Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety - do you have it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Scannal

CBT, exercise, meditation, medication, hypnosis, face your fears, alcohol, cigarettes, illegal drugs, running away, are all things that people suggest or try in an attempt to alleviate anxiety. I've tried some of them and it hasn't really worked for me. So I can't tell anyone what to do that would 100% work. Even people who have gotten over anxiety to a large degree can't tell you.
    That's because different things work for different people in different ways. It's mostly trial and error, you have to attempt these things to see if they help. Eventually you'll find the solution. This solution might be one thing but more than likely it'll be a combination of things. The good news is that everyone has something that will work for them, the bad news is that it might take years to find. I'm still searching and obviously others in this thread are also but let's never give up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Sometimes people are afraid medication will alter their personality. I think effective medication is only going to relieve the anxiety, leaving you free to get back to being yourself. Anxiety itself must alter your perssonality more than anything!

If the first medication doesn't work, there's always another kind.

They're not all addictive, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Sometimes people are afraid medication will alter their personality. I think effective medication is only going to relieve the anxiety, leaving you free to get back to being yourself. Anxiety itself must alter your perssonality more than anything!

If the first medication doesn't work, there's always another kind.

They're not all addictive, either.

I can't think of one anxiety med that is not addictive, unless you are counting any of that herbal stuff as meds.

Macavity. wrote: »
    I can't think of one anxiety med that is not addictive, unless you are counting any of that herbal stuff as meds.

Certain anti depressants with strong anxiolytic (anti anxiety) effects are not addictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Certain anti depressants with strong anxiolytic (anti anxiety) effects are not addictive.

What are their names? I am not familiar with any SSRI/SSNI that does not eventually lead to chemical dependency.

• Advertisement

Macavity. wrote: »
    What are their names? I am not familiar with any SSRI/SSNI that does not eventually lead to chemical dependency.

They would be Trycyclics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Decrease in cognitive function is the single biggest issue with anxiety for me. That feeling of becoming less intelligent, you know your mind is not working as it once was, memory, concentration, focus, vocabulary all fade away. It feels permanent but I know that your brain can regain its elasticity once the anxiety goes, its just a symptom of anxiety. Its very hard to actually feel this though especially when it does of course impact your life and you can no longer do the things you know you're capable of, its heartbreaking. Right now I have to accept that I can't do what I want to do or this problem isn't going to get better. So some tough decisions but I have to try something different for a while. I still remember a brief moment where it lifted this year and I was able to think clearly again, wasn't more than a day or 2 but it felt like me again and I just want that back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

People suggesting that I meditate really helps with my anxiety.

As it is temporarily overwhelmed by the desire the pick the hippy up by the ankles and crack them like a skinny whip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Yip, only just about to turn 30 in a few months and my blood pressure is all over the map. It spikes up to a crazy high, quite often.

I chalk it down to working for too long without any lengthy breaks. Been working since I was 12 years old. Jumping from one job to the next with either little or not time off between each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

All the time. I worry over whether the consequences of my actions, no matter how well intentioned, will pi$$ off friends and family. I worry about how I appear in social settings and whether I make a good impression on people. I worry about not being good enough at my job or making a total fool of myself when I play 5-a-side soccer, etc.

I've lost count of the number of times people have told me to just go with it and that these type of things don't matter a flip. I know deep down that they don't, but invariably I return to the same mindset of fretting over the most trivial of things and it wrecks my head :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement