Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with Italy!!

• 09-05-2014 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm travelling to Italy for the first time and just doing research and getting VERY confused.... :confused:

I am flying into Da Vinci airport in Rome and want to travel to Salerno. Am I right in saying that I get the train from the airport to Roma Termini and then get a train from there to Salerno. From Salerno, I get a bus to where my hotel is?

I'm not familiar with the transport system at all so is there a fast and slow train? Is there a massive price difference? Is it best/cheaper to buy in advance or buy there??

Any advice at all would be great.

I like to know exactly what I have to do before going especially because I don't speak Italian :D

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

littlelulu wrote: »
    I like to know exactly what I have to do before going especially because I don't speak Italian :D

A 'ticket' in Italian is a 'bigletto' (bill-YETO) and when you want a return ticket you ask for 'andata e ritorno' - the word 'return' in Italy only refer to the return leg, not to a ticket that gets you there and back as it does here.

Uno bigletto (one ticket)
    Due bigletti (two tickets)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

Hi LittleLulu,
    Yes, from Fiumicino Da Vinci airport, the quickest route is to go to Roma Termini and then take a train to Salerno. This may be direct to Salerno or may require you to change in Naples, depending on your times. Take a look on the TrenItalia website and you will see times / fares etc. it will probably be cheaper if you book in advance.

I used to live in Salerno and have friends from there. Let me know if I can offer any further advice. I can give you a few recommendations. It is a lovely town plus you have all the nice touristy places of the Amalfi coast and Pompeii & Vesuvius on your doorstep. Where is your hotel? There are only a few in the town and most are walking distance from the train station.

Send me a pm if you wish.

Enjoy la bella Italia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

there is a number of direct high-speed trains from rome main station to salerno every day. the Frecciarossa trains will do that route in about 1 hour 55 minutes but expect to pay for the privilege.

there are also a number of "intercity" direct trains on that route, price will be less than the high-speed but you can add an hour to the journey.

its always best to try and buy in advance if possible.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=4ddd1a035296f310VgnVCM1000005817f90aRCRD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

You can check timetables or buy tickets on the site linked in the previous post.

The airport station is "Fiumicino Aeroporto", leave yourself a bit of time after arriving and identify a connection that goes directly from Rome to Salerno rather than one involving a change at Naples.

Sit on the left hand side of the train, there is a nice view of the acqueduct when leaving Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

Thanks, thats a great help :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement