Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety - do you have it?

Options
  • 02-11-2014 4:49pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I suffer from pretty bad anxiety. A lot of the time I get "the fear" and a feeling of absolute dread ensues. It's not a good place to be in.:( I am trying ways to deal with the anxiety but to be honest it's very difficult.

Any AHers get anxiety? Has it held you back in life? How to you cope with your anxieties?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Polynesian Starmap

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I suffer from pretty bad anxiety. A lot of the time I get "the fear" and a feeling of absolute dread ensues. It's not a good place to be in.:( I am trying ways to deal with the anxiety but to be honest it's very difficult.

Any AHers get anxiety? Has it held you back in life? How to you cope with your anxieties?

Meditation and confronting your fears. Identify what scares you, and amplify 10 times and do it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Have had it for years, am on medication for it. But my heart is still racing non stop lately and DRIVING ME MAD. When it's really bad I just can't function - skin burning, head all over the place, no concentration, nothing but the sound of my heart in my ears. It's a frickin curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Have had it for years, am on medication for it. But my heart is still racing non stop lately and DRIVING ME MAD. When it's really bad I just can't function - skin burning, head all over the place, no concentration, nothing but the sound of my heart in my ears. It's a frickin curse.

meditation not medication .

meditation works wonders on anxiety

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Exercise.running and cycling are better than any medication. Also never go a long length of time without dipping out of your comfort zone. I think avoiding stress is what's making people so susceptible to anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Meditation, exercise, a good diet can all help but some people need more. Don't be afraid to try medication if you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

figs666 wrote: »
    meditation not medication .

meditation works wonders on anxiety

Does jack sh(t for me. Good diet and lots of exercise does help though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I suffer a bit from it too, though I'm not as bad as I used to be. Stuff like meeting people, job interviews, crowded places would set me off. Meditation and practicing mindfulness really helped. There's also a few books that helped, like Susan Jeffers feel the fear and do it anyway was notably good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

I have it and for me it stems hugely from awful thought patterns and fears. Awful awful...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Well I'm prescribed Xanax, Valium and Zimmovane (sometime Zolpidem) for sleep.

So I guess so.

Does jack sh(t for me. Good diet and lots of exercise does help though.

How do you meditate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

I have it. Happens when I am in a crowd of people mostly or when I am under pressure at work. Could anyone recommend any meditation classes in Dublin for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Meditation and confronting your fears. Identify what scares you, and amplify 10 times and do it anyway.
    smurgen wrote: »
    Exercise.running and cycling are better than any medication. Also never go a long length of time without dipping out of your comfort zone. I think avoiding stress is what's making people so susceptible to anxiety.

“If you are depressed you are living in the past.
    If you are anxious you are living in the future.
    If you are at peace you are living in the present.”

― Lao Tzu

Fully engaging in any action that completely puts your thought process in the here and now is essentially a form of meditation.

To get the most out of it, you have to disregard anything outside of it and just focus on it and it alone and let go with it at the pace it flows best at.

Of course it's normal to get anxious and stressed out and I agree with smurgen that you should engage with that side of things willingly at times, but being able to centre yourself if and when you need to is an wonderful skill to master.

Tried practicing some mindfullness exercises?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    I have it. Happens when I am in a crowd of people mostly or when I am under pressure at work. Could anyone recommend any meditation classes in Dublin for it?

You can do it yourself at home, a good book to try is Mindfullness by Mark Williams, it comes with a cd for meditation or you can download podcasts of the exercises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Don't suffer from it myself, but a family memberhas it eextremely bad . Could barely leave the house for the guts of 10 years. It absolutely destroyed his life. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Recommending meditation and exercise is great, but saying they're better than medication is dangerous.

Mediation and a good diet + exercise are NOT enough for people with severe anxiety.

I have severe anxiety, and exercise, meditation, mindfulness and a clean diet never helped.

What helps is the medication I'm on. I actually feel normal now.

In ADDITION to medication, meditation and exercise can be great. For people actually diagnosed and medicated for anxiety, suggesting all they need is the latter, is horribly irresponsible and shows a huge lack of understanding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Ya, have had anxiety in social situations for a long time - not nearly as bad now as in the past, but has affected me quite a lot, leaving some leftover affects/problems; mindfulness is indeed a very simple and useful/effective way for helping with anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

Anxiety - do you have it?

Only when one particular miserly bástard mate of mine is due to buy a round. And the clock is ticking ever closer to closing time.

Have been popping happy pills for a good few years now. I used to suffer from depression but I think it's manifested itself more into anxiety in recent times. I'm better than I was a few years ago but still get moments of absolute dread and find myself extremely self-conscious at times.

