Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 HIV statistics released by the HSE

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jimdublin15

I presume he means for the health service.

Yeah, sorry indeed I mean the increased testing cost to the HSE to clarify.

Is there evidence that the scare tactics resulted in a reduction in testing?

Okay I answered but you made me think about this point.
    So I think the scare and shock/fear campaigns cause denial and reduce testing, that what i think and I thought about it some more and starting reading up on the topic. I do still believe the same, it was useful back in the day but the scare and fear campaigns are no longer effective.

Still I do thank you for making me think about it, and I mean that.

Seems very little evidence either way for modern day effect of shock/fear campaigns except for some items that mention it in passing so I did want to highlight the below, call it food for thought.

http://www.aidsmap.com/More-on-programmes-using-threat/page/1768332/
    There has been little research on whether threats work in HIV-prevention messages.
    What studies have been done show that people are aroused emotionally by fearful images and remember the advertisements more, but the evidence on efficacy is contradictory. In some cases there is evidence that an awareness campaign using a frightening image was followed by an increase in risk behaviour. One such was an Australian campaign featuring AIDS as the Grim Reaper.

http://caps.ucsf.edu/archives/factsheets/stigma
    HIV testing. Fear of negative social consequences of a positive HIV test result can deter some persons from getting tested. A study of men and women in seven cities in the US found that stigma was associated with a decreased likelihood of being tested for HIV. People who are HIV+ but haven’t tested and don’t know they are HIV+ are less likely to try to prevent transmitting HIV to others.
    Safer behaviors. Some HIV+ persons may fear that disclosing their HIV status or using condoms may bring partner rejection, limit sexual opportunities or increase risk for physical and sexual violence. A study of rural men who have sex with men (MSM), found that men who thought health care providers in their community were intolerant of HIV+ persons, also reported more high-risk sexual behaviors.

http://www.aidsmap.com/BHIVA-Fear-of-stigma-and-discrimination-prevent-Africans-from-testing-for-HIV-in-the-UK/page/1423468/
    BHIVA: Fear of stigma and discrimination prevent Africans from testing for HIV in the UK
    Fear of stigma and discrimination are preventing Africans in the United Kingdom from testing for HIV, according to a qualitative study presented to the Twelfth Annual
    Conference of the British HIV Association in Brighton on March 30st. Although investigators found that a high proportion of individuals participating in the
    study were willing to undergo anonymous oral HIV testing, they also established that almost half of all individuals had never had an HIV test, and that a significant number of
    individuals participating in the study had undiagnosed HIV infection.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/docs/HIVFactSheets/Challenges-508.pdf
    Some are concerned that other people will find out that they have tested positive (or that they sought testing at
    all), although testing is completely confidential.
    Some may avoid testing simply because they are afraid their test will be positive.

http://www.sigmaresearch.org.uk/files/MiC-briefing-1-Fear.pdf
    “Inducing fear is not an effective way to promote previous HIV relevant learning or condom use either immediately following the intervention or later on.
    However, HIV counselling and testing can provide an outlet for previous HIV-related anxiety and,subsequently, gains in both knowledge and behaviour
    change immediately and longitudinally.” (Earl & Albarracin 2007

http://www.sigmaresearch.org.uk/files/MiC-briefing-1-Fear.pdf
    Key 5 points: THE ROLE OF FEAR IN HIV PREVENTION:
    Fear arousing imagery can be good at attracting
    attention and is often memorable.
    • Fear-based campaigns are more persuasive for
    individuals who are already engaging in the desired,
    health-protective, behaviour.
    • Arousing fear in individuals can have many unintended
    consequences, such as denial or othering.
    • Most homosexually active men are already fearful
    of HIV.
    • Arousing fear is not an effective means of facilitating
    sexual behaviour change.

http://www.aidsmap.com/Facilitators-and-barriers-to-testing/page/2821913/
    The stigma associated with HIV infection is identified as a barrier to testing in all populations, but especially so in black African communities. People fear exclusion and social isolation as consequences of being diagnosed with HIV. Many people associate HIV with promiscuity or unfaithfulness, and see themselves as being at very low risk of infection
    While many people test in order to eliminate the uncertainty of not knowing their HIV status, others may respond to uncertainty with denial – for example, through assessing their own behaviours in a way that minimises the possibility of an HIV-positive status. Individuals may fear that discovery of an HIV-positive status would mean facing difficult decisions and responsibilities, especially in relation to sexual partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

While testing is very important, general education about HIV is too. Most people have no idea what behaviours do and (just as important) don't transmit HIV.

Aard wrote: »
    While testing is very important, general education about HIV is too. Most people have no idea what behaviours do and (just as important) don't transmit HIV.

Absolutely fully agree with that, this really needs to be addressed to be effective, testing only to identify those living unknowingly with HIV is not a solution in itself. Educating them and the rest of the population on the prevention of HIV spread and what are the risk behaviors combined is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I think transition year in schools is a good time to educate people. Most people start becoming sexually active around that time. Also they won't have developed any "bad habits" (to put it mildly) by then – having unsafe sex, risky behaviour etc.

• Advertisement

I think transition year in schools is a good time to educate people. Most people start becoming sexually active around that time. Also they won't have developed any "bad habits" (to put it mildly) by then – having unsafe sex, risky behaviour etc.

Yeah, would catch them early so to speak. I agree and think It's a good idea, i'm just wondering if it was done via the schools how open the schools/collages would be to including better or more detailed material on risk behaviors.

Just thinking back to some different STI campaigns that stood out for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_the_Sperm
    Was a game in 2001 and I think 18 millions players used it. Something like this relaunched and tailored for Ireland on Smartphones and Tablets perhaps.

http://www.actupparis.org/article3206.html
    In France 2007 bicycle saddles were covered with an important message. "And you, what do you do to protect yourself?" Could be a novel idea given the increasing number of cyclists. Dublin has the rent city bikes if I'm not mistaken could do it to them.

https://npin.cdc.gov/stdawareness/gyt-materials/Flyers/GYT_ReallyFlyerBW_8.5x11.pdf

This type of posters (tailored to Ireland) combined with free testing days perhaps at GP levels to reach wider audience Instead of just the clinics, MSM Clinics and GUM/STI clinic's.

More information on what to do if your exposed, and what exposures carry risks should also be part of the education package - Post exposure prophylaxis (PEP) It halt's and reduces the chance of HIV development in the first 72 hours after exposure. So in situations like unprotected sex or the condom broke, or they were accidentally stabbed with an HIV-infected needle how to get PEP and that it's available (I suspect many don't know about PEP)

However I think funding for any plan or idea would be an issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I am often told: "I got my bloods done when I was last in hospital, and nothing was mentioned" Sadly what people do not realize is HIV is not included in the standard test panel, yet people think that because a hospital took bloods and said nothing they are HIV Negative .... This is a real danger... It's simply not the case that they have been tested for HIV and to be honest I for one think by default the answer should be that it should be included in testing for all patients

St. James's hospital have now said that all blood samples they collect in the A&E department will be tested for HIV, Hep B and Hep C as standard. I think that's great news and I hope other hospitals follow suit. One of the issues at present is the fact that many people are being initially diagnosed at quite a late stage, hopefully this scheme can help reduce this as early diagnosis gives the best outcome

Irish Times

Also, good article in the Sunday Independent that is worth a read.

Sunday Independent

St. James's hospital have now said that all blood samples they collect in the A&E department will be tested for HIV, Hep B and Hep C as standard. I think that's great news and I hope other hospitals follow suit. One of the issues at present is the fact that many people are being initially diagnosed at quite a late stage, hopefully this scheme can help reduce this as early diagnosis gives the best outcome

Irish Times

Sunday Independent

Indeed this is a really good development and hopefully more Hospitals will take up similar policy

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nozipcode

It's funny 5-10 years ago I think it was the complete opposite. Gay men were made much more aware of safer sex practices etc.

I agree. We've taken the eye off the ball.

But why such a sharp year-on-year increase wrt MSM? I am expecting the response 'Brazillians'. I am not saying this is the case. However the OP stats/report did refer to Latino guys.

>>>48% of the MSM category were born in Ireland (The next highest ethnic group is Latin America at 21%)

If our Latino gay brethren/foreign students/whatever are impacting transmission rates, what can be done to send the message to that group? I would say Irish based awareness campaigns have very little impact on this group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

This tends to be where you'll impact with the fact that 93% of Irish schools are Catholic & 98% are religious.

Sex education here is still a huge difficulty.

I went to school in the 1990s / early 00s and our sex ed class taught the abstinence and the rhythm method as contraception techniques. They didn't mention condoms and gave a few horror stories about STIs.

Zero advice on what to do if you thought you could have picked something up. No info on clinics, no info on testing.

They also mention homosexuality in this kind of very awkward "less said about that the better" kind of way.

That's as much sex ed as we got and several extreme parents withdrew their sons from the class as it was "filth".

I hope things have improved but I have my doubts!

For people on their 20s, 30s and older here - they've had vastly less sex ed than most western countries and anything they've learnt has been picked up outside of educational establishments.

That's why public campaigns in Ireland are extremely important.

It's unfortunate to have to say it, but from a sex ed perspective, Ireland is probably in line with the developing world and Middle East.

That's not because of 2015 Irish public opinion either, it's because of the highly unusual situation of not really having a public school system.

All of our schools are outsourced and close to 98% of those are to religious organisations.

Any rollout of education on safe sex will result in dealing with the most unrepresentative and conservative aspects of Irish society - nuns, priests, various conservative catholic groups the likes of whom we encountered in the marriage equality referendum etc etc

Not to go on a rant about the place, but it is a massive barrier to communication on safe sex. If this were France, Germany or even the U.S., it wouldn't be a major issue at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

SpaceTime wrote: »
    This tends to be where you'll impact with the fact that 93% of Irish schools are Catholic & 98% are religious.

Sex education here is still a huge difficulty.

I went to school in the 1990s / early 00s and our sex ed class taught the abstinence and the rhythm method as contraception techniques. They didn't mention condoms and gave a few horror stories about STIs.

Zero advice on what to do if you thought you could have picked something up. No info on clinics, no info on testing.

They also mention homosexuality in this kind of very awkward "less said about that the better" kind of way.

That's as much sex ed as we got and several extreme parents withdrew their sons from the class as it was "filth".

I hope things have improved but I have my doubts!

For people on their 20s, 30s and older here - they've had vastly less sex ed than most western countries and anything they've learnt has been picked up outside of educational establishments.

That's why public campaigns in Ireland are extremely important.

It's unfortunate to have to say it, but from a sex ed perspective, Ireland is probably in line with the developing world and Middle East.

That's not because of 2015 Irish public opinion either, it's because of the highly unusual situation of not really having a public school system.

All of our schools are outsourced and close to 98% of those are to religious organisations.

Any rollout of education on safe sex will result in dealing with the most unrepresentative and conservative aspects of Irish society - nuns, priests, various conservative catholic groups the likes of whom we encountered in the marriage equality referendum etc etc

Not to go on a rant about the place, but it is a massive barrier to communication on safe sex. If this were France, Germany or even the U.S., it wouldn't be a major issue at all.

Just my personal experience here and I know I've said this before but I had an excellent sexual health education all throughout my school years and I went to Irish catholic schools! It's unfair to tar all Irish schools with the same brush! It's the 21st century and Irish schools and Irish teachers are not the same as they were 20, even 10 years ago Catholic or not I think sex ed in Irish schools is great it was in my experience anyway!

Locker10a wrote: »
    Just my personal experience here and I know I've said this before but I had an excellent sexual health education all throughout my school years and I went to Irish catholic schools! It's unfair to tar all Irish schools with the same brush! It's the 21st century and Irish schools and Irish teachers are not the same as they were 20, even 10 years ago Catholic or not I think sex ed in Irish schools is great it was in my experience anyway!

Well, while some of the student population are getting stuff like this :

http://www.thejournal.ie/sex-education-sellotape-1310906-Feb2014/

I think I will tar the "system" (or lack there of) with the most appropriate brush!

What I'm saying is that a very large % of Irish sexually active adults in their 20s/30s and older had zero sex education and that is why the HSE cannot assume it was provided at school or rely on it to be provided at school (because of ethos of a lot of schools, yours may well be an exception).

It needs to be a public health campaign with actual public communication.

You have to make an assumption that a significant % of Irish people have had zero sex ex.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yea but how representative is your experience generally?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Well, while some of the student population are getting stuff like this :

http://www.thejournal.ie/sex-education-sellotape-1310906-Feb2014/

I think I will tar the "system" (or lack there of) with the most appropriate brush!

What I'm saying is that a very large % of Irish sexually active adults in their 20s/30s and older had zero sex education and that is why the HSE cannot assume it was provided at school or rely on it to be provided at school (because of ethos of a lot of schools, yours may well be an exception).

It needs to be a public health campaign with actual public communication.

You have to make an assumption that a significant % of Irish people have had zero sex ex.

Your article while shocking to read is still not representative of the Irish secondary School science, Home ec and SPHE teachers who actually teach sex ed in our schools! They are in my experience competent and intelligent and do an excellent job in this field! And most* are no more concerned with the teachings of the church than you or I ! Things will only improve as the teaching generation gets younger and education in this field improves

Yea but how representative is your experience generally?

The issue is historical too. Many of us oddly enough remain sexually active beyond 21!

It's a shocking fact (you may need to brace yourself for it) but some people have been known to still be dating in their 30s! :)

It's just that it worries me that a very significant % of sexually active Irish people may not have had anything approaching the levels of information they would have been common place in say The Netherlands or even US in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s etc

Even if things have improved somewhat in some (and I seriously doubt all) schools, there are a hell of a lot of people who will have had no information or sex ed classes.

It's that level of lack of knowledge that needs to be addressed through public campaigns aimed at 18 to 40+ audiences who may be taking unnecessary risks.

Your article while shocking to read is still not representative of the Irish secondary School science, Home ec and SPHE teachers who actually teach sex ed in our schools! They are in my experience competent and intelligent and do an excellent job in this field! And most* are no more concerned with the teachings of the church than you or I ! Things will only improve as the teaching generation gets younger and education in this field improves

I would really be interested to know how representative your experience is really.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I would really be interested to know how representative your experience is really.

Ehh but you get my point! Which is that people in charge of teaching this to students are not Catholic bishops from the 50's ! They are ordinary people like you and I! Teachers are ordinary people aware of modern life especially for teens who they work with ! That's my whole point it's very very different to when my mum went to school and was taught by nuns!

Ehh but you get my point! Which is that people in charge of teaching this to students are not Catholic bishops from the 50's ! They are ordinary people like you and I! Teachers are ordinary people aware of modern life especially for teens who they work with ! That's my whole point it's very very different to when my mum went to school and was taught by nuns!

I wasn't taught by nuns and I wasn't in school here THAT long ago either. We had basically no sex ed.

And that nonsense with the sellotape and the religious stuff being taught as "sex ed" by that Pure in Heart crowd was going on in 2014.

It very much depends on the school and there's no 'standard' in Ireland as the schools are all privately run and there's no syllabus on sex ed.

No. I don't actually. Yes you had good sex ed but realistically is your experience that widespread?

Terry Pratchet

No. I don't actually. Yes you had good sex ed but realistically is your experience that widespread?

