Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 HIV statistics released by the HSE

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,102 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Locker10a wrote: »
    Chill out man! And yes I do think my experience for my generation is more widespread actually!! Certainly for today's generation and going forward perhaps in the past No! But I just don't believe that people my age in Ireland know less about sex than anyone of the same generation my age in America or the UK

Thats the thing. I'm just not sure it is that widespread.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jimdublin15

To be honest my perception would be that we as a nation have a quailty issue when looking at sex education that the quality still varies from school to school too much.

I think a set general curriculum of sex education is needed for all schools delivered by teachers trained to do so including some basic knowledge of STI's.

Putting my parent hat on for the moment as much as I think my kids school is the very best I do not trust them at currently to provide correct sex education.

I've met too many 18 - 25 year olds who know too little about the topic for me to believe the current program is working, looking at the HIV and also other STI statistics it would seem to also back-up the thinking that current sex education programs are below standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It really needs to be a proper course taught with an actual curriculum.

The issue comes up where you've a particularly conservative teacher or principal because it is actually against the ethos of the church to use artificial contraception and homosexual sex is still a major taboo for some of them.

You will get individual enlightened teachers and schools who may provide appropriate and useful information, but those who opt not to can still very much hide behind the institution's ethos and the state's protection of that position.

That's why I think Ireland needs a public campaign as realistically, you cannot rely on this being delivered through the schools in a reliable way.

I'd rather see it delivered by HSE staff than teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

St. James's hospital have now said that all blood samples they collect in the A&E department will be tested for HIV, Hep B and Hep C as standard. I think that's great news and I hope other hospitals follow suit. One of the issues at present is the fact that many people are being initially diagnosed at quite a late stage, hopefully this scheme can help reduce this as early diagnosis gives the best outcome

Irish Times

Also, good article in the Sunday Independent that is worth a read.

Sunday Independent

That Indo interview with Bill Hughes is very powerful! Imagine having a photo
    on your wall of yourself and seven of your friends taken back in the 80s and you are the only survivor of the eight!!:(
    It is interesting that his approaches to RTE to do a programme highlighting the problem of HIV/AIDS have been rebuffed. I heard a very high profile spokesperson of the gay community announce during the week that he is HIV+. No resultant conversations of the subject in the media! :( it would have been a perfect springboard for them, imho. Yet, when Leo Varadkar broke the news he was gay, we were inundated with articles about it when it really was nobody's business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

nozipcode wrote: »
    I agree. We've taken the eye off the ball.

But why such a sharp year-on-year increase wrt MSM? I am expecting the response 'Brazillians'. I am not saying this is the case. However the OP stats/report did refer to Latino guys.

>>>48% of the MSM category were born in Ireland (The next highest ethnic group is Latin America at 21%)

If our Latino gay brethren/foreign students/whatever are impacting transmission rates, what can be done to send the message to that group? I would say Irish based awareness campaigns have very little impact on this group?

Is that not about proportional though? Going by grindr and other gay dating sites it certainly feels like about 1 in 5 gay men in Ireland are brazilian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

In the US, they have realised that the current strategy for HIV prevention is failing. New HIV infection rates are static in the US for the last 15 years. Condom use has fallen slightly, but not alarmingly considering if you got HIV in 2001, you were going to have significantly shorter life than contracting HIV in 2015. Considering how great the Meds are now in 2015.

In the US, they are pushing for at risk to use PrEP aka truvada. They have realised you can tell everyone to use Condoms, but some simply wont use them. Also condoms have the risk of failing. Studies have shown Truvada is 92% effective against HIV. But tons of Doctors in NYC and SF, who have hundreds of gay patients between. Havent had a single case of HIV from people on Truvada. Even though in places like NYC and SF, you expect a fair amount of gay men to contract HIV each year. Truvada has stopped them from getting HIV. They also have to be screened for HIV and other STIs every 3 months. In studies they havent noticed more risky behaviour eg less condom use or an increase in sexual partners. Truvada looks like a great approach to dealing with HIV in 2015.

I asked in the GMHS about Truvada or PrEP becoming available soon here. The doctor couldnt even tell the difference between PEP or PrEP. Truvada is extremely expensive. But the patent will expire in a few years in the EU, meaning the cost of it will fall hugely. It doesnt appear like the HSE is considering to introduce here. When it could actually make a difference to the amount of HIV infections here.

The HSE strategy on HIV is a bit weak. Having STI testing for gay men 2 nights a week in a city with a metro population of 1.8 million is disgraceful. My first trip to the GMHS took me 4 hours. I was told you get screened every 6 months(they tell you in the US, you should get screened every 3 months). There is also James, where you have to basically get a day off work to get screened for STI.

Telling people you should get tested for STI is great. But not having faculties in place, makes it futile. There is no reason why STI testing should be limited to certain days of the week or take a day waiting in James. There is no good reason why it costs you to get it done in your university (€60 in UCD AFAIK). There is no good reason, why it takes so long to get results.

If we treated cancer services like we treated HIV services. There would be outrage. There needs to be something done about it

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

Thats the thing. I'm just not sure it is that widespread.

Longtime lurker here, but want to give you one experience of sex education that occurred only one year ago (I'm still angry...)
    My then 12 year old son was in 6th class - typical rural catholic primary school, no choice for us. The sex ed talk was a big event, in the evening with parents present - kids in the front rows, parents at the back. Didn't realize until we got there that the speaker was from some catholic agency, and it was horrific. First half hour spent on basic biology, and the biology of intercourse - all presented as it would (and should) have been in a science class. A bit late to be talking about periods at age 12 but anyway... Finally onto sex. Ideally only within marriage, STDs used as a fear tactic, not a word about homosexuality, nothing about how to know when you're ready - oh, of course after marriage.

Ireland 2014.
    (spent the drive home undoing the damage)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

newacc2015 wrote: »
    In the US, they have realised that the current strategy for HIV prevention is failing. New HIV infection rates are static in the US for the last 15 years. Condom use has fallen slightly, but not alarmingly considering if you got HIV in 2001, you were going to have significantly shorter life than contracting HIV in 2015. Considering how great the Meds are now in 2015.

In the US, they are pushing for at risk to use PrEP aka truvada. They have realised you can tell everyone to use Condoms, but some simply wont use them. Also condoms have the risk of failing. Studies have shown Truvada is 92% effective against HIV. But tons of Doctors in NYC and SF, who have hundreds of gay patients between. Havent had a single case of HIV from people on Truvada. Even though in places like NYC and SF, you expect a fair amount of gay men to contract HIV each year. Truvada has stopped them from getting HIV. They also have to be screened for HIV and other STIs every 3 months. In studies they havent noticed more risky behaviour eg less condom use or an increase in sexual partners. Truvada looks like a great approach to dealing with HIV in 2015.

I asked in the GMHS about Truvada or PrEP becoming available soon here. The doctor couldnt even tell the difference between PEP or PrEP. Truvada is extremely expensive. But the patent will expire in a few years in the EU, meaning the cost of it will fall hugely. It doesnt appear like the HSE is considering to introduce here. When it could actually make a difference to the amount of HIV infections here.

The HSE strategy on HIV is a bit weak. Having STI testing for gay men 2 nights a week in a city with a metro population of 1.8 million is disgraceful. My first trip to the GMHS took me 4 hours. I was told you get screened every 6 months(they tell you in the US, you should get screened every 3 months). There is also James, where you have to basically get a day off work to get screened for STI.

Telling people you should get tested for STI is great. But not having faculties in place, makes it futile. There is no reason why STI testing should be limited to certain days of the week or take a day waiting in James. There is no good reason why it costs you to get it done in your university (€60 in UCD AFAIK). There is no good reason, why it takes so long to get results.

If we treated cancer services like we treated HIV services. There would be outrage. There needs to be something done about it

I guess unfortunately it's not seen as a big enough issue to treat it properly :( some day maybe things will change ! We can only hope !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The HSE hasn't exactly been a shining beacon of medical system competence in any area though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement