Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry my yoghurt!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Don Kedick

Loughside must love washing them dishes.

loughside wrote: »

now, when you went to primary school (did you??!!) that leaves 97% who spoke what ????

yes, you got it --> ENGLISH

.. take your time... ;)

No not all of the 97%, some speak Polish or Russian, French, German, Urdu or one of the many other languages that recent migrants have brought with them.

Some even speak Ulster Scots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Think ya tripped up a little bit there.

Britain is to the East of Ireland?

LOL, don`t get yerself worked up intil a state now.. :D

I'm quite calm.
    listen up to this fact..

Irrelevant. Why do you have a problem with people using Irish in Stormont?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

No not all of the 97%, some speak Polish or Russian, French, German, Urdu or one of the many other languages that recent migrants have brought with them.

Some even speak Ulster Scots.

True, not all, but probably 99% of the remaining 97, and of course Ulster Scots isn`t a true language more of a dialect.

Have nothing against the Irish language at all, but to see it being used in government only as a tool to goad and inflame `the other side` by well dressed terrorists is disgusting and does nothing to promote it.

• Advertisement

the Irish language ... being used in government only as a tool to goad and inflame

How is using the Irish language goading? Afaia they use it in a ceremonial fashion, like in Dáil Éireann, and repeat what they say in English.

Are you aware that demand to learn Irish is soaring in East Belfast? The Irish language doesn't belong to Republicans.

Right, lets look at it this way. As the Irish language enjoys constitutional status as the national and first official language of ROI, why then is it not used exclusively in Dáil Éireann? Whats this foreign English lingo about then?

Simple - nobody can fully communicate in it.

Also if Campbell were a member in Dáil Éireann and started babbling on in UlsterScotch, something a very few understands, he would be looked upon as taking the pi$$, and rightfully so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Gregory is spot on and to be applauded, a seat of British local government is no place to air republican sectarianism in the form of this gobblety gook lingo.

Simply another trouble-stirring stunt from our Armani clad terrorists in Stormont.

If certain elements want to follow this then pursue it as a hobby or take it up at night-school or whatever - not use it as a tool to inflame and incite their fellow countrymen.

I agree, we need less of the Leprechaun language heard within the halls of power. :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

in the form of this gobblety gook lingo.
    ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I agree, we need less of the Leprechaun language heard within the halls of power. :)
    Debate the merits of the Irish language all you want, but keep it respectful. Posts like the above are trolling and bans will be handed out if people can't post without resorting to childish insults.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Debate the merits of the Irish language all you want, but keep it respectful. Posts like the above are trolling and bans will be handed out if people can't post without resorting to childish insults.

Mod, you`re missing the whole point, nothing to do with trolling,

there`s absolutely nothing wrong with any language be it Irish, English or whatever, but in this case it`s patently clear it`s use was primarily to agitate and inflame the unionist politicians.

Even the majority of the SF members can`t communicate in Irish let alone anyone else - so why use it??

Campbell was doing nothing more than poking fun back at SF and they know that,

yes... SF, offended by everything, ashamed of nothing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

Mod, you`re missing the whole point, nothing to do with trolling,

there`s absolutely nothing wrong with any language be it Irish, English or whatever, but in this case it`s patently clear it`s use was primarily to agitate and inflame the unionist politicians.

Even the majority of the SF members can`t communicate in Irish let alone anyone else - so why use it??

Campbell was doing nothing more than poking fun back at SF and they know that,

yes... SF, offended by everything, ashamed of nothing
    I love the being ok with a politician using such derogatory, inflammatory, bigoted turns of phrase.
    But oh yeh, he's loyalist so it's fine - must bow before our loyalist betters!

You did say there was something wrong with the Irish language - you called it "gobblety gook" (sic) and aligned it with republican sectarianism (:confused:).

I love the being ok with a politician using such derogatory, inflammatory, bigoted turns of phrase.
    But oh yeh, he's loyalist so it's fine - must bow before our loyalist betters!

AND,

I love the being ok with the whinges and whines of a collection of murderous gangsters
    But oh yeh, they`re `ex-terrorists` so it's fine - must bow before our republican betters!

