Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

private messaging clients

Options
  • 19-11-2002 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking into private messaging clients for a website?

Any advice on good ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Do you mean like MSN messenger, yahoo and those likes ?

If so goto there site :)

Although its not a easy market to get into and it will be pretty hard to offer something new that the others dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TrickyKid

I was thinking along those lines all right, but for about 100 people rather then a million.

It's just a part time project I'm involved in, and while we like the discussion board, we were wondering how to step it up into including a private chat client.

I mean boards has a "send pm" thing, apple have made "rendez vous" and I know there have been moves force aol aim and msn to be able to 'see' each other.

Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

I know IBM have an app called SameTime used only for in house purposes, might contact them if you need more info

paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by TrickyKid
    I was thinking along those lines all right, but for about 100 people rather then a million.

Any thoughts?

Have a look at Jabber

Ahh a private msg option on a forum and a actual program are totally different. If its for a forum it would be quite easy to install is that what your talking about ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TrickyKid

we've got a small database of people, who are the users of the site. We were wondering how possible it would be to have *our own* user name based pm ring rather then having to all use MSN or something like that.

We use our usernames for aspacts of the site other then messageboards, so it isn't like we can just get the latest vbulletin release.

Well first off find yourself a host / server for this little endever as you will need something for all of them to connect to. Sounds like a huge amount of work for such a tiny need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 seating

how about an email list ? or get a private board here ?

Advertisement