Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"ITV may sell stake in TV3" - Sunday Business Post

Options
  • 15-08-2004 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

I was surprises when i logged on this pm that nobody had commented on the report in the Business Post today that ITV is considering its options in relation to its share in TV3 as they consider it an non core asset,an announcement is expected shortly ie Sept- would UTV consider taking up this option????

Comments

Well no suprise here really in my case anyway as I don't read the sBP!

Regarding the topic this thread was the last discussion on the topic here and it looks like, even what was speculated there may have been out with possible more twists and turns.
    If ITV(formally Granada) dump TV3 that could have major implications.
    UTV on Sky dig ROI for one thing and RTÉ being in the bidding for a lot of ITV's programming like the good old days.

Things aren't looking rosy for TV3, its got choppy waters to navigate methinks given that a lot of it's U.S programing and movies came thanks to canwests influence and now it may have to deal with another problem - an ITV divorce.

Thread moved to Broadcasting where it belongs by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

This is good news imho. It might put a stop to the rot that has set in - whereby TV3 could take the lazy option everytime - similcast ITV1, invest little in home production, never defend anything that is no instantly revenue generation, and block out UTV where possible.

With regard to UTV buying TV3:

Would Granada sell to UTV? (They already consider UTV to be a little upstart, and indeed they might consider buying UTV out in the future, in which case they would simply be buying back TV3).

Would UTV pay the best price for TV3? - They could argue that UTV has a stronger franchise than TV3 already, and that TV3 as it exists brings nothing new to the table (i.e. strip off the ITV stuff, and you are looking at investing substantial amounts to create an alternative).

I wonder would five be interested in buying TV3. At least in that scenario Irish viewers would get to see programming that is not widely available. TV3's relatively high market penetration (compared to five in the UK) would also make it attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

ITV were a bad influence on TV3. All they did was replicate their prime time broadcasting schedules on TV3 and filled the rest of the time with junk (not that it was great beforehand). They've probably figured out that they can make just as much (if not more) money by just reselling the programming independently of any other association, and with a lot less hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

if UTV were to buy TV3 then it would surely be the same with simulcasted rubbish

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Hmm, I didn't expect this. Certainly I would have thought it would have went the other way, ITV buying out CanWest-Global. However, note that a seperation at shareholder level does not necessarly mean a seperation at programming level - TV3 buy all their ITV programming at market rate, as acquisitions, and do not participate in the Channel 3 Networking Arrangements. Sure, RTE would have a better chance of acquiring ITV programming (it might have a good chance of getting Corrie back) but that does not mean it will happen. And management at TV3 was always more under CanWest influnce than ITV influence anyway (Herrington being a CanWest employee).

Anyways, I'm changing the title of this thread - nowhere has it been announced that ITV ARE selling their stake in TV3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

TV3 buy all their ITV programming at market rate, as acquisitions, and do not participate in the Channel 3 Networking Arrangements
    True but one of the deals made with Granada when they bought into TV3 was that Corronation St. and Emmerdale and other Granada productions would be sold to TV3 at a cheaper rate, (preventing RTE acquiring Granada productions through a bidding war). UTV are angry at ITV for this since many (practially all of prime time) of ITV and UTV's programmes end up on FTA ROI TV, which UTV competes with.

I cann't image ITV selling TV3 lets face it UTV is the strongest ITV franchise because of the South.
    And management at TV3 was always more under CanWest influnce than ITV influence anyway (Herrington being a CanWest employee).

One of the reasons ITV perhaps did not buy Canwest's share in UTV was that they would have no power in the running of the channel.

Another reason for ITV not buying into UTV, could be that UTV have bought many Local Radio Stations in the Republic and if ITV where to own part of UTV and its Radio Stations plus 45% of TV3 the chances of them being able to buy out Canwest's share in TV3 would not be good, since many in Ireland and more importantly the BCI would see ITV becoming too big in Ireland (All Ireland).

Advertisement