Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Player Eligibility in the Irish Context

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Good read. Well done to DannyInvincible for putting the time in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The author's partisanship is palpable throughout the piece, but otherwise an interesting article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Of course it's partisan.
    It's a blatant and powerful defence of the right of Irish nationals to play for an Irish national sports team in the face of aggressive opposition from the IFA and its fans.

In no way should partisanship detract from that principle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

DoireNod wrote: »
    Of course it's partisan.
    It's a blatant and powerful defence of the right of Irish nationals to play for an Irish national sports team in the face of aggressive opposition from the IFA and its fans.

In no way should partisanship detract from that principle.

As long as the players involved exercise that right at an early stage, and not after they have played a senior international friendly for NI, I don't mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

As long as the players involved exercise that right at an early stage, and not after they have played a senior international friendly for NI, I don't mind.
    I see where you're coming from. I wouldn't mind that if that was in the rules of FIFA, but it isn't so you'll have to accept that a few may do so. Like Alex Bruce has recently done by switching from ROI to NI. Nice move by Nigel Worthington to undermine the alleged integrity of those NI fans. First he says he wants all players in the north of Ireland to stay with the north of Ireland and next he 'steals' another ROI player (including Johnny Gorman) who has a few senior caps. It would make a great play.

• Advertisement
Advertisement