Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

English Television in Ireland

• 14-08-2004 3:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I have been thinking of importing a 36" Toshiba television from England due to the huge price difference but I have read I would be unable to receive TV reception on cable or on analogue terrestrial, i.e. rooftop aerial. However I will be able to receive Sky satellite through my Sky+ box. Would someone please confirm this for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Sky will work through either scart or a uhf channel so it will be fine for that
    cable, some channels will work but not all
    terrestrial, if you are in an area where RTÉ is still only receivable on VHF they wont work but TV3 and TG4 will work

alternatively you can plug in a vcr which will do all the VHF channels for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

The television will work no problem here as both NTL & CHORUS use the UHF loop-trough,depending where you are in the country you will be able to use a roof top aerial if you can receive the english channels via UHF.If you cannot receive RTE on UHF you will have to do without them but you will get TV3 & TG4 via UHF,or get them through SKY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Check with your supplier to see if the television available has a VHF tuner. This feature isn't publicised in most of the UK as it is needless for UK terrestial transmissions.

Even if it doesn't it's still possible to receive VHF transmissions either using an Irish bought VCR (as mossy has just said) or through using a frequency shifter that can bring VHF channels into the UHF band - although these are now difficult to find.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Peats.ie still sell Frequency Shifters though they're quite expensive, the price of a cheapo VCR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭BrianPK

Thanks a million for all your very informed and reassuring comments.

My primary source will be Sky+ and I will use my VCR for the RTE and TV3 channels from my roof aeriel as an occasional backup when the Sky+ box is occupied dual recording.

• Advertisement
Advertisement