Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Curry my yoghurt!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

loughside wrote: »
    Mod, you`re missing the whole point, nothing to do with trolling,

there`s absolutely nothing wrong with any language be it Irish, English or whatever, but in this case it`s patently clear it`s use was primarily to agitate and inflame the unionist politicians.

Even the majority of the SF members can`t communicate in Irish let alone anyone else - so why use it??

Campbell was doing nothing more than poking fun back at SF and they know that,

yes... SF, offended by everything, ashamed of nothing
    I love the being ok with a politician using such derogatory, inflammatory, bigoted turns of phrase.
    But oh yeh, he's loyalist so it's fine - must bow before our loyalist betters!

You did say there was something wrong with the Irish language - you called it "gobblety gook" (sic) and aligned it with republican sectarianism (:confused:).

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

I love the being ok with a politician using such derogatory, inflammatory, bigoted turns of phrase.
    But oh yeh, he's loyalist so it's fine - must bow before our loyalist betters!

AND,

I love the being ok with the whinges and whines of a collection of murderous gangsters
    But oh yeh, they`re `ex-terrorists` so it's fine - must bow before our republican betters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Hey Loughside, why are you ignoring my questions?
    Karl Stein wrote: »
    What exactly is Republican sectarianism and how does speaking Irish 'air' it.
    Why do you have a problem with people using Irish in Stormont?
    How is using the Irish language goading?

you`re asking questions you already know the answers to..... but i`ll play along just for the crack (craic!!)

sectarianism is divisive you`ll agree, hence the use of a language (that divides) that no one in Stormont including most of that particular party btw understands - so why do they do that?

To be provocative and bigoted of course,

but, Hey, you already knew that didn`t you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

Provocative maybe, bigoted - how so?

But provocation, bigotry, goading, sectarianism... they're fine from Gregory Campbell.

provocation, bigotry, goading, sectarianism... they're fine from Gregory Campbell.

Eh?? !!

"Curry my yoghurt can coca coalyer"

please show me the provocation, bigotry, goading and sectarianism in that ??

what dictionary do you use?

To be provocative and bigoted of course

How is using Irish in Stormont provocative and bigoted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Eh?? !!

"Curry my yoghurt can coca coalyer"

please show me the provocation, bigotry, goading and sectarianism in that ??

what dictionary do you use?

If you don't see mocking Irish pronunciation as goading or divisive then how is the actual language itself divisive?

Had he pronounced it properly you'd probably be up in arms!!!:confused:

I do recall the Unionists of the 1890-1914 era and their famous "Erin go Bragh" slogan. How quick they forget their own history.:rolleyes:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjkP-3YCAAACTtK.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

SF are well known for their use Irish to tick off the unionists. It's probably in the 'but it's our culture!' guidelines somewhere. Neither side in NI have a monopoly on tolerance.

It's less the content of what Campbell said and rather the gesture behind it. He is trolling and attention seeking. This is a nod to his base, fan service and out of the political muppetry playbook. Don't waste your time getting 'offended' about what he said. Be offended by his lack of imagination and need to distract from the executive's budget, the NI health service and whatever other issues they should get getting on with. The best response is probably to ignore, or get him on a news panel and troll him back about curry recipes.

Well, here we have it, the standard republican murder threat - says it all really,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30175412

hope you`re all happy now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Well, here we have it, the standard republican murder threat - says it all really,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30175412

hope you`re all happy now

I'm pretty sure you're happier than anyone else here that this threat was made

bobmalooka wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you're happier than anyone else here that this threat was made

and please explain your reasoning for that??

also i note your condemnation of said threat..

aye right.

aye right.
    I don't feel a need to state my condemnation of that behaviour, it says a lot about your mentality that you do.

I'm not the one actively defending inflammatory policies based on sectarianism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

aye right.

He's right, you seem delighted.

I don't feel a need to state my condemnation of that behaviour

Noted.

but if it was a unionist poking fun instead of a murder threat you`d be all over it like a rash.

nothing like getting your priorities right - nice attitude

Noted.

but if it was a unionist poking fun instead of a murder threat you`d be all over it like a rash.

nothing like getting your priorities right - nice attitude

Whoever made the threat isn't elected to govern.

