Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebuilding my web design skills and portfolio

Options
  • 23-02-2011 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I've recently been looking into getting into web design. I completed a degree in Multimedia a few years ago, however, I've neglected my web skills to pursue other areas. That said, my interest in the field has remained since then and I was thinking of building myself up to a level where I could do freelance work or maybe even work in it full time.

While I am probably at an intermediate level with HTML, CSS and in using the Adobe Creative suite, I'm a little bit rusty, though am trying to catch up by self teaching.

However, I'm a bit lost on where to start building up a professional portfolio of good web design work. I'm aware of the issues around doing work for free, but as I don't have anything web design related right now for the portfolio, I'm also aware that I'm not going to get hired based on nothing. What would be the best way to go around this?

Should I build websites based on my own concepts (ie designing an ecommerce website but clearly marking on the portfolio that's it's just a sample of what I can do and not actual work for someone) or approach clubs/charities to do work for free? First option might be best for me to get started, but I don't know if it'd look good on a portfolio.

Also, in designing a new web portfolio I'm not sure how much I should diversify. I've built up a lot of work with video and audio projects along with articles I've written on a freelance basis. While I'd love to show that these are skills I have, if I'm trying to sell myself as a web designer, I'm not sure if these projects be relevant or if they could just be a distraction.

Any advice anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

This is more of an observation. But I would have thought that any experiences and qualifications you have to augment your IT skill set will set you apart from the crowd. Why be a web designer when you can be a web designer with special skills in multimedia?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Keller Bear

Hi trizzles,

I know where you are coming from. The idea of doing work to build up your portfolio but clients only want to see your past work to offer you their potential job...catch 22!

I have been offering my services to many local clubs, institutes and companies knowing that I have a fairly low conversion rate but even if it gets people talking that I can do this type of design well I might figure to get some people within these circles offering something in the future - sort of a referral.

To be honest I have a lot of people plugging me and keeping me in mind when talking to people, so I recommend telling people that you know well and hopefully they will pass on the word and listen for opportunities, you would be surprised how much debt you will be to your friend of a friend!

You might try adding yourself to FreelanceSwitch. People upload jobs in various creative fields and for think $7 a month you can reply to these, although registering is free. But from experience many of these potential employers seek some past example of work.

I recommend freelancer.com. I tried it this month and I have been getting some odd jobs off it, ideal to get you going. It is essentially an ebay type website were people bid on how much they would charge and how many days it would take to complete. You can tailor your search to match your skill set but make sure you read all the info about bidding, payments and commission. It is free, but for free users there is a higher commission rate than for premium members. Like most things I reckon there are scammers so just be a bit wary when bidding (note if you do get a bid accepted, full commission is taken straight away so leaving you with a negative balance, so make sure to set up a deal with the employer to give you a percentage up front to cover this and more.)

A little advice that I stick to is "Fake it until to Make it." It is all about confidence, you are selling yourself as much as you are selling a design and sometimes the former can be all you need. However, I would say having some "fabricated" examples of your own work early on is a good back up to show any employer in the immediate future. Hopefully these examples of your potential and you yourself will be more than enough.

Hope it goes well for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 trizzles

Fanny Cradock - That's what I was thinking myself, but I wasn't certain if having several sections on my online portfolio would make me look flighty or unfocused. I suppose I can just market it towards communicating that I'm a web designer with other multimedia skills. Thanks!

Keller Bear - Thanks a million for the advice and the resources! Yeah, I've been reading up on the debate around how companies expect good, experienced designers to do work for free, which is unfair. However, as a newbie I think that initially, I probably won't be paid for my first site as I don't have prior experience. But I didn't want to be helping to perpetuate this practice of demanding free labour and, as you said, it's Catch 22.

I think initially, I may practice some more with building up my skills, then could ask around my friends and family or a charity to see if they need anything done. Then from there, look for freelance work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

trizzles wrote: »
    Fanny Cradock - That's what I was thinking myself, but I wasn't certain if having several sections on my online portfolio would make me look flighty or unfocused. I suppose I can just market it towards communicating that I'm a web designer with other multimedia skills. Thanks!

I'm looking to enter the industry myself and I figure that web designers are 10 a penny. I think that you should definitely highlight any skills that separate you from the crowd. Emphasising the fact that you have knowledge beyond web design might just be the type of thing to impress potential employers and justify any premium services you might offer clients.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 LICS

Hi Trizzles I am in a similar position. I was doing web design within a multinational company 5 years ago. Then I got moved away from that, then made redundant and now I am using the redundancy as an opportunity to get back to what I liked doing best. You need to build up a client base. Work for free/volunteer. Ask around friends/relatives 'Do you know anyone who needs a website?' Every shop you go into. Get a simple business card made. I set up my own company as a sole trader (1 year old tomorrow) so I can work/build up my skillset and get paid (something). This way I have learned lots of new skills in the past year.

Good Luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I'm looking to enter the industry myself and I figure that web designers are 10 a penny. I think that you should definitely highlight any skills that separate you from the crowd. Emphasising the fact that you have knowledge beyond web design might just be the type of thing to impress potential employers and justify any premium services you might offer clients.

Self-titled web designers are ten a penny, good web designers aren't - a good web designer is someone with both design and technical skills so if you have both of these you're ahead of 90% of your competition.

There's a misconception that all it takes to be a web designer is the ability to code html and css or set up a CMS and a database, with no need for design skills. That's really not the case. You'll struggle to get a start in, or get ahead in, the field without an understanding of design or an ability to design.

If you don't have a natural flair for design, or don't have some sort of formal qualification in design, you're at a disadvantage in a very competitive field, and no amount of poorly designed portfolio sites are going to compensate for that.

Emphasising special skills is good advice, if you don't have any acquire them - skillsets like accessibility or usability aren't massively difficult to acquire so try that angle, but only after you're confident in both your technical and design capabilities.

Advertisement