Chill out man! And yes I do think my experience for my generation is more widespread actually!! Certainly for today's generation and going forward perhaps in the past No! But I just don't believe that people my age in Ireland know less about sex than anyone of the same generation my age in America or the UK

• Advertisement

Chill out man! And yes I do think my experience for my generation is more widespread actually!! Certainly for today's generation and going forward perhaps in the past No! But I just don't believe that people my age in Ireland know less about sex than anyone of the same generation my age in America or the UK

Thats the thing. I'm just not sure it is that widespread.

Terry Pratchet

To be honest my perception would be that we as a nation have a quailty issue when looking at sex education that the quality still varies from school to school too much.

I think a set general curriculum of sex education is needed for all schools delivered by teachers trained to do so including some basic knowledge of STI's.

Putting my parent hat on for the moment as much as I think my kids school is the very best I do not trust them at currently to provide correct sex education.

I've met too many 18 - 25 year olds who know too little about the topic for me to believe the current program is working, looking at the HIV and also other STI statistics it would seem to also back-up the thinking that current sex education programs are below standards.

It really needs to be a proper course taught with an actual curriculum.

The issue comes up where you've a particularly conservative teacher or principal because it is actually against the ethos of the church to use artificial contraception and homosexual sex is still a major taboo for some of them.

You will get individual enlightened teachers and schools who may provide appropriate and useful information, but those who opt not to can still very much hide behind the institution's ethos and the state's protection of that position.

That's why I think Ireland needs a public campaign as realistically, you cannot rely on this being delivered through the schools in a reliable way.

I'd rather see it delivered by HSE staff than teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Irish Times

Sunday Independent

That Indo interview with Bill Hughes is very powerful! Imagine having a photo
    on your wall of yourself and seven of your friends taken back in the 80s and you are the only survivor of the eight!!:(
    It is interesting that his approaches to RTE to do a programme highlighting the problem of HIV/AIDS have been rebuffed. I heard a very high profile spokesperson of the gay community announce during the week that he is HIV+. No resultant conversations of the subject in the media! :( it would have been a perfect springboard for them, imho. Yet, when Leo Varadkar broke the news he was gay, we were inundated with articles about it when it really was nobody's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

nozipcode wrote: »
    I agree. We've taken the eye off the ball.

But why such a sharp year-on-year increase wrt MSM? I am expecting the response 'Brazillians'. I am not saying this is the case. However the OP stats/report did refer to Latino guys.

>>>48% of the MSM category were born in Ireland (The next highest ethnic group is Latin America at 21%)

If our Latino gay brethren/foreign students/whatever are impacting transmission rates, what can be done to send the message to that group? I would say Irish based awareness campaigns have very little impact on this group?

Is that not about proportional though? Going by grindr and other gay dating sites it certainly feels like about 1 in 5 gay men in Ireland are brazilian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

In the US, they have realised that the current strategy for HIV prevention is failing. New HIV infection rates are static in the US for the last 15 years. Condom use has fallen slightly, but not alarmingly considering if you got HIV in 2001, you were going to have significantly shorter life than contracting HIV in 2015. Considering how great the Meds are now in 2015.

In the US, they are pushing for at risk to use PrEP aka truvada. They have realised you can tell everyone to use Condoms, but some simply wont use them. Also condoms have the risk of failing. Studies have shown Truvada is 92% effective against HIV. But tons of Doctors in NYC and SF, who have hundreds of gay patients between. Havent had a single case of HIV from people on Truvada. Even though in places like NYC and SF, you expect a fair amount of gay men to contract HIV each year. Truvada has stopped them from getting HIV. They also have to be screened for HIV and other STIs every 3 months. In studies they havent noticed more risky behaviour eg less condom use or an increase in sexual partners. Truvada looks like a great approach to dealing with HIV in 2015.

I asked in the GMHS about Truvada or PrEP becoming available soon here. The doctor couldnt even tell the difference between PEP or PrEP. Truvada is extremely expensive. But the patent will expire in a few years in the EU, meaning the cost of it will fall hugely. It doesnt appear like the HSE is considering to introduce here. When it could actually make a difference to the amount of HIV infections here.

The HSE strategy on HIV is a bit weak. Having STI testing for gay men 2 nights a week in a city with a metro population of 1.8 million is disgraceful. My first trip to the GMHS took me 4 hours. I was told you get screened every 6 months(they tell you in the US, you should get screened every 3 months). There is also James, where you have to basically get a day off work to get screened for STI.

Telling people you should get tested for STI is great. But not having faculties in place, makes it futile. There is no reason why STI testing should be limited to certain days of the week or take a day waiting in James. There is no good reason why it costs you to get it done in your university (€60 in UCD AFAIK). There is no good reason, why it takes so long to get results.

If we treated cancer services like we treated HIV services. There would be outrage. There needs to be something done about it

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

Thats the thing. I'm just not sure it is that widespread.

Longtime lurker here, but want to give you one experience of sex education that occurred only one year ago (I'm still angry...)
    My then 12 year old son was in 6th class - typical rural catholic primary school, no choice for us. The sex ed talk was a big event, in the evening with parents present - kids in the front rows, parents at the back. Didn't realize until we got there that the speaker was from some catholic agency, and it was horrific. First half hour spent on basic biology, and the biology of intercourse - all presented as it would (and should) have been in a science class. A bit late to be talking about periods at age 12 but anyway... Finally onto sex. Ideally only within marriage, STDs used as a fear tactic, not a word about homosexuality, nothing about how to know when you're ready - oh, of course after marriage.

Ireland 2014.
    (spent the drive home undoing the damage)

newacc2015 wrote: »
    In the US, they have realised that the current strategy for HIV prevention is failing. New HIV infection rates are static in the US for the last 15 years. Condom use has fallen slightly, but not alarmingly considering if you got HIV in 2001, you were going to have significantly shorter life than contracting HIV in 2015. Considering how great the Meds are now in 2015.

In the US, they are pushing for at risk to use PrEP aka truvada. They have realised you can tell everyone to use Condoms, but some simply wont use them. Also condoms have the risk of failing. Studies have shown Truvada is 92% effective against HIV. But tons of Doctors in NYC and SF, who have hundreds of gay patients between. Havent had a single case of HIV from people on Truvada. Even though in places like NYC and SF, you expect a fair amount of gay men to contract HIV each year. Truvada has stopped them from getting HIV. They also have to be screened for HIV and other STIs every 3 months. In studies they havent noticed more risky behaviour eg less condom use or an increase in sexual partners. Truvada looks like a great approach to dealing with HIV in 2015.

I asked in the GMHS about Truvada or PrEP becoming available soon here. The doctor couldnt even tell the difference between PEP or PrEP. Truvada is extremely expensive. But the patent will expire in a few years in the EU, meaning the cost of it will fall hugely. It doesnt appear like the HSE is considering to introduce here. When it could actually make a difference to the amount of HIV infections here.

The HSE strategy on HIV is a bit weak. Having STI testing for gay men 2 nights a week in a city with a metro population of 1.8 million is disgraceful. My first trip to the GMHS took me 4 hours. I was told you get screened every 6 months(they tell you in the US, you should get screened every 3 months). There is also James, where you have to basically get a day off work to get screened for STI.

Telling people you should get tested for STI is great. But not having faculties in place, makes it futile. There is no reason why STI testing should be limited to certain days of the week or take a day waiting in James. There is no good reason why it costs you to get it done in your university (€60 in UCD AFAIK). There is no good reason, why it takes so long to get results.

If we treated cancer services like we treated HIV services. There would be outrage. There needs to be something done about it

I guess unfortunately it's not seen as a big enough issue to treat it properly :( some day maybe things will change ! We can only hope !

The HSE hasn't exactly been a shining beacon of medical system competence in any area though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement