Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Egypt

• 23-03-2013 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi - I'm thinking of booking a trip to Egypt for April. Does anyone know if it is safe to travel to Egypt at the moment?

Would be looking to stay in Sharm El Sheihk or Dahab. Any advice on which would be a better place to visit?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Dahab is absolutely beautiful. Its very chilled out and has a much more laid back feel to it. I would definitely recommend going scuba diving/snorkeling there. The coral reef is about 30m from the shore so you just walk in. It's incredible.

I haven't been to Sharm El Sheihk myself but my friend who has live in Egypt for a few years would always go to Dahab over Sharm (hence why I ended up there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Dahab has more of a laid back backpacker vibe to it while Sharm is where all the large hotels and resorts are. Nothing wrong with either but I preferred Dahab and spent about a week there doing diving and trips into the desert. You'll pay more for most of these trips from Sharm as well as it's a more monied clientele.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Can I bump this thread a little as the safety aspect of the OP's question wasn't dealt with? I'm thinking of heading there in June

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

I was in Sharm at the end of February/start of March, absolutely no hassles at all. Travel advisory from dept foreign affairs was that sharm itself was fine but not to travel outside eg trips out on the Sinai peninsula because the security situation out of the main towns can't be guaranteed. We stuck to that advice and had a great, trouble free holiday so I'd certainly recommend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I was in Sharm at the end of February/start of March, absolutely no hassles at all. Travel advisory from dept foreign affairs was that sharm itself was fine but not to travel outside eg trips out on the Sinai peninsula because the security situation out of the main towns can't be guaranteed. We stuck to that advice and had a great, trouble free holiday so I'd certainly recommend it

Cheers, the reason I asked was that we had booked and paid for a holiday there in March 2012 and it was cancelled by the travel company due to the unrest. We're now free to go on another trip, so this came to mind first.

Since I posted my enquiry here, I checked on the weather history for June and see that it ranges from 35c to 45c, which is a little too hot for an Irish boy :p

Thanks for the reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 SuloBulo

Has anyone a booking in place for Egypt? THE DFA still has recommended no non essential travel to Egypt.

Was wondering if anyone heard anything.

It looks very unlikely that flights will be going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭alwayssideways

SuloBulo wrote: »
    Has anyone a booking in place for Egypt? THE DFA still has recommended no non essential travel to Egypt.

Was wondering if anyone heard anything.

It looks very unlikely that flights will be going anywhere.

We had a booking for the first week in June but the flights have since been cancelled due to the DFA recommendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

We had a booking for the first week in June but the flights have since been cancelled due to the DFA recommendations.

has your money been refunded or what happened? had you booked through an agency?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭alwayssideways

gucci wrote: »
    has your money been refunded or what happened? had you booked through an agency?

I had booked through Oceandivers.

Advertisement