Do you not see why elected representatives have a higher responsibility to not feed into the vicious cycle of hatred and division?

The primary holders of power/responsibility to break that cycle lies with those who govern.

If you don't understand that then I'll have to leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

gobblety gook lingo.
    Have nothing against the Irish language at all

Sure you don't :rolleyes:

iDave wrote: »
    Sure you don't :rolleyes:

Have nothing against Swahili either,

but it`s all gobblety-gook to me

and you as well.

ps, i do however note your condemnation of the death threat

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Have nothing against Swahili either,

but it`s all gobblety-gook to me

Not understanding a language ≠ 'gobblety-gook'
    and you as well.

Sound
    ps, i do however note your condemnation of the death threat

but but but what about.....

• Advertisement

Whoever made the threat isn't elected to govern.

Do you not see why elected representatives have a higher responsibility to not feed into the vicious cycle of hatred and division?

The primary holders of power/responsibility to break that cycle lies with those who govern.

If you don't understand that then I'll have to leave it there.

Yes, a lot to be said for that,

but do you remember Paisley referring to Cowan i think it was as `ole rubber lips`? That was laughed off at the time and nothing remarked on it.

There are just some sections now that go out of their way to be offended

iDave wrote: »
    Not understanding a language ≠ 'gobblety-gook'

Sound

but but but what about.....

Sorry Dave, but that last post is all, ermm, well, gobblety-gook to me

translation please!

Yes, a lot to be said for that,

but do you remember Paisley referring to Cowan i think it was as `ole rubber lips`? That was laughed off at the time and nothing remarked on it.

There are just some sections now that go out of their way to be offended

The comments were specifically designed to offend.

The implication is that Irish culture is beneath him and doesn't deserve respect, a sentiment which is arguably the core reason for the troubles.

In that context can you see why Campbell's comments are disturbing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

I had the misfortune over the weekend to stumble across this Campbell scrote on the television and viewed his remarks. same old same old it would appear. he doesn't speak very well, his message is basic and inflammatory and he struck me as being a bit dim. no surprises there. then I read today that he would treat any Irish language act like "toilet paper". a bit sad really these people are apparently "leaders" and decision makers. it would appear that for some/all?? on the unionist political side of things respecting "culture" is a one way street. Robinson has defended his comments. respect our marches / culture and fleg they say but any proposed Irish language act will be treated as toilet paper to some of their politicians. hmmmm.

WakeUp wrote: »
    it would appear that for some/all?? on the unionist political side of things respecting "culture" is a one way street.

Union/loyalist culture is more of an anti-culture and is formed from hostility towards Catholics traditionally and all things non-unionist/Protestant since partition. A lot describe themselves as British but would be quite alien to the average British person.

Campbell, and his dim-witted ilk, have found themselves in a position where they are exposed to everything they hated, feared and fought to prevent. 'Taigs' everywhere speaking Irish and being all Irishy in Stormont, Orange domination of the public institutions dismantled, Unionists like Campbell locked into power sharing with people they never wanted to be around.

There's a nasty element within union/loyalism that never wanted to share power under any circumstances.

I had the misfortune over the weekend to stumble across this Campbell scrote on the television and viewed his remarks. same old same old it would appear. he doesn't speak very well, his message is basic and inflammatory and he struck me as being a bit dim. no surprises there. then I read today that he would treat any Irish language act like "toilet paper". a bit sad really these people are apparently "leaders" and decision makers. it would appear that for some/all?? on the unionist political side of things respecting "culture" is a one way street. Robinson has defended his comments. respect our marches / culture and fleg they say but any proposed Irish language act will be treated as toilet paper to some of their politicians. hmmmm.
    Union/loyalist culture is more of an anti-culture and is formed from hostility towards Catholics traditionally and all things non-unionist/Protestant since partition. A lot describe themselves as British but would be quite alien to the average British person.

