Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hatred (Videogame)

Options
  • 22-10-2014 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

This is Hatred , which I like to call 2014 Manhunt , a game purely marketed and poorly Marketed on shock value , Unneeded violence and this is just going to cause a whole new **** storm about videogame violence.

The trailer looks so crap. should be in the same bracket as Ride to Hell:Retribution for worst videogame ever made.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That voice over is embarrassing. It looks like the kind of game that a 12 year old that listens to too much slip knot would love. I'll be ignoring this one, it looks even worse tripe than Manhunt which was awful and reminds me if the equally awful Postal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

That game looks ****ed up. Who wants to play a character that kills innocents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

and this is just going to cause a whole new **** storm about videogame violence.

If there's going to be controversy, it's because the game designer is allegedly a neo-nazi. Girlfriend showed me the trailer the other day, and my first impression was "Meh, looks like a Postal clone", then she told me the neo-nazi allegations, and the trailer looked a bit more sinister, even the use of the word genocide. :o

gonna stick to Hotline Miami for my dose of ultra-violence

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Everything I've read and seen about it makes it look like a game made by scumbags for scumbags.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So they aren't doing it for shock value but because they are a pathetic loser. Makes sense now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Links234 wrote: »
    If there's going to be controversy, it's because the game designer is allegedly a neo-nazi. Girlfriend showed me the trailer the other day, and my first impression was "Meh, looks like a Postal clone", then she told me the neo-nazi allegations, and the trailer looked a bit more sinister, even the use of the word genocide. :o

gonna stick to Hotline Miami for my dose of ultra-violence

He's publicly denied being a neo-nazi or a member of associated extremist far-right groups in Poland. Reports have just proven that he and other members of the team have liked some of those groups on Facebook. It probably does indicate that they're a bigoted group (unsurprising given the horrible, misanthropic nature of the game) but I think some of the accusations are potentially jumping the gun a bit and misunderstand what the groups they support actually represent, which, whilst being largely extremist right-wing horribleness isn't quite the same as Neo-Nazi groups. Not the kind of people you want to run in if you're a minority though and certainly not a group I'd ever support financially or otherwise. Hopefully the press can just ignore it and deny them the publicity they seek from the shock-value of the material.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Can't really call it the manhunt of 2014 though because at least that game had you killing prisoners for reasons didn't it? You had to try to escape the prison? This ridiculous sh!t appears like it's purely based on mass murdering innocent civilians for no reason, and with no consequences either. Plus it's a top down game so that'll automatically rule it out for a lot of people. Maybe if it was first person a lot more idiots would give it a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I was careful enough to have said allegedly, but come on, the guy has made possibly the weakest cop-out saying that he doesn't support the groups actions he just likes their page "for the news"? Sure ya do

fry-suspicious.gif

I eh, read playboy for the articles, yeah that's it, for the articles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I read about this the other day and had honestly hoped it wouldn't appear here, under the line of thinking that garbage like this doesn't deserve the oxygen generated by discussion, and ultimately will only benefit the maker while dragging the rest of the industry down. It looks irredeemably bad, completely without merit or subtext and if that's true about the designer then it paints the game with a much more sinister, uncomfortable hue.

It should be ignored and forgotten as quickly as possible; it's clearly a 'controversy' in the making if allowed to break loose into the public realm. Games are getting a bit of a pasting at the moment as it stands, what with that other big hot topic floating about (rhymes with flamer-date *wink wink*), I'd hate to see this trash getting picked up by outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Interview with the dev on EG or Kotaku the other day, seems like a bit of an odd ball.

It will sell tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Yup, I guess he's hardly gonna come out and do a salute or anything to affirm the allegations, maybe he would if he wasn't trying to sell something!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

"These days, when a lot of games are heading to be polite, colorful, politically correct and trying to be some kind of higher art, rather than just an entertainment , we wanted to create something against trends. We say ‘yes, it is a game about killing people' and the only reason of the antagonist doing that sick stuff is his deep-rooted hatred."

Right so. Set phasers to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I like the style of it tbh, isometric with killcam cutscenes. Seen worse in other games. But i'd probably skip it if it's just your man going around killing for the sake of it.. ye can do that in lots of games anytime ye want and it gets boring after 20 minutes of hilarity.

What i didnt like was that it immediately reminded me of the trenchcoat mafia of Columbine infamy. I get the whole anti-hero thing but it's a step too far when you're reminded of the needless massacre of defenseless and innocent people. Wether he's a neo-nazi or not i dont think it's morally right to ever make light of such a tragedy through a game.

Felt the same way about that 'bomb gaza' game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Its out there to create a shìtstorm, isn't it called propaganda in the video description? Being Isometric is probably a lot cheaper to develop, and a lot easier to run, giving more resources to making the graphics as gruesome as possible.

Thus adding to the shìtstorm

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Interview with the dev on EG or Kotaku the other day, seems like a bit of an odd ball.

It will sell tho.

Only in countries it doesn't get banned

Australia will never see it anyway, that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

To be totally honest im actually quite interested to see where this will go now.

Ill be keeping an eye on this! Be surprised if it doesnt get watered down somewhat before release though. Any mention of what platforms its for?

i just seen there pc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I was just about to post a thread on this. Saw it the other night and only remembered it now. Funny thing is, if you slapped GTA onto it and gave it a reason for the mass killings, there wouldn't be as much of an outrage. I think it looks good, but the voiceover is terrible, and it seems to be causing controversy for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

The animations and art style are alot better than many isometric zombie shooters I've seen in the past. They must be a fairly talented bunch working on it. Also pretty smart idea to use the whole 'kill innocent people' theme to incite faux outrage on the internet in order to boost popularity. The faux outrage is particularly hilarous considering the excessive violence in cinema over the last century, let alone the fact that you could do this in every GTA for the last 20 years, and numerous other games.

The youngsters working on this must be in tears laughing at the reception it has gotten.

Anyway, it may be void of a good story, but if the mechanics are solid and the gameplay is fun, I might pick it up, but I doubt it as there are so many other good games coming out soon.

Credit where it's due, it looks alot more polished than the isometric shooters that came before it. Just replace "innocent computer pixel people" with "Guilty computer pixel zombies" and you have yourself a fresh new game!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

This is much worse than Manhunt in fairness. In manhunt you were fighting for survival, it was kill or be killed. This game Hatred is mass murdering, kill every innocent you can, for no reason other than a crazy person snapping.

• Advertisement

Hahaha, the devs are delighted! Fair play to them.
    Hello to all of you!

Those were a long, long few days since our trailer relase. We feel obligued to write down this post to report how things are going and to set some light on a few things. First of all we have to quote: "well, that escalated quickly!". We knew that our reveal will cause some ****storm, but never expected it to be so huge. We wish to thank all of our haters and all upset press for a great marketing campaign they've done for us. A week ago, we were a little company from the middle of nowhere, just some guys making some game. Today everyone heard about "Hatred" and us. All thanks goes to those who were trying to harm us (with no desired effect, what a pity). On the other hand - we didn't expect that much of support and we weren't aware of how many people are out there, who think like us and who will entitle themselves as our dedicated fans. We want all of them to know: we won't stop, we won't change what this game is going to be and we'll deliver the best game we can to all of you!

Many can call us "attention whores" - well, we try to get world's attention to our product and as you can see - it worked perfectly. But there are some true attention whores out there, who are trying to imply that we are neo-nazis and some other stupid stuff. Do not believe everything you read on the web, especially written by no-name pathetic bloggers or some unhappy guys commenting around the web. From all of the ****storm upon us, that was the only thing which really made us pissed-off, because it's simply too much. I've been told that it would be best for all members from my team who were accused of such things to write down his statement and publish it. So here we go:

"My grand-grand father was killed by Gestapo. Some members of my family were fighting against nazi occupation in the polish underground army called "Armia Krajowa". My forefathers suffered greatly because of totallitarian regimes, so who the **** would I be if I'd truly support any of nazi activists? People give "likes" on Facebook all the time, even if they don't know what is exactly behind this or that fanpage. I did the same. Suddenly it makes me neo-nazi, great, have fun you stupid ass haters. Learn some history first, because when I read about "polish death camps" it makes me disgusted. You don't know **** about our history and you fall easily to false propaganda. The hateful title I'm working on (where virtual character hates virtual characters), doesn't have any connection to what I truly believe and think, there is a real-life outside, you know? Maybe you should try it? I will never ever again respond to any of those accusations, this is my ultimate statement."
    J. Z.
    "Nazi Germany is responsible for killing 6 milion people in Poland. Half of them were Jews, half of them Polish. My family suffered many losses during the World War II. Anybody accusing me for being a follower of said ideology should really think twice before doing so and consider reading some books on the topic. This is basic history knowledge really and also happens to be a very personal matter for me. I am not a neo-Nazi nor a fascist and it is utterly disgusting to be called this way. And I have to say it’s really surprising for me how somebody from the United States especially can have troubles understanding such simple and universal values as patriotism, honoring one own national symbols and caring for the future of his own country. Values like pluralism , democratic opposition and the right to manifest one own views shouldn’t be called ‘the lack of tolerance’. Finally regarding my attitude towards gays let me just say that I have a few gay friends that I deeply respect as people and have no problem with their sexual orientation."
    M. K.

"In response to repeated allegations against me, I’d like to state that I’m opposed to all totalitarian ideologies. The t-shirt that I’m wearing on our team picture refers to National Polish Army troops, that in 1945 refused to lay down arms and continue fighting against the new invader, to regain independent Poland. They did so because they’ve rightly anticipated Soviet security service repressions against Polish already demilitarized army. I would also like to emphasize that until the year 1945 those troops were actively fighting against the Third Reich occupation. Those soldiers are Polish national heroes and as such deserve commemoration. Just as much as American troops that lose their lives fighting against terrorism. As to organizations that profiles I follow, they refer to the patriotic and libertarian tradition, and not to the totalitarian ideology."
    J. S.

There is one more thing - accusing Hatred to be some kind of racist game. What the hell is wrong with you, people? The Antagonist is killing everyone equally, race doesn't matter (it's randomly generated for all NPC's), sex doesn't matter (it's random too), so you can call it the most tolerant game, promoting equality. Here everybody dies.

BTW: We've established our official forums, you can see the link above, on the menu bar.

Jarosław Zieliński

Yogosan wrote: »
    Hahaha, the devs are delighted! Fair play to them.

Lol cheeky and well played to be honest

pretty effective marketing lol

I still wont be buying it if it's anything like what i'm assuming it's going to be like.

pretty effective marketing lol

I still wont be buying it if it's anything like what i'm assuming it's going to be like.
    It is very satisfying when the very people lambasting the game are the ones doing the most to promote it. Reminds me of the woman who kept buying out a shops supply of death metal t-shirts in order to stop children getting their hands on them!

As the devs said, before the backlash they were an unknown irrelevent studio in Poland. Now thanks to a bunch of over sensitive pansies, desperate for people to be as sensitive as they are, they have launched the game into uncharted territory sales wise.

Do people out their really live in such fear as to think that this game is going to cause mass violence? Irrationality like that is what causes violence. The people complaining about this game are probably the very same people who are afraid a Muslim is going to murder them in the morning.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Disapproving of violent game = you're probably Islamophobic? That's a fun leap!

At risk of spending more time talking about this game than I want to, my issue is how tone deaf the developers appear to be about their own game. 'Just entertainment'? No. They are making a game that makes a radical cultural and political statement, influenced it seems by their own worldview and politics. They are taking advantage of incredibly loaded and sensitive imagery. And it will feed into a wider dialogue about violence and games. By their own admission, however, they have nothing of note to say about any of that, and are making a mindless (if very possibly technically, aesthetically and mechanically competent) 'genocide' (again, their words) shooter. It is an absolute waste.

Hotline Miami is a hyperviolent game that nonetheless cleverly comments on violence, its impact on the protagonist and also the player's role in it all. This - and I'm going by the developer's own statement here - has no such ambitions. It exists to shock, offend and exploit - I'm more apathetic to it than anything, though, TBH, and would be inclined to ignore it rather than feed into the inevitably toxic discussion that has already surrounded it (sadly, I have already failed). Nonetheless, the developers to their credit are most definitely not tone deaf when it comes to marketing and publicity, but ultimately seem consciously and strangely proud to make a game that is artistically hollow and ignorant of or at least indifferent to its own implications.

Disapproving of violent game = you're probably Islamophobic? That's a fun leap!

At risk of spending more time talking about this game than I want to, my issue is how tone deaf the developers appear to be about their own game. 'Just entertainment'? No. They are making a game that makes a radical cultural and political statement, influenced it seems by their own worldview and politics. They are taking advantage of incredibly loaded and sensitive imagery. And it will feed into a wider dialogue about violence and games. By their own admission, however, they have nothing of note to say about any of that, and are making a mindless (if very possibly technically, aesthetically and mechanically competent) 'genocide' (again, their words) shooter. It is an absolute waste.

Hotline Miami is a hyperviolent game that nonetheless cleverly comments on violence, its impact on the protagonist and also the player's role in it all. This - and I'm going by the developer's own statement here - has no such ambitions. It exists to shock, offend and exploit - I'm more apathetic to it than anything, though, TBH, and would be inclined to ignore it rather than feed into the inevitably toxic discussion that has already surrounded it (sadly, I have already failed). Nonetheless, the developers to their credit are most definitely not tone deaf when it comes to marketing and publicity, but ultimately seem consciously and strangely proud to make a game that is artistically hollow and ignorant of or at least indifferent to its own implications.

The developers have themselves been called 'Islamaphobes' AND neo-nazis. Who knows what else they have been called. Even though they probably had little intention of getting people to reflect on violence in video games they have succeeded.

What is that crap about 'influenced by their own worldview'? They are influenced by the public the game developers and film makers before them who use violence to promote their mediums. That is just common knowledge. At least these guys have the honesty to admit that. What is the justification for killing innocents in GTA? "The characters are funny", "it's cartoonish" (Like Hotline Miami), "they game isn't about killing innocents, you can also torture people and play golf". Well woopdy ****in doo, give Rockstar the Nobel Peace Prize.

Take a look at a Call of Duty dev openly suggesting brainwashing people through bombardment of constant advertising in order to convince them to put soldiers into schools in order to "combat the threat of terrorists on our front door". That is some proper sinister crap, but Call of Duty gets a free pass because they have enough money to market the game as something more meaningful for the likes of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Read an article about this on EG alright and the video is just a little to extreme. I am playing games 24+ years and this is the first game I thought to myself "what the hell is the point in this game". It just seems overly violent. That part when he puts the gun into the womans mouth is a little to much...

I will be avoiding this one for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Ignoring all the controversy of the devs (which doesn't effect the quality of a game imo, think Fez), it's actually astounding to see so many people's tails go between their legs and call this game sick or pointless violence. I know dozens of games that are about pointless violence no matter how much they try to dress it up tacked-on plots to give the violence some meaning.

Someone even said that Manhunt had more integrity than this game becauase you were fighting for your survival. Really? If you literally just mute the dude who talks to you in your earpiece the entire thing is about some skinhead killing thugs for fun because he woke up in a hospital bed with nothing better to do.

I'm not defending this game Hatred, though. I think it looks a bit boring (but not entirely low-quality) and is probably just gonna be the fuel all those news channels and helicopter moms needed in order to say video games are the cause of violence - But as a gamer to think it's anything worse than stuff we've already seen is ridiculous. I've been chainsawing people into tiny pieces and then eating them out of bathtubs since fallout 3, sticking anal probes and sucking people's brains out in Destroy All Humans and witnessing corridor walls laced with skin drip with f'ing period blood in Silent Hill 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This game definitely won't be vanishing into obscurity, someone in the media will pick it up and do a piece on it to use as an easy representative of violence in gaming, that this is the standard of games children play.

The devs will get exactly what they want in terms of exposure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Yogosan wrote: »
    What is that crap about 'influenced by their own worldview'?...

Well woopdy ****in doo, give Rockstar the Nobel Peace Prize...

That is some proper sinister crap, but Call of Duty gets a free pass because they have enough money to market the game as something more meaningful for the likes of you...

Cool the jets. You seem to be taking this a little personally.

I agree with j_u TBH. If they just wanted to create a game for entertainment, they could have replaced the innocent civilians with zombies or some other type of monster. Instead, they chose to use bystanders as targets.

If they had wanted to make a point regarding the violence we may overlook in other games, they could have - but their own statements say they didn't. If you want a game that explores these themes, give Spec Ops: The Line a go.

Advertisement