Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how important is it to dryline a bathroom?

Options
  • 04-05-2014 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭

I am renovating the bathroom at the moment.....have the option of putting up a thin insulated board, probably 30 mm.

the room has approx. 2 metres of external wall that is north facing.

is it very high priority to insulate a wall like this, compared to say bedrooms, or is it less important given that you spend less time in a bathroom?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I am renovating the bathroom at the moment.....have the option of putting up a thin insulated board, probably 30 mm.

is it very high priority to insulate a wall like this, compared to say bedrooms, or is it less important given that you spend less time in a bathroom?

Many thanks.

Will you only use it in the summer?

Seriouly though if you have an uninsulated area heat will soak out through there from the rest of the warm house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Many thanks.

Id definitely do it .Having the bathroom as warm as toast after a shower or bath is nice , especially if its north facing you should notice a good difference in heating the room

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'd insulate the bathroom wall. A north facing uninsulated extenal wall is perfect for mould growth. The hot air in your house with naturally condensate on a cold north facing wall.
    Its well worth insulating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Not only would I insulate it, but I'd give it several coats of anti-mold paint as well - Ronseal do a 6-year paint I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

thanks folks, I only have room for a thin insulation board unfortunately.

does anyone know if insulation board comes with greenboard, the plasterboard that is normally used in bathrooms....

unfortunately anywhere that might stock it is closed today.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

thanks folks, I only have room for a thin insulation board unfortunately.

does anyone know if insulation board comes with greenboard, the plasterboard that is normally used in bathrooms....

unfortunately anywhere that might stock it is closed today.

Thanks again.

I dont think it does but what I usually do is get whatever thickness insulation sheet you can get away with , tack it on with a few mushroom fixings and then sheet over that with the moisture board and more fixings

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭chris445

If your going to completely tile the bathroom I would think about using WBP plywood instead of the green slabs. It means that next time the bathroom is getting done up you wont be pulling off half the drylining with the tiles.

Advertisement