Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How will Donegal vote in the Marriage Equality referendum?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,314 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Final results:

Donegal NE - Yes = 16,040. No = 14,492. Turnout = 51.40%
    Donegal SW - Yes = 15,907. No = 15,874. Turnout = 51.56%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,562 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Arranmore contributing 20 of the 33 margin in D-SW going on the tallies from the two boxes there. I may be from a small rock in the ocean but its an accepting small rock...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Great to see us vote Yes. Also yet more proof that every single vote does count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Wonder how it would have turned out if the other 48% had bothered to vote. Genuine question.
    Referenda and elections are won by a determined majority of those that bother to vote, not of the overall electorate. A little over 25% of the electorate voted in favour in Donegal then. Something like 30 odd % nationally.
    That's the way it has always been and always will be - skewed, but that's democracy I guess, flawed but what's the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

NIMAN wrote: »
    Good to see a Donegal YES vote. We aren't so backward after all.

Donegal says YES, who'd have thunk it.

So, anyone who voted 'no' is backward?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Congratulations Donegal you did it with pride and dignity(yes's and no's):) Proud of yis today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Right or wrong - perceived so outside your wee bubble:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

excollier wrote: »
    Wonder how it would have turned out if the other 48% had bothered to vote. Genuine question.
    Referenda and elections are won by a determined majority of those that bother to vote, not of the overall electorate.

It is a good question. While there are those who couldn't be bothered to vote and those who simply didn't care either way there are also those who honestly didn't know what to do and decided to accept the will of a majority of those who did.
    At least the turnout this time was 'respectable', compared to the Seanad and Childrens' referendums where the low turnout should have lead to serious questions about how we engage with democracy and if a poll of less than half of the electorate should be valid.

There is also a marked reluctance to tackle the problems of accuracy of the register. Many of those who din't vote in fact couldn't vote because they are dead, are living abroad, have moved or have a vote elsewhere. Until we have an accurate register we can't know what the true turnout it.

In my opinion, no voters were either backward or else simply not intelligent enough to be able to separate the nonsense from the issue being voted on.

That's the marvellous thing about opinions though; we're all entitled to one. :)

• Advertisement

echo beach wrote: »
    It is a good question. While there are those who couldn't be bothered to vote and those who simply didn't care either way there are also those who honestly didn't know what to do and decided to accept the will of a majority of those who did.
    At least the turnout this time was 'respectable', compared to the Seanad and Childrens' referendums where the low turnout should have lead to serious questions about how we engage with democracy and if a poll of less than half of the electorate should be valid.
    It also frustrates me when people don't use their vote but that's the great thing about democracy - we all have the right to vote but equally we have the right not to bother our arse if we don't want to.
    There is also a marked reluctance to tackle the problems of accuracy of the register. Many of those who din't vote in fact couldn't vote because they are dead, are living abroad, have moved or have a vote elsewhere. Until we have an accurate register we can't know what the true turnout it.
    I would also add those who travelled home to vote into the above. Even though I'm guessing the real number who came home was hugely exaggerated in the name of fabulousness, I'd wonder how many of them should have been allowed vote under ordinarily resident rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,314 ✭✭✭✭muffler

In my opinion, no voters were either backward or else simply not intelligent enough to be able to separate the nonsense from the issue being voted on.

That's the marvellous thing about opinions though; we're all entitled to one. :)
    You're right about opinions and mine is that posting insulting comments like that is not acceptable.

On a more general note you all know what the topic is and up until today I have let a lot of things go but as its getting a bit personal now please be careful with the content of your posts and keep to the topic.

muffler wrote: »
    You're right about opinions and mine is that posting insulting comments like that is not acceptable.

On a more general note you all know what the topic is and up until today I have let a lot of things go but as its getting a bit personal now please be careful with the content of your posts and keep to the topic.
    Not sure how my post can be taken as being insulting or getting a bit personal as there's absolutely no indication whether the poster I responded to voted yes or no.
    If stating an opinion on an issue that (almost) literally divided the county 50/50 is insulting or offensive, then it says a lot more about others than it does about my comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

If stating an opinion on an issue that (almost) literally divided the county 50/50 is insulting or offensive, then it says a lot more about others than it does about my comment.

An opinion can be insulting or offensive because it depends on the content of the opinion and not how evenly the issue is split. And it's 62/38, which is closer to a two-thirds majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

An opinion can be insulting or offensive because it depends on the content of the opinion and not how evenly the issue is split. And it's 62/38, which is closer to a two-thirds majority.

I know right. Literally not 50/50 in ANY WAY. :D.

Donegal was a long way off from being a 62/38 split.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Donegal was a long way off from being a 62/38 split.

Sorry I misread your comment as being about the county instead of the country.

Advertisement