Campbell, and his dim-witted ilk, have found themselves in a position where they are exposed to everything they hated, feared and fought to prevent. 'Taigs' everywhere speaking Irish and being all Irishy in Stormont, Orange domination of the public institutions dismantled, Unionists like Campbell locked into power sharing with people they never wanted to be around.

There's a nasty element within union/loyalism that never wanted to share power under any circumstances.

Had to check the address bar then to make sure we hadn`t strayed onto An Phoblacht - what a hate filled diatribe against a section of this islands population, you pair should hang your heads in shame.

Someone receives a death threat today and you can`t find it within yourselves to utter one word of condemnation. Totally Disgraceful.

So do you agree with this death threat or not??

Thats a Yes or No please??

• Advertisement

Had to check the address bar then to make sure we hadn`t strayed onto An Phoblacht - what a hate filled diatribe against a section of this islands population, you pair should hang your heads in shame.

Someone receives a death threat today and you can`t find it within yourselves to utter one word of condemnation. Totally Disgraceful.

hang my head in shame, really. ask my bollox how about that. of course I don't agree with a death threat against someone and condemn it wholeheartedly to even suggest the opposite is puerile and pathetic in the extreme. I never attacked a section of the Islands population stop making things up. I did however have a pop at Campbell and judging by his comments and how he handles himself the man is still a scrote. that's my opinion and if it puts your nose out of joint I do apologise but I'm afraid that's your problem not mine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Don Kedick

It's lucky things have moved on from back when unionists had the run of the place. It doesn't go down well with people like Campbell and yourself but nationalists have a voice now. :)

I don't agree with a death threat against someone and condemn it wholeheartedly to even suggest the opposite is puerile and pathetic in the extreme. I never attacked a section of the Islands population stop making things up. I did however have a pop at Campbell and judging by his comments and how he handles himself the man is still a scrote. that's my opinion and if it puts your nose out of joint I do apologise but I'm afraid that's your problem not mine.

Well thats a start,

after pages upon pages of dogs abuse against a politician poking fun at SF we`ve finally dragged out a begrudging condemnation against a death threat.

Why is it you and you're ilk go out of your way to be offended? Any normal person would`ve thrown similar back in Campbells face and that would be the end of it. This attitude of trying to paint yourselves as the poor downtrodden victim to the outside world. It doesn't wash any more. There used to be roughly 4% support for a United Ireland by protestants in NI now it's 0% because they would sooner live in North Korea.

you pair should hang your heads in shame.

See my post there you have a problem with? Yeah? Well why don't you take any of the facts I've highlighted and tell me how they're 'hate-filled'.

I suspect you will return to form and ignore everything in favour of defending that ignorant 'curry my yoghurt' clown Campbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

I dont believe he actually got a death threat.

I think someone in his camp phoned it in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Don Kedick

No, someone said they'd curry his yoghurt and he took it the wrong way.

Well thats a start,

after pages upon pages of dogs abuse against a politician poking fun at SF we`ve finally dragged out a begrudging condemnation against a death threat.

Why is it you and you're ilk go out of your way to be offended? Any normal person would`ve thrown similar back in Campbells face and that would be the end of it. This attitude of trying to paint yourselves as the poor downtrodden victim to the outside world. It doesn't wash any more. There used to be roughly 4% support for a United Ireland by protestants in NI now it's 0% because they would sooner live in North Korea.

Hold on now, you've made this point already and had it addressed so I'll ask you straight.

Do you not agree that the ultimate responsibility towards breaking the cycle of hatred and bigotry lies with elected representatives?

Bearing in mind that the overwhelming majority of this island voted for a peaceful solution.

The reason I take offence to Campbell is that he is attempting to undo that work.

He has a greater responsibility to the moron who issued the threat.

