Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iceland, how are they doing.

• 23-11-2014 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Has anyone been to Iceland lately. How are they getting on since the economic collapse. Its hard to find out on the web as I am getting all kinds of things from good to very bad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

There frozen pizza is quite nice and they got some nice ice creams , not sure about there opening hours though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

There a great bunch of lads.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There frozen pizza is quite nice and they got some nice ice creams , not sure about there opening hours though.

Opening hours are okay but they have very few stores in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Hahah! you guys are talking bout the SHOP! He doesn't mean the shop, he means the country. OMG this is hilarious.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

That Peter Andre is an oul bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Their former prime minister is on trial for economic treason. Our former PM is advising other nations on how to manage their economies.:confused:
    You just couldn't make it up.!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Hahah! you guys are talking bout the SHOP! He doesn't mean the shop, he means the country. OMG this is hilarious.

Nate

Lol Nate you are so smart Nate omg like lol.

I lol'd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

They compete with Aldi and Lidl who have lower prices for better produce. Their only market is people who refuse to shop in Aldi or Lidl. Lol. Ridiculously overpriced over-processed tripe. Over my dead body would I eat anything from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Lost in translation or what?!! This is hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I get jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

That went well:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

heldel00 wrote: »
    Lost in translation or what?!! This is hilarious

Easily amused?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

They have 4% unemployment and want to lower that to 2%. Economic growth for 2014 was expected to be 2.7% in January. Social spending was largely protected from cuts (although most of the pro-austerity right-wingers on here would probably consider that a bad thing).
    On the flip side they experienced much higher inflation than us since 2008, although they are bringing it under control.

While comparisons with our situation may be overstated I think the evidence is unequivocal that they made the right choices since 2008.

Oh you mean the COUNTRY?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

There a great bunch of lads.

This bugs me more than it should!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Ronan wrote: »

That's the type of sh1t that's beat into you when you are 5. No excuses.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Their they're now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

That's the type of sh1t that's beat into you when you are 5. No excuses.:mad:

Poor observation bugs me too , if you read my post correctly you would see I spelt their wrong twice , not once . Xxxxxx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

Faced with the possibility of financial failure, Iceland had to think on its feet. Instead of bailing out banks USA-style, the country forgave mortgage debt for the population – and completely started over from square one.

A country with a small population of roughly 320,000 citizens, Iceland‘s entire banking structure “systemically failed” in the early days of the 2008 recession. Despite the fact that Iceland is still on the road to recovery, the country ranks high as a politically and economically stable nation. Their success over the last few years has been largely under-reported, and the story behind it is quite fascinating.
    Instead of allowing the criminals responsible for bank fraud to run free as the years passed by, Iceland thought it might be wise to actually indict bankers who committed serious financial crimes that contributed to the collapse. By paying off loans for consumers, forgiving homeowner debt (up to 110% of the property value), and throwing the offenders in prison, Iceland was able to bounce back. Now, its economy is “recovered” and is growing faster than both the US and European economies.When Iceland’s President Olafur Ragnar Grimmson was asked whether or not other countries – Europe in particular – would succeed with Iceland’s “let the banks fail” policy, he stated the following:

“Why are the banks considered to be the holy churches of the modern economy? Why are private banks not like airlines and telecommunication companies and allowed to go bankrupt if they have been run in an irresponsible way? The theory that you have to bail out banks is a theory that you allow bankers enjoy for their own profit, their success, and then let ordinary people bear their failure through taxes and austerity. 
People in enlightened democracies are not going to accept that in the long run.”

Grimmson’s “famous” reply to the controversial question, “What is the reason for Iceland’s recovery?” is most remarkable.

“We were wise enough not to follow the traditional prevailing orthodoxies of the Western financial world in the last 30 years. We introduced currency controls, we let the banks fail, we provided support for the poor, and we didn’t introduce austerity measures like you’re seeing in Europe.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

smcgiff wrote: »
    Their they're now.

Where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Iceland rocks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

washman3 wrote: »
    Their former prime minister is on trial for economic treason. Our former PM is advising other nations on how to manage their economies.:confused:
    You just couldn't make it up.!!

On at least 150,000 Shamrocks a Year ... FFS :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

mad muffin wrote: »
    Where?
    Kilthere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

There was actually a great thread by Icelandic citizens on Reddit explaining what's really happening there, which is in stark contrast to the post-recession utopia many Irish posters here like to pain it as. Here's the main post-
    Past Weeks in Iceland
    Government bailed out selective % of private mortgages, splitting the country almost in half between supporters of the action and opponents. Numbers seem to indicate a mass transferal of money from the less affluent to the more affluent. This controvertial action has also spiked arguments between renters (who got nothing) and the government. Many have come forth and said they applied for the bailout but intend to use the money for something like charity because the payout was a zero sum game and if they don't apply then others simply get more of money they consider ill gotten.

Ongoing doctors strike, week three. Only emergency services are operational. Both the government and doctors association refuse to budge.

Mold, ants, mice and moss have started infecting Reykjavíks main Hospital due to lack of maintenance funds.

After almost 10 months of investigation, the personal attaché of our minister of the interior admits to the allegations previously mentioned. He is sentenced to 8 months of probation within 24 hours (and justice here is criminally slow in all other cases) and is expected to receive a cushy embassy position sooner than not.

Another attaché of the Minister of the Interior is seeking 1 year non-probational jailtime for two journalists that alleged, for thirty minutes, that she was indeed "person B" in the court case mentioned above. Statement was retracted, an apology issued and the international journalist association has raised alarm over the proceedings.

University Professors have announced an upcoming strike to hit at the same time as winter exams start. This will prevent people from finishing the required amount of credits to get student loans paid out.

Second week of ongoing "Monday protests", next one scheduled for next Monday.

Minister of Finance and the head of the Independence Party says he trusts his party sister, the Minister of the Interior, fully and asserts that not resigning is the best way to shoulder the responsibility to serve, that was placed on her by the electorate.

There is so much shady about this whole Minister of Interior deal, like she obviously tried to influence the police investigation to look away from her attaché. The sitting police chief actually quit and was replaced by a woman hand picked by the MoI.

Police accidentally released a report on the 2008 "Pot and Pan Revolution" which included a lot of obious digging into the private life of chosen individuals who were considered anti-authority. The report includes lists of mental problems, alleged and actual, their familiar situation, any personal problems and just goes into gruesome details about the private life of citizens. The police FAILED to redact named and social security numbers before sending the report to the media and private individuals who had requested it.

During AirWaves an artist put up a show piece criticizing the Progressive Party, the second of the two parties in the ruling coalition. He received threats from a member of the party that walked past it in the tone of "I hope things go well for you and there are no consequences for you mocking me", this was caught on camera but her party members fully support her statements and refuse to acknowledge any inappropriateness (?).

The government is updating its official cars into luxury jeeps at the same time they are slashing health and education due to lack of funds.

Currency Controls still in effect after six years.
    Some posters may want to take off the rose-tinted glasses when blindly accepting the narrative thrown out here on boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Nate

Not as hilarious as someone signing off on an anonymous internet forum.

:rolleyes:

Now before you quote me, yes I got the sarcasm.

Is it bad that when your country's name is mentioned people think of a grotty cheap frozen meal outlet.......

Ireland Frozen Inc.

Nah - proud to say that we shall never be mistaken for a food outlet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nate

I think they knew that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Poor observation bugs me too , if you read my post correctly you would see I spelt their wrong twice , not once . Xxxxxx

And you left out a "have" between "they" and "got".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

Anita Blow wrote: »
    There was actually a great thread by Icelandic citizens on Reddit explaining what's really happening there, which is in stark contrast to the post-recession utopia many Irish posters here like to pain it as. Here's the main post-

Some posters may want to take off the rose-tinted glasses when blindly accepting the narrative thrown out here on boards

I mainly based my narrative on an article on Iceland's economic outlook for 2014 I read on Bloomberg, hardly a bastion of left-wing propaganda.

That was an interesting piece you posted but many of the problems it mentions are echoed, or exceeded, here in Ireland. You may recall that our own Minister for Justice resigned earlier in the year amidst a myriad of scandals.

We still have double digit unemployment, ongoing cuts, a largely unreformed state and no accountability for what happened. Now a housing crisis has been added to the mix along with an attempt to privatise major public assets such as our water system. I'd imagine that most people in this country would rather have Iceland's problems than Ireland's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Easily amused?

What can I say? Shlow day in the shticks!

Advertisement