Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA for Masters?

Options
  • 06-03-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Folks,
    Currently on JSA and the only hope I can see myself getting off it is to do a Masters.

Reading the Welfare website: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/BackToEducation/Pages/btea.aspx

It states that BTEA does not apply to Masters programs? (Level 9) - I guess i've heard it from the horses mouth, but would appreciate if anyone here can confirm that?

If that is indeed correct, what other options do I have to get into a Masters programme? I simply do not have the funds to pay for a Masters program (1 year fulltime, about €6,000) and to pay rent (Program is in Dublin, i'm in the West living with parents)

I'm over 25 if it makes any difference.

Thanks for any help you can provide, i'm at my wits end after reading this... this was my 'get back to the real world' hope... now looking shattered

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 liu83

No you wouldn't be entitled to it. It is a masters degree, which is a postgraduate degree unless taken in the area of education.

The postgraduate option of the BTEA scheme is only for people who wish to take:

a postgraduate course of study that leads to any Higher Diploma (H. Dip.) qualification in any discipline, or
    a postgraduate Diploma in Education (Primary or Secondary teaching).
    Other postgraduate qualifications including a Master's degree are not recognised for BTEA purposes.

You will not get the BTEA if you already hold a postgraduate qualification.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No.

Why did you think the btea applied to a masters level anyway :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 need-it

snubbleste wrote: »
    No.

Why did you think the btea applied to a masters level anyway :confused:

Because I want to go Back to Education :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Good answer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

need-it wrote: »
    Folks,
    Currently on JSA and the only hope I can see myself getting off it is to do a Masters.

Reading the Welfare website: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/BackToEducation/Pages/btea.aspx

It states that BTEA does not apply to Masters programs? (Level 9) - I guess i've heard it from the horses mouth, but would appreciate if anyone here can confirm that?

If that is indeed correct, what other options do I have to get into a Masters programme? I simply do not have the funds to pay for a Masters program (1 year fulltime, about €6,000) and to pay rent (Program is in Dublin, i'm in the West living with parents)

I'm over 25 if it makes any difference.

Thanks for any help you can provide, i'm at my wits end after reading this... this was my 'get back to the real world' hope... now looking shattered

There were some Masters programmes on Springboard initiative dont know if they are still available or would be relevant to what you wanted to study. Have a look at www.bluebrick.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement