Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do tanning pills work?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Not sure After Hours is the best choice of forum for a first world problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

sdeire wrote: »
    You could just make do with the skin god allah buddha gave you you were pulled out of the womb in.
    I don't have that any more because of the skin bleaching cream I used 4 yrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Hi OP, I personally woudnt go near tanning pills:( have you seen the programme embarrassing illnesses? Well anyway there was a girl in it who used pills like the ones you mentioned and it caused her to tan unevenly like blotchy skin.. It looked terrible and there was some link to possible liver disease and other symptoms from using these pills:(

It's totally your choice op, I wish I had a healthy glow too but stupid lack of sunshine in Ireland dosent help! I just get my tan out of a bottle lol!
    Just be careful about the tabs op you cud end up with a worse problem than looking a little pasty:(

Amzie wrote: »
    Hi OP, I personally woudnt go near tanning pills:( have you seen the programme embarrassing illnesses? Well anyway there was a girl in it who used pills like the ones you mentioned and it caused her to tan unevenly like blotchy skin.. It looked terrible and there was some link to possible liver disease and other symptoms from using these pills:(

It's totally your choice op, I wish I had a healthy glow too but stupid lack of sunshine in Ireland dosent help! I just get my tan out of a bottle lol!
    Just be careful about the tabs op you cud end up with a worse problem than looking a little pasty:(
    Thanks for advice Amzie but she was probably using the canthanxantin tablets which I am trying to avoid. I'm interested in the Beta Carotene tablets. Canthanaxantin can cause jaundice and damaged eyesight but studies have shown that beta carotene doesn't seem to cause this retinopathy. I know there's one study suggesting it can harm smokers but I haven't smoked in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I have ordered MyTan Bronze from a website.
    I used a skin bleaching (lightening) cream on it
    Nope I'm male. I'm not able to tan naturally.

Surely a troll? Or a shill?

If this is true and you already self medicated to lighten your skin and ****ed it up then maybe you should have learned your lesson and not tried another "miracle" cure from the internet? Go talk to a bloody dermatologist do not take beta carotene it WILL TURN YOUR SKIN ORANGE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

You are either a troll OP, or well on your way to becoming Michael Jackson.

If you are serious about this however, you would be better off just waiting to see the dermatologist and explaining the issue to them.

And in the mean time, I would hold off in case you do yourself even more damage.

I am not a troll I am genuine. As it happens I have an appointment with a dermatologist in a couple of days. I doubt they will be able to help me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I am not a troll I am genuine. As it happens I have an appointment with a dermatologist in a couple of days. I doubt they will be able to help me though.
    They'll be be more use than some pills you bought from a random shop on the internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The reason I can't tan on my face is that I used a skin bleaching (lightening) cream on it 4 yrs ago and I'm trying to reverse it as I looked better with a tan.
    Do you not think doing more messing with weird skin products could make things worse again? Much, much worse.
    I am not a troll I'm a real boy.
    Maybe won't look like that for long if you keep going the way your going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I have ordered MyTan Bronze from this website. Has anyone tried it and does it work? It says it has beta-carotene and not canthanxantin, which was important for me because I've heard the latter can cause crystals to appear in your eyes (canthaxantin retinopathy) but that Beta Carotene is safe.

The company that makes MyTan Bronze says they are called BLife and lists and Irish address and contact details on their website. Is this a legitimate company?

I know some will say I should try fake tan but I have combination skin on my face so it ends up blotchy, muddy and flakey. I'd like to hear whether you or a friend tried tanning pills, whether they worked, and what the name of the pills was if you have it so I will know which to avoid and which might work.

I worked in chartbusters and we used to sell tanning tablets, all they do is make you go orange. It used to be so funny when people came in and say what do you think of my tan and then me trying to keep a straight face as you told them they looked good! Dont do it. If you want a tan, do a sunbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Would you not not just get yourself a daily moisturiser with a tint in it OP and not keep putting potentially dangerous substances in/on your body?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

ColHol wrote: »
    Here you go!

For a split second when looking at the pic I thought the guy in the middle
    Had 3 hands.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Surely a troll? Or a shill?

If this is true and you already self medicated to lighten your skin and ****ed it up then maybe you should have learned your lesson and not tried another "miracle" cure from the internet? Go talk to a bloody dermatologist do not take beta carotene

My grandmother was very fond of Biblical quotations. One of her favourites was
    "As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly." Seems to apply perfectly in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I have a friend who took beta carotene for a while. She looked like a carrot. I don't understand this obsession with tan that you have, OP. Stop messing with your skin, you've done enough damage already.

If your appearance means that much to you go and invest in a few bottles of tinted moisturiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tanning pills contain beta carotene, found in carrots, and will dye you orange; as will eating a lot of carrots. They probably aren't dangerous, but you will be as orange as a carrot and look a bit stupid.

Why not forget about the tan altogether since 1) pills turn you orange 2) spray tans make you blotchy and orange and 3) tanning (either sunbathing or tanning beds) give you cancer? You'll look healthier, have a reduced incidence of melanoma, not dye all your clothes orange, and men will want to kiss you because they won't get all orange from you. Seriously. Natural skin tone FTW.

• Advertisement
Advertisement