Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finally, proper rail services from Ennins and Sixmilebridge

• 28-09-2006 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

The new Western Railcorridor is going to have 7 trains daily both ways between Limerick and Galway (due for 2008), with each train also stopping at Sixmilebridge and Ennis (and Craughwell and Gort) so it will finally be possible to commute to Limerick city from Ennis and Sixmilebridge, should reduce the number of cars entering the city. Hopefully, the trains will be run at times that make them usable to comuters, and if these are successful, perhaps the powers that be will expand other commuter lines, like the Limerick-Nenagh line for example.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

A stop at Shannon Airport would have been better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

any tracks there yet? or by 2008? doubts, doubts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

the midleton line re-opening has been in the works for past 3years,the rail order was only recently signed and it'll be unlikely that it will be opened in time for 2008,and thats only a renewal of a something like 8-13 miles of single track,so good luck with ennis-galway opening by then,but then again its clare (FF country) so who knows!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

the midleton line re-opening has been in the works for past 3years,the rail order was only recently signed and it'll be unlikely that it will be opened in time for 2008,and thats only a renewal of a something like 8-13 miles of single track,so good luck with ennis-galway opening by then,but then again its clare (FF country) so who knows!!
    but the western rail corridor will have a lot more pressure to be done faster than the midleton line
    as for the shannon line well I hope its going to happen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

i thought a spur line to Shannon airport was part of the plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 JohnnyBalls

galwayrush wrote:
    i thought a spur line to Shannon airport was part of the plan.
    No it is not.

Under the Transport 21 programme the only mention of a Limerick-city-Shannon rail service is a feasibility study to be carried out in 2015(Late, I know)

It will probably never happen but if it does the earliest we could expect it is 2020 which is ridicilous when you examine closely the economic benifits to be had by linking an airport not only to its nearest city but also the the entire west once the Atlantic Corridor and the Western rail to Galway/Sligo is completed.

i remember a business seminar in Galway a few years back when they stressed the importance of providing a motorway and rail link between Shannon airport to both Galway and Limerick.it was some great plan called the Atlantic corridor i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well considering there is no rail system of any kind between Dublin Airport (the busiest airport in the country) and the capital so I would not hold by breath waiting for a Shannon to Limerick rail link.

I think I read somewhere before that Ireland is the only EU state that doesn't have any sort of rail system connecting any of their airports to their nearby cities.

Sad really in the year 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

bazz26 wrote:
    Well considering there is no rail system of any kind between Dublin Airport (the busiest airport in the country) and the capital so I would not hold by breath waiting for a Shannon to Limerick rail link.

I think I read somewhere before that Ireland is the only EU state that doesn't have any sort of rail system connecting any of their airports to their nearby cities.

Sad really in the year 2006.
    true but it would be a lot easier to make a rail line from limerick to shannon than dublin city centre to the airport (they have to do it underground we dont)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1huge1 wrote:
    true but it would be a lot easier to make a rail line from limerick to shannon than dublin city centre to the airport (they have to do it underground we dont)

Unfortunately it is not as straight forward as that.

Alot of it comes down to PR, politics and population density. Dublin and surrounding areas 99.9% of the time get more funding ahead of any other part of the country simply because of demand for the instructure through population density and also that over one third of the country's voting electret would benefit from it.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    Unfortunately it is not as straight forward as that.

Alot of it comes down to PR, politics and population density. Dublin and surrounding areas 99.9% of the time get more funding ahead of any other part of the country simply because of demand for the instructure through population density and also that over one third of the country's voting electret would benefit from it.
    you hit the nail on the head there, votes. the greater Dublin area is probably large enough to elect a goverment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

But sure its all broken down... that would be the case if it was 1 person, 1 vote in its barest form! I dont think any party could ever only focus on dublin

Advertisement