Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will studying Film Studies in college be beneficial for becoming a director?

Options
  • 13-06-2013 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

I'm currently going into 6th year and plan on studying English and Film Studies. I was wondering if film studies has any actual benefit in becoming a director. Or should I just take film production courses and buy a camcorder?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Not really.

It'll have some help but if you want to be a director then the only way to learn is to get out there and direct.

A film production course will allow you to do that.

Nothing to stop you from doing it yourself of course outside of college but having it as your main focus will allow you to really concentrate on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Funnily enough, this question was answered in Film Riot earlier this week! If you don't want to watch the whole episode it's at 2:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_COSnVeG84

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

I did film studies and English for my degree, plus an added splash of sociology. What I learned from college is spilled salt in comparison to what I learned when I finished.

If you want to direct you need to learn how to critique and dissect your piece. You need to understand how to visually explain your narrative and to also stitch audio into this. I recommend getting practical experience in the field. You need to know how the system works from top to bottom. Film Studies will not teach you this, also this is Ireland, it's all about low budget resources. If you know the trade then you can play the game.

This can depend on the course, if they provide a practical option then it's always worth doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Keggers2

Also, you want to be careful to pick a film production course over a film studies course if you want to learn the technical aspects of film making!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Most Film Studies courses in the NUI colleges are more critical analysis than practical work imo. Could be beneficial in intensely studying how some directors work though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Hallyington

I'm fairly sure UCC has a course that does both Film Studies and Production.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Knowledge is power and all that craic. No such thing as a waste of time, once you're learning something.

But most importantly....above all else....

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭shiftkey

Great link dude. Thanks for telling us about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭shiftkey

Keggers2 wrote: »
    Funnily enough, this question was answered in Film Riot earlier this week! If you don't want to watch the whole episode it's at 2:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_COSnVeG84

Great link Keggers. Thanks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Well I was looking up jobs in film in London bloody hell there is so much going on over there in it its the place to be for learning for experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 miss lilac

I have a 17 year old son who got his place to do Film Studies in Dublin Business school but deferred it until next year. Trouble is with all this austerity we may not be in a position to fund 5,200 a year for 3 years for him to do this course. Is there such a thing as an apprentership in the film industry ?? He has great ideas for future films, he eats and sleeps film, must have seen every film ever made at this stage with an opinion on them all. Just wants to get out there and get his teeth into something or anything to do with film so that he can work his way up.......could someone help me with what to do for him ?? What do do himself ? All suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Is doing Film Studies for 3 years the way to go for him or should he go a different route ??

Advertisement