Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places to buy comics online?

Options
  • 30-08-2014 5:11pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭

I usually use Amazon but sometimes they can be a little overpriced on some things. Are there any good places to get cheap trades, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Hi. Can I ask a related question, because I feel that we're looking for roughly the same thing.

I've set up an account with Forbidden Planet, but I cannot see any single issues. I was hoping to start getting a few monthlies delivered, but there's no option for them. Where can I buy these single issues online?

Thanks.

I've noticed that that there are two stores: ForbiddenPlanet.com and ForbiddenPlanet.co.uk. I thought they were both the same but the former sells the monthlies, while the latter does not. I guess I'll just go with .com site.

By the way, OP, have you tried the Book Depository? Their TPs are often cheaper than Amazon, and they have free delivery on all orders. Delivery can be quite slow (6-7 days), but it's perfect if you're not in a hurry. I've been picking up a load of Vertigo trades lately, many of them for under €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

By the way, OP, have you tried the Book Depository? Their TPs are often cheaper than Amazon, and they have free delivery on all orders. Delivery can be quite slow (6-7 days), but it's perfect if you're not in a hurry. I've been picking up a load of Vertigo trades lately, many of them for under €10.

I also recommend Book Depository.Always found them to be an excellent service with discounts,free delivery and free bookmarks with every purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MeTV

Have you tried The Big Bang in Dundrum? They'll do you a standing order, send you a list every week of what's coming in the following week, send your stuff to you anywhere in the country and their prices are dollar to euro (a $3.99 book, for example, is €3.99).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Burky126 wrote: »
    I also recommend Book Depository.Always found them to be an excellent service with discounts,free delivery and free bookmarks with every purchase!

I used to really like BD but I've found that since Amazon bought them they're pretty much charging the same as Amazon for everything (whereas before BD would be cheaper than Amazon for some books, sometimes noticeably so for backstock).

SpeedyHen seem to be the latest decent and cheap online bookshop - I've only picked up a couple of things from them but prices have been good and shipping has been fast. The only issue with them is that as they are apparently linked to a book distributor rather than a Diamond-based distributor, their release dates for trades are a few weeks behind the LCS release dates.

Fysh wrote: »
    I used to really like BD but I've found that since Amazon bought them they're pretty much charging the same as Amazon for everything (whereas before BD would be cheaper than Amazon for some books, sometimes noticeably so for backstock).

I agree. Their prices have definitely gone up. But they still offer good value. Amazon is often cheaper, sometimes by as much as £1 for a TP. However, BD offers free postage on every item. Compare that to Amazon, where you have to spend at least £25 to qualify for free delivery. For example, I can get Chew Vol. 1 on BD for less than than what Amazon are charging for delivery. It's a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

For the Floppies I use The Big Bang in Dundrum. They generally get delivered on new comic day and the price is right.

Have them sending bits to my Nephew in Tyrone too.
    And thier sales are quite tasty too.
    Managed to pick up the final 5 trades of Peter Davids run on X factor for 25 quid this weekend.

Advertisement