Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminal 1 to terminal 3 Heathrow Time ?

Options
  • 09-05-2014 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi i am flying to China next week my aer lingus flight gets into Heathrow terminal 1 at 13.20 and im getting a connecting flight to shanghai from terminal 3 at 15.15. i am starting to panic a bit about having time to make flight from what i hear about the airport can anyone tell me realistically how long it will take. also will i need to collect my bags etc and check in for china flight.

any tips would be grateful.

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

75 minutes if the official minimum connection time.

Personally I'd be looking for an earlier flight to LHR.

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/flight-connections/terminal-1-republic-of-ireland-connecting-to-terminal-3-international

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Are you on a single itinerary or have you purchased separate tickets? With whom are you flying? I ask as you refer to collecting your bags; if it's a through ticket or the relevant airlines have an interline agreement, I would expect you to be able to check your bags through at Dublin and collect in Shanghai. Terminal 1 and T3 are connected via an underground walkway (also used to access the tube station). As a result, if you have no mobility issues, it's an easy connect between the two not requiring use of "Flight Connections".

If your bags can be checked through and you have no mobility issues, your connection time should be fine provided your inbound flight is on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cosher10

Hi folks thanks for the replies. The ticket was bought through Expedia so the flight is aer lingus to heathrow then virgin to Shanghai all on one booking So I'm hoping our bags will go straight to next flight. No mobility problems and I have a turn of pace if needed :). I really can't afford to miss the flight so I would like to be as prepared as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

2 hours should be plenty. I wouldn't be worried about it, bag should be put through so just a case of getting yourself over there.

cosher10 wrote: »
    Hi folks thanks for the replies. The ticket was bought through Expedia so the flight is aer lingus to heathrow then virgin to Shanghai all on one booking So I'm hoping our bags will go straight to next flight. No mobility problems and I have a turn of pace if needed :). I really can't afford to miss the flight so I would like to be as prepared as possible.

Per the Aer Lingus website, they have an interline agreement with Virgin Atlantic so you should ensure when checking in at Dublin Airport that tge bags are checked through. When you arrive at Heathrow, take either the escalator in front of the arrivals exit or the lift to the tight thereof and toodle along the underground walkway (part travelator) to T3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If your bags are through checked, Aer Lingus run a bus which collects you from the rear of the plane and brings you directly to flight connections where you get the bus to T3.

This should be faster than walking the miles of tubes around T1

This is the recommended routing http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/flight-connections/terminal-1-republic-of-ireland-connecting-to-terminal-3-international

You might even get the Virgin boarding card in Dublin

If your bags are through checked, Aer Lingus run a bus which collects you from the rear of the plane and brings you directly to flight connections where you get the bus to T3.

This should be faster than walking the miles of tubes around T1

This is the recommended routing http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/flight-connections/terminal-1-republic-of-ireland-connecting-to-terminal-3-international

You might even get the Virgin boarding card in Dublin

My experience of that (including that of others) is that it can become a nightmare. The bus brings you to T1 flight connections where you get a short check then get another bus to T3. The distance between those terminals is not bad landslide and the flight connections route is not always the best. It's often the best route for a T4 or T5 connection although the connecting passengers often get dumped in an understaffed security area denuding any advantage.

Advertisement