Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legend Ollie Kahn Retires

• 16-05-2008 8:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

HAMBURG, Germany, May 15 (Reuters) - For a man who has achieved so much, it's strangely fitting that the enduring image of Oliver Kahn will be the forlorn figure who sat by the goal after his mistake led to Germany's 2002 World Cup final defeat.

Kahn, who plays his final competitive game on Saturday when Bayern Munich host Hertha Berlin in the Bundesliga, spent most of his 21-year career thriving on abuse as much as admiration.

And while Bayern fans have always loved him, it was only when he experienced failure and defeat that the rest of Germany finally warmed to him.

The 38-year-old, who moved to Bayern from his home town club Karlsruhe in 1994, retires after winning his eighth Bundesliga championship and sixth German Cup.

He was man of the match in the Champions League final victory over Valencia in 2001, was named best player of the World Cup in 2002 and world goalkeeper of the year three times.

Saturday's game in Munich will be his 557th Bundesliga match, a record for a goalkeeper.

'We'd never have won the Champions League without Kahn's performances, and his character and desire off the field,' Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said recently. 'He's our most important player of the last decade.'

Kahn is exactly the sort of player rival fans love to hate.

Known in Germany as King Kahn -- picture him celebrating with raised fists and roaring mouth -- he has absolute dedication to winning and has often been outspoken in his criticism of team mates as well as rivals.

But there have been times when fans from Germany and across the world have taken Kahn to their hearts, too.

In 1999 Kahn's Bayern team lost the Champions league final to Manchester United after an incredible finale that saw the English side score twice in the dying seconds.

There was a wave of sympathy for Bayern and Kahn in particular from fans who would normally revel in their failures.

At the World Cup in 2002, Kahn led Germany to the final almost single-handedly but in the end his luck deserted him and his first mistake of the tournament gave Ronaldo his first goal.

Brazil went on to win 2-0 and Kahn looked utterly distraught as he sat against a post at the end of the game.

Four years later, Kahn was heartbroken again when Juergen Klinsmann informed him Jens Lehmann, his great rival, would be his first choice goalkeeper at the World Cup.

A devastated Kahn accepted the number two role in the squad and was hailed as a model of sportsmanship for his attitude.

'It's funny,' Kahn observed. 'Throughout my career I've been renowned for fighting to the best but now, when I settle for second, everyone calls me a hero.'

Kahn was rewarded with his 86th and final cap in the third-place playoff victory over Portugal.

'Despite our rivalry your attitude always really impressed me,' Lehmann said in tribute this week.

'I knew I could never let up because there was someone there training even harder to be the best. I admire you and wish you well for the future.'

Kahn will be given a rare honour in September when Bayern take on the German national team in a testimonial match.

His competitive career will by then be over, but you can still bet that if he concedes a goal he will be screaming at his defenders with the same anger and frustration as ever.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=535475&&cc=5901

Absolute legend and fantastic keeper throughout his career.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

He will be missed by Bayern...great keeper a German Legend much like Sepp Meier and Illnger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Immense goalkeeper. His form at World Cup 2002 was some incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

At least he has a crackin bird to keep him occupied in his retirement -

Verena11-161207-s.jpg

300_verena_kerth_kahn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

The best goal he ever scored
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQS07H5sRSU&feature=related

Kahn is an absolute legend

Xavi6 wrote: »
    At least he has a crackin bird to keep him occupied in his retirement -

1372989591.jpg

Verena11-161207-s.jpg

Lucky she's there, because without her and with that shirt, Id bet my house on him being gay... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Cracking isnt the word :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Maybe he is. I won't imbed this for fear of putting people off their breakfast -

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/74947626.jpg

Maybe he is. I won't imbed this for fear of putting people off their breakfast -

ROFL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think Kahn has been off-the-boil for a long time now and like a lot of goalkeepers, although far from all, he made more and more mistakes towards the latter part of his career. Of course he made good saves even lately but the basic errors were becoming more and more common and more costly. I think that in another team he would have struggled a lot more and would have been moved on sooner as Bayern afforded him some protection. Bayern with a safe keeper will be a more dangerous force.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Ok that is really dodgy there Xavi ,Pink T-Shirts and see through shirts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

There's nothing wrong with Pink lol if my local team Wexford Yths can wear it like Palermo and Toulouse Rugby Team anyone can pull it off :pac:

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with Pink lol if my local team Wexford Yths can wear it like Palermo and Toulouse Rugby Team anyone can pull it off :pac:

Meh, the pink aint so bad. Its the fact that it looks like he bought it at Baby Gap coupled in with the purse he;s carrying :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Cruijff wrote: »
    Ok that is really dodgy there Xavi ,Pink T-Shirts and see through shirts.
    AND a manbag! Unforgiveable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i have to be the first to say it:

kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahn!! :D

amazing keeper, deserves every acolade he has received!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

One of the best ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Great goalkeeper,real legend,btw i think that shirt on the pic is really like he is gay,lucky he have that classy bird by him self to deny it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Redspider is right in that this is the right time to go - but he has had a fantastic overall career. A warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

GREAT FOOTBALLER but what an ABSOLUTE WANKER. If he were a personalityless footballer (though some would argue he has no personality) I would show a lot of love towards the guy BUT he is not. He does have a personality and it's crap. Liking Kahn is the same as saying you love Lehmenn. The only difference between the 2 is Kahn is useful between the sticks. His retirement is both a loss and a blessing to football. I feel sorry for whoever steps into his spot. Big shoes to fill. Is that Schalke keeper Neuer the new international keeper yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

GREAT FOOTBALLER but what an ABSOLUTE WANKER. If he were a personalityless footballer (though some would argue he has no personality) I would show a lot of love towards the guy BUT he is not. He does have a personality and it's crap. Liking Kahn is the same as saying you love Lehmenn. The only difference between the 2 is Kahn is useful between the sticks. His retirement is both a loss and a blessing to football. I feel sorry for whoever steps into his spot. Big shoes to fill. Is that Schalke keeper Neuer the new international keeper yet?

I don't see how anybody could say that. If there's one thing that defined Kahn it was his passion. He was not only a great keeper but a good leader on the pitch.

I remember watching Buffon get succesively better than he was the year before for 3 years after he joined Juve only for Kahn to match a man ten years younger every step of the way. Great man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

And at same time theres interview where Lehmann saying english goalkeepers are stupid:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I don't see how anybody could say that. If there's one thing that defined Kahn it was his passion. He was not only a great keeper but a good leader on the pitch.

I remember watching Buffon get succesively better than he was the year before for 3 years after he joined Juve only for Kahn to match a man ten years younger every step of the way. Great man

I never questioned his attitude on the pitch. Only off it. He is world renound for being a tosser and the reason him and Lehmenn don't get on is because they are so similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Na... He's just German. They're more camp than a filed of tents :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Great keeper. Immense throughout his career. Bayern will miss him.

IrishMike wrote: »
    The best goal he ever scored
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQS07H5sRSU&feature=related

Kahn is an absolute legend

That is so hilariously blatant! Was he sent off?

That save in the shootout in the CL Final where he pushed the ball up into the crossbar...fantastic.

Ill always remember the 2 he let in the most in 99 though!

Advertisement