Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Grant Gone?

• 21-05-2008 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭

so he didnt win the league and has now lost two finals, i think he will be replaced in the summer, i'm not sure by who though. What do you think on both?

Should Grant Go? 47 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    46% 22 votes
    Yes (Chelsea Fan)
    48% 23 votes
    No (Chelsea Fan)
    4% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

He probably is gone. Think it would be harsh though, definitely deserves another season. As for a replacement I certainly hope it isn't Rijkaard. Poor manager. Eriksson or Mancini maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Regardless of what RA said I really hope think he was on the way out in the summer Win or Lose tonight, harsh and all as it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

essien rb all season is his downfall, yeah, he's gone... rijkaard?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Hire whoever will play Essien in central midfield. Though with Bosingwa signed Grant might do that... for a while, until they decide they don't like Bosingwa either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Argh you're asking two questions there tbh. Should he go? Maybe Will he go? Definitely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Yes. He's toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

He is definitly gone and i feel like same for a lot of players in Chelsea,as commentators said Roman seems to be tired of all this and he will probably sell players

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Bit of misleading title to thread related to the poll.

I think Grant is gone,but think he should be allowed to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Should he go? No

Will he be forced to go? yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think he's gone yeah. I'm not convinced he's a top drawer manager but he seems to be a thoroughly decent man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

He'll move 'upstairs'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

I think he's gone alright. I wouldn't rate Rijkaard as a top drawer replacement for Grant though. Eriksson did a top job with city on a reasonable budget but for some reason I can't imagine him at the helm of another English club next season. Should be an interesting summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Argh you're asking two questions there tbh. Should he go? Maybe Will he go? Definitely
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    Bit of misleading title to thread related to the poll.

I think Grant is gone,but think he should be allowed to stay.

i realise this now! sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i dont necessarily think he should, but i definitely think he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He was already earmarked to go upstairs as far as I could tell.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Call_me_al wrote: »
    i realise this now! sorry!

we know what you mean though;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

mike65 wrote: »
    He was already earmarked to go upstairs as far as I could tell.

Mike.
    Wasn't he upstairs already? Did he forget to turn off the lights or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Hopefully...

Wasn't he upstairs already? Did he forget to turn off the lights or something?

i hear he left his tactics book up there!

apparently at Portsmouth he was called the BBC man - the balls, bibs and cones man coz all the players saw him do was set the equipment up for training! also i heard harry banned him from the training ground for interfering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Call_me_al wrote: »
    i hear he left his tactics book up there!
    Ah thats not fair its completely untrue............he didnt have a tactics book to start with:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think it'd be very harsh if he was sacked. He lost the Champions League on penalties to arguably the best team in the world, and he dispatched Liverpool in the semi-final along the way.

He also came within a nose of winning the title - despite having to recover from a poor start by Mourinho. Had Mourinho not dropped points to the likes of Villa, or walked out before the Man Utd game, the league may have ended a lot differently.

It seems Grant's biggest failings aren't on the pitch - he's done as well as Mourinho, whilst being constantly undermined by the media and the team's own fans. No, his biggest failing is that apparantly he didn't make enough snappy one-liners in press conferences. That's the only reason I can see why the knives are out for him.

He proved a lot of critics wrong this year, and he conducted himself with grace and dignity throughout. If only more managers were like him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I am appalled that a lot of ye think he should go, it was his first tenure as manager and even though he did not get the cups he made sure his team played well. As a United supporter I couldn’t have picked a better team to compete against, fair enough the first half Chelsea players were dull but they picked up in the second half. They played well and strong (apart from Drogba getting the red card-very stupid eejit, I could have smacked him in the face for that).
    Back to the topic, we are quite ruthless as individuals I suppose we wouldn’t want to fail but if you failed after trying hard at work would you like your boss to give you the boot?
    Show the man support will ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Wasn't he supposed to be the technical director of football or some fancy role but when they let "the special one" go he filled the role.

I don't think he is a big enough name for Chelsea and I know that shouldn't be the way but I think a big named ex-player/manager will come in pretty soon.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I dont think he should go but im afraid he will, i think he has done a fantastic job this season all things considered. He definatly deserves to have one full season based on his achievements this year. I remain convinced if he had been manager from the start then Chelsea would have won the league, the points dropped around the Mourinho thing cost them big time i feel, especially in the game v united a few days later

One poster mentioned top drawer managers and mention Mancini in the same sentence!! how funny was that :D

boards logic ftw!

So back on topic, he should be allowed to stay but i reckon he will move behind the scenes and a big name will take over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

kryogen wrote: »
    I dont think he should go but im afraid he will, i think he has done a fantastic job this season

Ah come on, look at the squad mate. Souness could have managed that team this season and probably got the same results.

Two BIG tasks at Chelsea: 1- Picking the team & 2- Massaging egos. The third task, a sprinkling of tactics to cover off the basics, other than that, with the players at your disposal it ain't exactly a difficult job in terms of "digging out" results with a kak squad.

If I was a betting man, I would say JT is in charge and got the team to achieve what they did this season. Grant and Cate were only token appointments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ten Cate has a good track record to be fair to him. I dunno, i think its more that Grant just earned peoples respect this season imo, the abuse he has received has been appaling and the hatred toward him for no reason whatsoever made me side with him i guess.

And to respond to your point, no souness couldnt manage that team, no way, i highly doubt he can manage to get dressed by himself in the mornings!

and if ayone can do it then why not let Grant stay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

kryogen wrote: »

and if ayone can do it then why not let Grant stay?

Maybe he will :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

he'll go back to doing whatever it was he was doing before - Abramovich seems to like him, and he seems a decent guy too.

I'm very confused about the poll.
    In fact my head just exploded. Far too early.

I said Yes, "Grant should go" as I see it happening
    Thats what I thought it meant.

But if it is "Grant should stay" as in "In a perfect world he won't be going anywhere" then I would've picked that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

He should clearly be allowed to say. His record proves that and he was 3 woodworks away from winning the CL. As for Essien at RB, it's not as if he plays badly there and it allows him to accomadate Makalele,Ballack and Lampard in the middle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bubs101 wrote: »
    He should clearly be allowed to say. His record proves that and he was 3 woodworks away from winning the CL. As for Essien at RB, it's not as if he plays badly there and it allows him to accomadate Makalele,Ballack and Lampard in the middle

Which for me is the problem. Makelele is finsihed imo and was crap last night. Essien would have had much more of an impact on the game in that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

defo gone along with drogba (really let himself down last night) lampard and maybe carvalho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Sizzler wrote: »
    Ah come on, look at the squad mate. Souness could have managed that team this season and probably got the same results.
    Nah Souness would have sold Lampard in the transfer window or something daft like that. (see previous excellent transfer records by him)

Grant should be left as manager of chelsea. but then again alot of things should happen in football and dont.

Tevez should have scored, Essien should play in midfield and so on and so on

He deserves a full season startin with no turmoil in all fairness. Would be ridciculous to sack him and would set a dangerous precedent.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Which for me is the problem. Makelele is finsihed imo and was crap last night. Essien would have had much more of an impact on the game in that role.

every time Essien moved into the middle of the park either with the ball or just making a run, Chelsea looked like a different team. He is a poor right back and Ronaldo skipped around him a few times, it would have been much better to have a real RB there and have Makelele in London, he was lucky not to get his marching orders a few times last night and didnt contribute to the game much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Xavi6 wrote: »

I don't think he is finished and I certainly don't think he was crap last night. I do think that we became far too dependant on Makelele and haven't really got anybody who wants to fill his shoes (i.e. sacrifice the personal glory of long range goals for short integral passes).

I don't think Essien is a direct replacement for him, he battles for positions with Lamps and Ballack and there was no way he could have dropped Ballack on that form and Lampard's performance more than justified his inclusion. We do need to find a long term replacement for him though, whether it be grooming Mikel for the position or buying somebody new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

I was never really convinced by him, you can't win a league and CL by playing well for the last month of the season, but I'm a man of logic so I'm always for giving managers time, he inherited a good team, we can't see his direction coming out yet, but unfortunately I think Abramovitch will be sharpening his axe

Advertisement