Hey Loughside, why are you ignoring my questions?
    Karl Stein wrote: »
    What exactly is Republican sectarianism and how does speaking Irish 'air' it.
    Why do you have a problem with people using Irish in Stormont?
    How is using the Irish language goading?

you`re asking questions you already know the answers to..... but i`ll play along just for the crack (craic!!)

sectarianism is divisive you`ll agree, hence the use of a language (that divides) that no one in Stormont including most of that particular party btw understands - so why do they do that?

To be provocative and bigoted of course,

but, Hey, you already knew that didn`t you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Laura Palmer

Provocative maybe, bigoted - how so?

But provocation, bigotry, goading, sectarianism... they're fine from Gregory Campbell.

provocation, bigotry, goading, sectarianism... they're fine from Gregory Campbell.

Eh?? !!

"Curry my yoghurt can coca coalyer"

please show me the provocation, bigotry, goading and sectarianism in that ??

what dictionary do you use?

To be provocative and bigoted of course

How is using Irish in Stormont provocative and bigoted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Eh?? !!

"Curry my yoghurt can coca coalyer"

please show me the provocation, bigotry, goading and sectarianism in that ??

what dictionary do you use?

If you don't see mocking Irish pronunciation as goading or divisive then how is the actual language itself divisive?

Had he pronounced it properly you'd probably be up in arms!!!:confused:

I do recall the Unionists of the 1890-1914 era and their famous "Erin go Bragh" slogan. How quick they forget their own history.:rolleyes:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjkP-3YCAAACTtK.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

SF are well known for their use Irish to tick off the unionists. It's probably in the 'but it's our culture!' guidelines somewhere. Neither side in NI have a monopoly on tolerance.

It's less the content of what Campbell said and rather the gesture behind it. He is trolling and attention seeking. This is a nod to his base, fan service and out of the political muppetry playbook. Don't waste your time getting 'offended' about what he said. Be offended by his lack of imagination and need to distract from the executive's budget, the NI health service and whatever other issues they should get getting on with. The best response is probably to ignore, or get him on a news panel and troll him back about curry recipes.

Well, here we have it, the standard republican murder threat - says it all really,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30175412

hope you`re all happy now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Well, here we have it, the standard republican murder threat - says it all really,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30175412

hope you`re all happy now

I'm pretty sure you're happier than anyone else here that this threat was made

bobmalooka wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you're happier than anyone else here that this threat was made

and please explain your reasoning for that??

also i note your condemnation of said threat..

aye right.

aye right.
    I don't feel a need to state my condemnation of that behaviour, it says a lot about your mentality that you do.

I'm not the one actively defending inflammatory policies based on sectarianism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

aye right.

He's right, you seem delighted.

I don't feel a need to state my condemnation of that behaviour

Noted.

but if it was a unionist poking fun instead of a murder threat you`d be all over it like a rash.

nothing like getting your priorities right - nice attitude

Noted.

but if it was a unionist poking fun instead of a murder threat you`d be all over it like a rash.

nothing like getting your priorities right - nice attitude

Whoever made the threat isn't elected to govern.

Do you not see why elected representatives have a higher responsibility to not feed into the vicious cycle of hatred and division?

The primary holders of power/responsibility to break that cycle lies with those who govern.

If you don't understand that then I'll have to leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

gobblety gook lingo.
    Have nothing against the Irish language at all

Sure you don't :rolleyes:

iDave wrote: »
    Sure you don't :rolleyes:

Have nothing against Swahili either,

but it`s all gobblety-gook to me

and you as well.

ps, i do however note your condemnation of the death threat

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Have nothing against Swahili either,

but it`s all gobblety-gook to me

Not understanding a language ≠ 'gobblety-gook'
    and you as well.

Sound
    ps, i do however note your condemnation of the death threat

but but but what about.....

• Advertisement

Whoever made the threat isn't elected to govern.

Do you not see why elected representatives have a higher responsibility to not feed into the vicious cycle of hatred and division?

The primary holders of power/responsibility to break that cycle lies with those who govern.

If you don't understand that then I'll have to leave it there.

Yes, a lot to be said for that,

but do you remember Paisley referring to Cowan i think it was as `ole rubber lips`? That was laughed off at the time and nothing remarked on it.

There are just some sections now that go out of their way to be offended

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement