Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband

Options
  • 30-06-2013 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Does anyone have Broadband from sky? Is it reliable in the evening or does it slow down? I'm in clonsilla just looking for people's experiences.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

stevekavo wrote: »
    Does anyone have Broadband from sky? Is it reliable in the evening or does it slow down? I'm in clonsilla just looking for people's experiences.

Thanks

Would you not consider UPC?
    Sky TV is better, but I have never had a problem with UPC broadband, brilliant service.
    They could only offer me a maximum of 10mb which isnt competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

Live in D15 for past 12 years now. Tried eircome, BT, Vodafone, Magnet and Clearwire. Been on UPC/NTL for past 4+ years and couldn't have been happier. Sky is the only one that I didn't try. But would highly recommend UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Thanks

As advised, anything wired to your home. bar UPC, will be through Eircom lines. Speeds are in the ha'penny place when compared to UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

I currently have UPC and was just wondering what Sky's Broadband was like as they have much better call rates that UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Richie ae86

ive had sky broadband since it came out and i cant complain, it doesn't slow down in the evenings at all. As was mentioned anything wired to your home has to use eircom lines so your limited to whatever speed the line can handle. In my case is 13mb but i changed from eircom because they charged €68.99 a month for 13mb and sky only charge €39.99 for the same service. I cannot get upc broadband in my area but from what ive heard they are best by far so staying put looks like the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Have Sky Broadband over in Ashtown, have to say its grand. No noticable slowdown, grand for gaming and the speeds not too bad (after being used to 100MB UPC its a change but certainly livable with).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

they have much better call rates that UPC.
    Can you please tell us which call rates are better? (I had a quick browse when Sky BB came out and nothing stood out for me).

I have been with UPC for about 7 years. Great speeds and very reliable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

In my case is 13mb but i changed from eircom because they charged €68.99 a month for 13mb and sky only charge €39.99 for the same service. I cannot get upc broadband in my area but from what ive heard they are best by far so staying put looks like the best option.

Does that 39.99 also include the line rental that you have to pay to Eircom anyway? I've a phone line that I only use for (Eircom) broadband, and the line rental is nearly half of my monthly fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Richie ae86

Gaspode wrote: »
    Does that 39.99 also include the line rental that you have to pay to Eircom anyway? I've a phone line that I only use for (Eircom) broadband, and the line rental is nearly half of my monthly fee.

€39.99 all in. its €30.00 for the line rental and €9.99 for the package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

€40 is the price and that includes unlim bb and evening and weekend calls within the republic after 7, add a anytime talk package for 7.50, includes anytime calls within the republic and 20 international destinations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baegan

been reading through the posts about UPC and SKY as im moving into clonsilla soon and want to have decent broadband with unlimited download with the sky sports 1-4. there is some good info but i have further questions.

any recemmendations on package? as seems like only sky and UPC or is there another provider im missing?

for anyone with sky- im assuming that the tv and the broadband come through the dish?

for anyone with UPC- you need a phoneline into the house? or can it be provided without phone line?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

baegan wrote: »

for anyone with sky- im assuming that the tv and the broadband come through the dish?

You'll also need a landline for Sky as they use BT as their internet provider. I have SKY broadband and it is not a patch on UPC. Will be going back to UPC as soon as the contract is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I've SKY HD and UPC broadband. The best of both worlds.

If you want value for money, get both from one provider, but if you want out and out quality you'll have to choose both.

There is no comparison to UPC when it comes to broadband in Ireland if speed is important to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Trademark

I included the UPC landline into the TV/Internet package and I think it was €5 for 100 mins to mobiles and €5 for an extra 100.
    Long story short my standard rate would be 105 because the mother haaaaaas to have Racing UK at 25 a fooking month! This month's bill is 113.4
    8.40 extra charges for mobile calls is less than the line rental having a regular phone line in use in your house.
    @baegan no phone line needed for UPC, if you're in the right area you can get it all on the one little super fast magic cable!

Advertisement