When it comes to social anxiety I usually end up relying on alcohol and cigarettes to help get me through - not exactly the healthiest solution but as a quick fix it works (sometimes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Camomile tea helps, I found reading up a lot about anxiety and what causes\triggers it also helped.sometimes you can stop it dead in its tracks when you tell yourself its only anxiety it will pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

dont know what id do without my medication for it :) in combination with keeping yourself busy its great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I used to get it a lot. I'm not as bad now. I heard a nice saying recently, "Fear is temporary, regret is permanent."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I've had anxiety problems since I was a teenager - especially in social situations. Thanks to my propensity for avoidance, I allowed it to dictate (and ruin) pretty much every aspect of my life. I tried various medications over the years, but only sporadically. Xanax and Valium always worked, but they aren't a long-term solution. I've been on Sertraline (Lustral) for almost a year and finally feel that I'm making progress.

Turning 30 was a big "shit or get off the pan" moment for me. I wish I'd sought proper help sooner, but better late than never.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Many people who suffer with depression also have anxiety and vice versa. Not saying this is the case for you OP, but read through the "lets all laugh at people with depression thread", and you will read of MANY people who suffer with anxiety. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056481009&page=323

___
    I have pretty bad anxiety but controllable nowadays. (well sometimes :s )

For those saying meditation, what do you suggest when that intensifies the anxiety? increasing the heart rate and overall tense/fearfulness?

Exercise can be good as it burns off the adrenaline and energy, but I often ended quite depressed afterwards, drained I suppose.

For me, therapy has been a real help, medication also(when needed), and learning to give the anxiety it's fair time and then saying "you've had your time, now I have things to do." And many times I just mull til whatever I was anxious about passes >.<
    ________
    And OP, yes it has held me back. Made me afraid of going back to college, afraid to apply for work, afraid to leave the house, afraid to talk to people. One thing about anxiety the more you give in to your fears, the more you avoid because of it, the worse it gets, like a parasite feeding off your energy. Also more tired you'll feel,

I'm now in college, I managed to secure a work placement as part of the course, and although EVERY day I think about not going to college, I think about just saying "fuk it". I haven't quit yet. :)

Therapy is fantastic and I'd advise it for anyone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I really find exercise helps so much, more mitigating than a solution. But definitely not something that you can just say "do this and do that" and expect it to be solved. Talking to a professional is something a lot of people need to get more comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Thankfully no.
    I lean on my faith when things get rough.

I have a friend who does suffer from bad anxiety to the point of panic attacks. So I do feel for you as I have seen how it can bring down a person.

Others have given good advice, see a doctor if you feel you can't cope with it.

When you feel anxiety it is important to notice and accept it. Don't resist it, resistance makes it stronger. Notice where in your body you feel the anxiety, notice your how your breathing feels, notice all the subtle sensations in your body. If a thought pops up, notice it. Allow it to fade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Is there a wide range of medication out there? I'm starting to suffer from it really badly as in it really affects my day to day living sometimes. Might make a doctors appointment. Probably more of a PI question..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Duff wrote: »
    Is there a wide range of medication out there? I'm starting to suffer from it really badly as in it really affects my day to day living sometimes. Might make a doctors appointment. Probably more of a PI question..

There are many many many types of medication out there.

Chances are, depending on the severity of the anxiety, a doctor will suggest an anti-depressant at the dose for anxiety. Don't get put off if they suggest this. Some of them are top notch for dealing with the general anxiety.

For more specific situations they may suggest meds that you use on an "as needed" basis, however, many of the younger doctors do not give these meds as easily because they are highly addictive.

Lastly, the real treatment is not medication, but therapy. Actually dealing with the anxiety, why it's there, what's causing it and how can you change it. That is really important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I suffer from it when it comes to public speaking, I have to speak publicly a lot in my job. I've had a few meltdowns, not pleasant. It's very common.

I have found exercise helps. Also, I've come to the conclusion that one can't be good at everything. I'm open with people that public speaking causes me anxiety.

I try not to be too hard on myself. I've improved greatly, I don't shy away from my fears and just go for it now. I put a good bit of time into preparation as well.

So it's like this everyone has their own style and I'll never present like Steve Jobs but that's no reason for me not to be able to put my point across.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I don't know what it's like not to have a constant feeling of adrenaline, dread, nausea etc.. Anxiety is just life for me. Medication/Therapy ineffective. Exercise helps for people dealing with mild anxiety/depression but its benefits are overstated for chronic sufferers.

Advertisement