapes, or construct shapes or anything. I see people using compasses for diagrams in the circle question, but trust me, there is no need - you are not marked on the diagram, it is for your benefit. It can be as messy/rough as you want it to be.

For diagrams, my advice is to draw them big!! Especially for questions like trigonometry, where you are drawing triangles and things onto your diagram - if your diagram is big and clear, you will spot things easier. Those doing applied maths know how important a big clear diagram is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Try looking for it in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

The model is written on the calculator, so not really.

Jay P wrote: »
    The model is written on the calculator, so not really.
    Mine got rub off
    Try looking for it in here.
    Thanks found it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

The ones that most people have are the Sharp Dal ones (The black or white ones) and the Casio natural display. These are definitely allowed, all I know is that graphing calculators are not allowed.

I have a casio one but i'm not sure if it's allowed, it has integration and differentiation options on it?

!?! wrote: »
    I have a casio one but i'm not sure if it's allowed, it has integration and differentiation options on it?

Ha! You wish :P

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭trepasers

This is my type of calculator ( http://www.casio.co.uk/Products/Calculators/Scientific%20Calculators/FX-83ES-SA-UH/At_a_Glance/ ).......Just[/url] wondering are they aloudd ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

trepasers wrote: »
    This is my type of calculator ( http://www.casio.co.uk/Products/Calculators/Scientific%20Calculators/FX-83ES-SA-UH/At_a_Glance/ ).......Just[/url] wondering are they aloudd ??

Yeah. I guess any scientific calculator is allowed

Some calculators (graphing ones) you can do lots of things with so I can see why they are not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

trepasers wrote: »

Yeah, those ones are. They're the ones that pretty much every second person has :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

!?! wrote: »

If it has those features then it's not allowed.

It's not just programmable calculators that are disallowed. There are other features that are prohibited too. The rule is in your candidate information book on page 11. If you can't find it, it's here:
    http://www.examinations.ie/candidates/LC_Candidate_EV_2010.pdf

As you can see from the rule, if your calculator can solve quadratic equations or simultaneous equations, for example, then it's not allowed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement