Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is the JR rail pass worth it?

• 20-10-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    i'm wondering if some one can help with some info regarding the Japan rail pass.

Facts:
    • we're in Japan for just under 2 weeks, 26th Oct - 6th Nov
    • definitely in Tokyo from 26th - 1st Nov
    • definitely in Kyoto from 1st - 3rd Nov
    • unsure what we're doing between 3rd and 6th Nov
    • definitely flying out of Narita on the 6th Nov

So we've almost a week in Toyko and one definitely one long (and expensive) trip from Tokyo to Kyoto and back.

Can any one offer an opinion does the rail pass make sense?

Thanks,
    MiCr0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I was in Japan for 2 week and most of it spent in Tokyo and yes the Rail Pass is worth it

You can use it on lines in Tokyo like the Yamanote line rather than using the subway

actually I think there is JR East rail pass that may get you to Koyoto too, not sure though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

...and yes the Rail Pass is worth it

+1. defo worth it. Saved me a small fortune on roundtrip to Niigata and a small bit of other travel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

did you guys get the 7 or 14 day tickets?

is it valid on the metro in tokyo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

MiCr0 wrote: »
    is it valid on the metro in tokyo?

No but there are Japan Rail lines that run in the city that it is valid on, the Yamanote line is one, I do not know the names of the others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Only way to know really is to check the JR website for single journies for where you need to go, and compare. I did a lot of travelling when I was there so it was well worth it.

An example, Tokyo - Kyoto http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/charge/result.asp
    13220 yen which is about €116!!

true, but the 14 day pass is just under 400euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

MiCr0 wrote: »
    true, but the 14 day pass is just under 400euro

yeah, so cost how many journeys you'll deffo be taking and compare! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Just a quick comment on the cost of the pass. I don't like it when we have to pay over the odds for things in Ireland. I was quoted €637 for the ordinary pass for 21 days by an Irish firm. I managed to get two passes for €590 each by buying from a firm in London, and that was with the 1.75% Visa commission charge on the credit card and £25 express delivery fee (usually £2). Not a massive saving, but I was still pleased to pay a little less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

boombang wrote: »
    Just a quick comment on the cost of the pass. I don't like it when we have to pay over the odds for things in Ireland. I was quoted €637 for the ordinary pass for 21 days by an Irish firm. I managed to get two passes for €590 each by buying from a firm in London, and that was with the 1.75% Visa commission charge on the credit card and £25 express delivery fee (usually £2). Not a massive saving, but I was still pleased to pay a little less.

Hey, I'm looking to get a rail pass in the next couple of weeks, can you give me the details of the cheaper travel firm?

I tried one of the Irish ones and it was €267 or something for the 7 day pass even though 28300Y is about €220 these days.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

gavtron wrote: »
    Hey, I'm looking to get a rail pass in the next couple of weeks, can you give me the details of the cheaper travel firm?

We used these guys last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

Beruthiel wrote: »
    We used these guys last year.

Thanks, I went with JRPass.com in the end, was the cheapest and fastest I could find!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

Hi all, im thinking of going to japan for 2 weeks this october.
    some of you have been to japan on holiday for 2 weeks, can you tell me how much you spent when there?
    i know theres a lot of variables, but a rough costing is helpful for me

also any of you coeliacs? if so what was your experience like in japan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

Hi

I was there earlier this year for 2 weeks. I got a single hotel room in Asakusa (Tokyo) for about €70 a night, in Kyoto and Hiroshima for around €80 a night.

I was prepared by friends that it was very expensive there, but TBH I didn't really find it much worse than here. For example, in the coffee shop opposite my hotel in Asakusa, I could get a coffee and a doughnut for the equivalent of €6.00.

I would say I spent about €1,000/€1,200 in 2 weeks. That included €200 on a trip to Mount Fuji which was a complete and utter waste of money as it was foggy and you could see nothing.

With regards to gluten-free food, any meal I had came with obligatory rice you will probably struggle with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

thankfully ill have free accommodation for some of the time.
    Sheela, 70euro a night by 14 nights is almost 1000euro.
    your 2oo for mount fuji brings you up to your total spent???????? what about food, travel etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

I had my accomodation booked before I went - so the €1,000 was what I spent when there on food/drink/tours etc...

Advertisement