Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I...

• 19-03-2013 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Robbed from the motors forum. Anyone interested in uploading some DIY pictures?

Over the weekend I started a Kitchen make over on a budget.

Standard enough 1990s era oak kitchen, moved in the house a couple of years ago and intended putting in a full new one but getting married has but that budget on hold.

Check out the cooker, I think it may be a collectable at this stage.

Before

Work complete so far.. Cabinets painted (F&B - Elephants Breath), some doors need to be finished. New Oak worktop which I am slowly oiling. New oven, hob and sink (not plumbed yet). Splashback tiles removed.

Half Finished

Another Half Finished

Now I just need to.. plumb the sink, put another 3-4 coats of oil on the worktop, put in the new splash back and new flooring.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Nice work there OP. When you say splashback do you mean completely tiled or just behind the sink and cooker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

My plan is to clad the wall all the way around and paint that. I am not sure about how durable it will be behind the hob and sink, I guess I will find out after a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You could paint the walls a nice bright funky colour and then install glass splashbacks.

Or just re-tile.

Dot know well wood cladding will be in a kitchen with regards heat and moisture??

paddy147 wrote: »
    You could paint the walls a nice bright funky colour and then install glass splashbacks.

Or just re-tile.

Dot know well wood cladding will be in a kitchen with regards heat and moisture??

That I am not sure. I had the idea to clad after seeing it in a kitchen magazine that came through the door one day. Worse case I can replace it with glass or tiles, the cladding itself is not expensive and easy to remove if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Have you seen the coloured glass splash backs? I installed one of these a while back and it turned out really well. Easy to install and very easy to keep clean, not cheap though!
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=coloured+glass+splashbacks&hl=en&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7x1KUdnBGuz07AbBuoCYCw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=356

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Done a very similar job a while back myself, yours looks great! (pic is when the job was 3/4's done)

jameshayes wrote: »
    Done a very similar job a while back myself, yours looks great! (pic is when the job was 3/4's done)

I think it was your pictures in an older thread(?) that gave me the idea to do mine. Nice job.

Did you sand the presses back? I just cleaned, roughed up with sand painter and used zinsser to prime them. I am half concerned they will chip.

Plumbed the sink tonight and put another coat of oil on the worktops, oiling them is the slowest part.

5T3PH3N wrote: »
    Have you seen the coloured glass splash backs? I installed one of these a while back and it turned out really well. Easy to install and very easy to keep clean, not cheap though!
    http://www.google.ie/search?q=coloured+glass+splashbacks&hl=en&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7x1KUdnBGuz07AbBuoCYCw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=356

Interesting, do you get them cut to size... And how did you fix it to the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Happyhunter

Did a fireplace for my father in law last weekend. Had been promised for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Did a fireplace for my father in law last weekend. Had been promised for a long time.

That cuppa sped things up:pac:
    Tasty stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Happyhunter

Ilik Urgee wrote: »

That cuppa sped things up:pac:
    Tasty stuff.
    Sure did. Started at 9am finished at 6pm and just had the base to grout the next morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Over the last few weeks I've been building meself a shed. Still a work in progress but most of the way there, just the floor, flashing and transport it to location and then I'm done :)
    Rear wall with panels attached.jpg

Front Frame with door frame.jpg

3 walls up with crossmembers.jpg

4 walls without roof or door.jpg

Roofed with door.jpg

Quick update on my kitchen. Almost finished now, one door to paint and hang and one wall left to clad.

Panorama image is a bit grainy in the dark.

What kind of stove is that? Not solid fuel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Stone work is very nice but the installation of the stove has 4 maybe 5 breeches of the building regs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

today I: started day 2 of putting in raised beds, angles are a bitch to do, starting them with a circular saw and finishing them by hand.

8613013381_ff35ddb7ce_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

jameshayes wrote: »

Amazing how brighter it makes it! I'll have to convince the wife we don't need a new kitchen!

DIY time of year again for me now. We have an area down the back of the garden which was used a a dumping ground for old wood, rubble etc.. since we moved in. Started by clearing it out:

306256.jpeg

After that I framed the old oil tank and boxed it in to hid it:

306257.jpeg

306258.jpeg

Next step was to build a raised deck area and flower beds.

306260.jpeg

306259.jpeg

Final step was to screw down the rest of the boards:

306261.jpeg

I still have to finish staining the top of the boards, all the underneaths were treated before putting them down. I have LED uplighters to install also and general painting(walls) and staining(oil tank) to finish... hopefully this weekend.

Advertisement