Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This weeks Eircom League

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Kerr wouldn't go, no way. He's too encamped with SPA.

:o:o:o:o

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

DesF wrote: »
    :o:o:o:o

lol

i thought you knew that when i posted earlier.. I did..

Roar wrote: »
    i thought you knew that when i posted earlier.. I did..
    Even more :o

No, I certainly didn't.

ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

19/05/2008 [18:24]
    BRIAN KERR RESIGNS AS DIRECTOR OF FOOTBALL
    The Board of St Patrick’s Athletic FC wants to acknowledge the contribution of Brian Kerr who has today (Monday, May 19th) decided to stand down from his position as Director of Football at the club. Mr Kerr will remain as an adviser to St Patrick’s Athletic until the end of this season. Commenting, Chairman, Garrett Kelleher said: “Brian agreed to take this position to help assist me and the board with the transition involved in the new ownership of one of the longest established clubs in League of Ireland football. The initial phase on the professional football side is largely done. The fact that we have a strong 1st team squad with a highly professional back up team and have better football structures than at any time in recent years means Brian has fulfilled that important task. We are grateful to have had someone of Brian’s experience available to us and I want to thank him for his contribution.”

Brian Kerr said he wished the club every success. “My affinity with and affection for this club is well known. St Patrick’s will always be special to me and I believe that Johnny McDonnell has now got a squad that can achieve great success over the coming seasons. I have greatly enjoyed being involved and working with Johnny to get us to the point where we can look ahead with great confidence. Last year’s 2nd place finish in the league was pleasing. I believe the club will go one better this season. I want to thank Garrett Kelleher and the board of the club, the staff, the players and the fans for their support of me over the past 15 months and I wish them continued success.”

Mr Kelleher said his board has exciting plans for taking the club forward. “Brian’s contribution has been great. I knew that it was always possible that he would want to leave and to that end we have been looking at how best to oversee the next phase in the development of the football side of the club and will make an announcement on this shortly.”

Mr Kelleher said the club has made great progress in its first eighteen months under his ownership. “There remain important additional steps that we have to consider. Achieving the right balance between the necessary success at 1st Team level and the longer term development needs of the football club is difficult. Professional football remains very underdeveloped in this market and those of us who are committed to building a brighter future within the game need to be creative and determined in order to do so. We also need the right conditions within which to effect change.”

"Conflict of interests" is the best way to describe this ;)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Johnny held out!

I don't want him at Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Johnny held out!

I don't want him at Cork.

Hes going to england deal done with some club, heard its leicester but doubt it tbh.

kdjac

Does this have anthing to do with Special K going bankrupt?

Does this have anthing to do with Special K going bankrupt?
    :D

That would be beeee-eaut-i-ful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Hey lads,

Sorry to go off topic here, but didn't want to start a new thread.

Would you mind telling me what the story is with promotion / relegation this season.

How many teams are going up from the first division this season (i.e. 1st & 2nd?) and is there any play-offs involed and how many teams are going down (as I think they're changing the size of the PL aren't they?)

Thanks.

Three down, one up, no play off.

The premier is changing to a 10 team, and the 1st is changing to a 12 team.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Cool thanks :)

Feckin hell that's tight, just one? Fingers crossed Shels get it! Would be tough with 3 teams coming down to compete with along with the rest next year!

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Cool thanks :)

Feckin hell that's tight, just one? Fingers crossed Shels get it! Would be tough with 3 teams coming down to compete with along with the rest next year!
    Exactly.

We're currently top :)

Going to be between us and Dundalk, and if Waterford stay afloat, them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Please let Galway be one of the teams coming down :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭raheny red

Cork imploding.

Matthews is not the right man for the job.

Seems like the perfect man for the job to me

Its still early in the season.

Pats and Bohs still have to come to the Cross. I'm still optimistic. Too many class players not to have hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Please let Galway be one of the teams coming down :)

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I think Longford is near Galway. Either that or my Irish geography is way off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

DSB wrote: »
    I think Longford is near Galway. Either that or my Irish geography is way off.
    There's a difference? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Early goal - Athlone 1 up against Waterford after 2minutes, (accoring to Aertel);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Dundalk 0 - Longford 0

Terrible match and a shocking result for dundalk at home. I cant help but feel a sense of de ja vu . Its last season all over again. don't know what else to say there just doesn't seem to be enough debt in the squad and the manager seems afraid changing his tactics.I look forward to the transfer window opening and seeing new faces added to the squad.

Stephen

Dundalk 0 - Longford 0

Terrible match and a shocking result for dundalk at home. I cant help but feel a sense of de ja vu . Its last season all over again. don't know what else to say there just doesn't seem to be enough debt in the squad and the manager seems afraid changing his tactics.I look forward to the transfer window opening and seeing new faces added to the squad.

Stephen

Great result for town!:D:D

Very happy with that result, after the performance on Saturday against Waterford. Talking to a mate who was at it and we had a few chances to sneak it. Will settle for the point though, great result from that shower from Athlone down in Waterford ;) advantage Shels.

2 point lead at the top. Lovely:D

DSB wrote: »
    2 point lead at the top. Lovely:D

Amazing :cool: - 540 minutes without conceding at home...

Yeah not a goal scored on us at Tolka this season. Beautiful. Tonight was a horrible match to watch but we never really looked like not winning at any point.

• Advertisement

Top of the league baby.

Here, Sarge, have Dundalk won since you came home :D:D

Dundalk bottling it early this season, lovely stuff.

Top of the league baby.

Here, Sarge, have Dundalk won since you came home :D:D

Dundalk bottling it early this season, lovely stuff.

I know DesF , I even have my mates willing to pay for my tickets back out , since I've been back it's been 2 points out of nine , not really a good tally is it ?
    As i was saying earlier on , I really don't believe that we have enough depth in the squad and also I'm finding it hard to look past Shelbourne for the league , the timeless saying "taken the team as far as he can" comes into the context when discussing John Gill around Oriel Park.

Jaysis, get rid of Gill? Who'd come in?

Connor? lol.

We had some Premier Division people at our game tonight, sniffing around Bisto Flood no doubt, well they can fúck right off.

He'll be in the Premier next season anyway.

Na-ni-na-ni-na-nini-na-na-na
    Shels are goin up, goin up
    Shels are goin u-up.

Connor? lol.

I'm still going to sit on the fence , but this is third season under gill that we are playing grave yard football and there does seem to be de ja vu surrounding every season as well. Like i said the transfer window will be interesting.

i hope you meant turlough o connor ;)

Good win for Shels anocht. Even with the glamour of a big club like Shels the 1st division is very unappealing. Fair play to the hardcore.

Just an observation.

Shels fans tend to be extremely old or extremely young.

• Advertisement

Shels fans tend to be extremely old or extremely young.
    :eek:

Where do I fit?

28 btw.

My brother and his mates are all 24-27.

Most of the people I'd be at games with are ~23-35

Yes, we have Skoolies, and Old-Timers too.

I find your observation bizarre tbh.

Noticed that in queue and the fans that were sitting around us in the stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Sing us a song Robbie Hedderman!

The 1st division is Robbie Hedderman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Terrible performance, terrible result, season imploding in front of my eyes.
    Can't be arsed going into any more detail than that.

As I have been saying all season, we are lacking up front. Robbie Farrell is not going to score enough goals as a lead striker to get us promoted. If we had this area sorted i think we would have a much better shout.
    Glad to see Ian Ryan back in at Centre-Half. I have grown to like him and he's been our most consistent defender this season.

Neil Gallagher from Cooley, former Dundalk keeper had a great game for Longford btw. Always happens, doesn't it... Glad he's doing well for himself though. Have seen him up at Oriel supporting the team when the games don't clash with Longford.

Gallagher has been amazing in the games he has played for Longford. In his first start against Galway in the cup he made some outstanding saves.

Waterford really are in trouble guys and expect them to fold in the coming weeks , I didn't really believe this statement when i first read it but i looked into things and did a bit of research. While the club is flying in the first division and as things stand are well within a shout of going up , behind the scenes it seems the club is struggling to even pay players and staff. I made a phone call to a mate of mine down in Waterford and he has told me in affect what was mentioned here a week or two ago , that is , If money doesn't come into the club in the next few weeks then expect the club to fold. Also after last nights game I believe that the assistant manager Sean Francis has resigned as well , to minimise the effect on the players.

I still stand by my original statement , John Dealany will not let this club die . BUT Will he ?

Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Don't think Delaney will let the club die to be honest. If they get to July they have a great chance. Release a lot of players and develop a local only policy for a couple of years.

Did they pay for that new stand that they have?? Or was it funded by their local council?:confused:

SantryRed wrote: »
    Don't think Delaney will let the club die to be honest. If they get to July they have a great chance. Release a lot of players and develop a local only policy for a couple of years.

Did they pay for that new stand that they have?? Or was it funded by their local council?:confused:

Well I very much doubt that they paid any money for it what so ever , due to grants from sporting bodies not just the FAI and the fact that they actual don't own the ground.

Have Waterford released any official statement, notice to fans etc, on how much they owe/need. Surely Delaney wont let it happen... I see Sean Francis resigned http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0521/waterford.html?RTEMAILID

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

kerash wrote: »
    Have Waterford released any official statement, notice to fans etc, on how much they owe/need. Surely Delaney wont let it happen...

I heard €50,000 debt, with every passing week they're losing big money, Management Committee is supposely digging into their own pockets aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Connor? lol.

[/I]

Not with the marketing manager Dundalk have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Haven't got another home game for a month:eek:

Why aren't they releasing players?:confused:

bohsman wrote: »
    Not with the marketing manager Dundalk have.

:p

Advertisement