Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is ground rice gone?

Options
  • 24-09-2013 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭

For the past few weeks I've been looking for Ground Rice.

I don't mean rice pudding-it's a fine powder you mix with milk in a saucepan and you stir it continuously until it becomes thick and smooth.

You also add sugar and then when you serve it, you usually add a blob of jam in the middle.

I've searched Tesco, Dunnes, SuperValu..I just can't find it!

Anyone know where I can find it in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Did you ask for it in supermarkets. I find middle aged female workers tend to know where stuff like this is, young lads can be hopeless!

They can chop and change where it goes, it could be with rice one week, with gravy the next, in the baking section etc.

Health shops nearly always have it, could be brown rice though.

It can be called rice flour too, this is one showing in tesco
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=252023443

I would guess thats in the baking section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Try any asian grocery, they usually have it and it will be about 70% cheaper too. You can get big bags of it for about three or four euro

g26s74p373.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Baby rice is ground rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Baby rice is ground rice.
    And since they have a baby on the pack they charge a fortune, just like milton (a mixture of household bleach & table salt).

Tesco have "baby rice", ranging from €21.50 to €30 per kilo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

I bought a 500g bag of Gem ground rice in Supervalu in Navan about a month ago. It was in the home baking section, along with the semolina and pudding rice. Can't remember the price off the top of my head but it was only a few euro.

Delicious with raspberry jam. Nostalgia in a bowl!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Thanks for all your replies everyone.

I did see Rice Flour in Tesco but I didn't think it was the same stuff as years ago ground rice was always labelled Ground Rice.

Anyway, Whistles, I'll look for that and for everyone else, I will certainly pick up some rice flour.

If all else fails and it's not the same, sure I can use it to make cookies! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

Just got a packet today in SuperValu, Greystones. GEM @€;1.49 a packet (500g).

Advertisement