Well thats a start,

are you having a laugh or what. clearly it's yourself that is offended for some odd reason and not me. I'm sry for having at go at your St. Greg of the house Campbell. you haven't dragged anything out of me and there is nothing begrudging about my condemnation. anyone who threatens to kill another person is obviously an idiot, dangerous and belongs in prison. scumbags if you will. and such things go without saying. stop making things up and assumptions on my behalf with your tacit and puerile attempts to place me in one corner or another. I'm perfectly happy the way things are north and South with regard to a united Ireland. leave it alone as far as I'm concerned that's a question for future generations at least a couple of them and that's if it even comes up who knows .North Korea. great bunch of lads actually. reckon Campbell would fit in well there I wonder is he as hot as the dear leader on the golf course. you wouldn't believe what he did once upon a time. 600 consecutive hole in ones or something. they could play golf. when they aren't playing twister. and eating dog for their dinner in the dark as the lights aren't turned on. let's all head to North Korea. sounds like a great plan.

Hold on now, you've made this point already and had it addressed so I'll ask you straight.

Do you not agree that the ultimate responsibility towards breaking the cycle of hatred and bigotry lies with elected representatives?

Up to a point yes, but they`re only a reflection of the people that elected them.

This Campbell thing came at the right time for SF, they were under several uncomfortable spotlights recently, Adams and the Cahill case, body found in Meath, blocking the Health issue etc.

Campbell being sarky in the chamber pales into insignificance compared to all this - but maybe you people don`t think so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Really sick of this "both sides are as bad as each other" bollocks coming from probably well meaning but ultimately ignorant posters on here. There is no comparison whatsoever between the actions of unionism and nationalism in the assembly. From the get go unionism as been petty, vindictive and spiteful. Conversely, nationalism/republicanism has compromised at every turn to keep the assembly on its feet and the peace process moving forward.

Up to a point yes, but they`re only a reflection of the people that elected them.

This Campbell thing came at the right time for SF, they were under several uncomfortable spotlights recently, Adams and the Cahill case, body found in Meath, blocking the Health issue etc.

Campbell being sarky in the chamber pales into insignificance compared to all this - but maybe you people don`t think so?

If Campbell is a reflection of the people that elected him then what does that say about those people?.. he wants to wipe his arse with any proposed Irish language act. this scrote wasn't on my radar till I stumbled upon him over the weekend and then this thread. he is now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Really sick of this "both sides are as bad as each other" bollocks coming from probably well meaning but ultimately ignorant posters on here. There is no comparison whatsoever between the actions of unionism and nationalism in the assembly. From the get go unionism as been petty, vindictive and spiteful. Conversely, nationalism/republicanism has compromised at every turn to keep the assembly on its feet and the peace process moving forward.
    Erm, I think you'll find nationalists have been equally petty.

^^^ Don't take the bait lads ^^^

Just watched Campbell's gob****ery at the DUP conference and all the snickering goons who thought he was funny.

Kyle Paisley was saying he was an affront to unionists and Protestants. Where are the moderate Unionist politicians calling on this clown to stop?

lol Jack, thanks for that fair and balanced observation from south armagh!.

yes they compromised in Newry alright, by renaming a childrens playground after a hunger striker that threw his life away - very progressive that one.

Really sick of this "both sides are as bad as each other" bollocks coming from probably well meaning but ultimately ignorant posters on here.

Nationalists are generally progressive and want to get on with pushing the north into the 21st Century while Unionists like Gregory Campbell and Peter Robinson want to do everything they can to stop it moving further from 1690.

I wouldn't surprised if the British Govt will have to step in some time in the future and threaten to administer the north with a role for the Irish Govt, this is of course anathema to Unionists but may be the only way of reigning in DUP obstructionism.

• Advertisement

yes they compromised in Newry alright, by renaming a childrens playground after a hunger striker that threw his life away - very progressive that one.
    Don't forget the removal of the flag form Belfast city hall, nothing petty about that. Nope, not at all.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Don't forget the removal of the flag form Belfast city hall, nothing petty about that. Nope, not at all.

Er, ok, just that i`m missing the link to the naming of a childrens playground of a terrorist

??

Er, ok, just that i`m missing the link to the naming of a childrens playground of a terrorist

??
    They're both petty things to do. Granted the former is more sick though.

The flag wasn't removed from BCH - its flying was synchronized with how it is done in Britain and the moderate unionist Alliance Party was part of the vote so it wasn't exclusively a Nationalist decision.

What was petty territory marking was the fact that the UUP/DUP wanted it flying over BCH 24/7/365 and organised a leaflet drop to loyalist areas to antagonise the fleggers.

All this is whataboutery and an attempt to draw attention away from Campbell's acting the asshole.

All this is whataboutery and an attempt to draw attention away from Campbell's acting the asshole.

Thats only your perception and opinion, to which you`re entitled.

Others would say he was poking fun at SF and highlighting the politicising of the Irish language in a parliament where nobody speaks or understands it.

But of course SF knew that and were out to bait and deflect attention from their own present woes.

anyways, a lasting solution is the border done away with and a re united ireland (imo)

Thats only your perception and opinion, to which you`re entitled.

Others would say he was poking fun at SF and highlighting the politicising of the Irish language in a parliament where nobody speaks or understands it.

But of course SF knew that and were out to bait and deflect attention from their own present woes.

anyways, a lasting solution is the border done away with and a re united ireland (imo)

You need to unify the people before you can go around erasing borders, having respect for the languages of the island would go a long way towards that.

But of course SF knew that and were out to bait

They've been speaking Irish since they started in there? Afaia they only say a few words to address titles and repeat any Irish spoken in English for non-speakers like me. Explain to me how that is it baiting?

They've been speaking Irish since they started in there? Afaia they only say a few words to address titles and repeat any Irish spoken in English for non-speakers like me. Explain to me how that is it baiting?

Oh ok,... so it`s ok with you to conduct parliamentary procedure in the chamber where only a handful of those present actually know whats being said?
    The Speaker hasn`t a clue and neither does anyone else, so tell me why does SF do it??

It`s pretty obvious isn`t it?

lol Jack, thanks for that fair and balanced observation from south armagh!.

What has south Armagh got to do with it. The facts are there to see for yourself. Unionism in stormont has been charactarised by reactionary, bigoted and petty politics. The entire unionist DUP/UUP/TUV philosophy can be summed up with "themmuns gets evrahin and weesuns gets nahin."
    In the past week alone we've seen an assault on the Irish language and attempts to introduce loop holes into equality laws. Im sorry if stating the facts makes me appear biased but there they are.

That park is located between a number of different estates in Newry. It's not a city centre park and is used almost exclusively by people in those estates. When the park was built a poll was taken in the area as to what they wanted it to be called. That was the response of the overwhelming majority. Are Newry and Mourne Council now to go against the wishes of those who elect them?
    A report carried out by the equality commission years later after complaints from unionists who were all of a sudden offended by this (nothing to do with it coinciding with their union flag idiocy) found that the name should remain.
    Iwasfrozen wrote: »

Actually this is a perfect example of how SF arent petty. They could have pushed a vote on the issue to get it taken down completely, which would have been the fair thing to do. Instead they compromised and merely reduced it to designated days. Ever been in Belfast City Hall, it's wall to wall with union flags and british insignia yet SF even compromised on this simple move. How was that compromise rewarded. Damn near a year of UUP/DUP/TUV stirring up the violent thugs in their communities and encouraging them to wreck the place.

• Advertisement

Oh ok,... so it`s ok with you to conduct parliamentary procedure in the chamber where only a handful of those present actually know whats being said?
    The Speaker hasn`t a clue and neither does anyone else, so tell me why does SF do it??

It`s pretty obvious isn`t it?

A handful? There are fluent Irish speakers in both SF and the SDLP and Id imagine all of them have a basic knowledge of Irish.
    Not to mention that after Gregory's little stunt pretty much everyone in the north now knows what 'go raibh maith agat, Ceann Comhairle' means.
    It's a true testament to the unionist mindset that they can get so worked up over two seconds at the start of a speech, especially given that they all know rightly what it means.
    Sinn Fein are an all Ireland party and have been vociferous in their defence of the Irish language. I really dont see the harm in using it either bilingually or for courteous greetings etc..
    Conversely, can you please tell me what is offensive and outrageous about an Irish member of an Irish parliament saying thank you in irish?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement