Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CHELSEA General Discussion and Rumours 07/08

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Hi,

Don't know if any of you are going to the game but there are plans for some form of tribute to a young Liverpool fan who is dying of cancer (story and links here). LFC fans are trying to spread the word; the plan seems to be some sort of chant or round of applause that will be picked up on TV and that he'll hear when he watches the match. A couple of banners have also been made. We'd appreciate it if you could pass the word on through other Chelsea forums so that anyone who is there knows what is going on.

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Unearthly wrote: »
    Fair play

Nice to see a Chelsea fan supporting the team and manager for a change, especially only being 2 points behind the leaders in April and a CL semi final coming up.

Thank you!

I think hes probably walked into one of the toughest jobs around especially after Mourinho leaving.He brought us deep into every competition.We can still win two of the biggest prizes in Football, EPL and CL, and he has a great record this season i think only Mourinho's is better.Everyone forgets we were supposed to struggle this year after Mourinho left, we havn't because Avram Grant has done a good job.The least he deserves is one summer to shape his squad and challenge for trophies.We got lucky with Mourinho bringing instant success but it isnt that easy.Chelsea fans need to start being proper fans!!!And i think and hope the board will stick by Avram for one more year and i think everyone will be surprised how we do ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Considering the media have dubbed him an 'amateur' at the highest level, he's done very well. To be the only remaining team that can challenge utd for the PL title with 3 only games left isn't bad. Cup finalists in England and in the last 4 in europe with the prospects of winning it. That's some achievement by any club's standard.

I can see a much more settled Chelsea team back challenging for trophies next season. The disruptive influences in the squad who were against Grant from the start will probably be released and the prospect of players like Ribery joining certainly offers glimmers of hope for Chelsea fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If Grant doesn't win the PL or get to the CL final, I just can't see Grant staying. I really can't see the former happening anymore, too much to do (although not beyond the realms of possibility), but beating Liverpool is certainly a possibility. Whether getting to the final is enough only Ambrovomich will know, but I think the problem is not that Grant should go, it's that there are no real attacking managers out there to replace him.

Of the three most successful attacking managers in the world, Fergie, Wenger and Rikkjard, the first two would never ever ever go to them, and the last one has shown to be something of a one trick pony and really not up to the highest levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Wenger is quite possibly one of the most attack orientated coachs in the world. But if he was released no way would his philosophy fit with Abromavich's vision of instant glory and sucess. Wenger would want to buy talented 15 year olds on the cheap and develop them over 10-15 years. Abromavich's style of buying tried and tested 20 something year olds in the 20 million+ bracket would go against the grain for Wenger. I'm sure there'd be clashes of opinion if they combined forces :p.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

GET THE F!CK IN WE ARE GOIN TO MOSCOW!!!!!!

Blue is the colour
    Football is the game
    We are all together
    And winning is our aim!!!!!

SING CHELSEA EVERYONE!!!!!!!

COME ON CHELSEA!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

wish i knew how to post that tumbleweed picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It'd just be followed by one of a lemon tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Fair play to Chelsea. Hope ye do the double.

Maybe ye will cut Mr Grant some slack now.

Enjoy Moscow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Chelsea to sign Bosingwa
    Chelsea have reached an agreement with Porto for the £16.2m transfer of right-back Jose Bosingwa.

The 25-year-old Portugal international has arrived in London to discuss personal terms and undergo a medical.

Bosingwa, who was also a target for Manchester United, was born in the Democratic Republic of Congo but moved to Portugal as a child.

The full-back helped Porto to the 2004 Champions League title and four league championships since signing in 2003.

Bosingwa made more than 40 appearances for Boavista before former Blues boss Jose Mourinho brought him to rivals Porto.

606: DEBATE
    Chelsea have again wasted money on an average player!

R

Although he was used sparingly in his first season, the defender, who can also play on the wing, had been the first-choice right-back during the last three seasons.

His performances have earned him seven caps for Portugal and he is expected to be named in their Euro 2008 squad this week.

Alberto da Silva, a journalist for World Soccer magazine, believes Bosingwa has been overvalued by Chelsea.

"He's a good player but he's not worth that much money," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

I don't believe Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson would have been willing to spend that much money

Journalist Alberto da Silva

"Chelsea's current right-back Paulo Ferreira is a better player. I don't know who negotiated the deal, but he did well for Porto."

He added: "I don't believe Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson would have been willing to spend that much money on Bosingwa."

Three years ago, Bosingwa was involved in a serious car accident along with four other footballers.

All survived, but Sandro Luis, from a minor Portuguese side, had to have his left foot amputated as a result of the accident.

Bosingwa's arrival at Stamford Bridge will cast doubt over the future of another right-back Juliano Belletti.

The former Barcelona defender, who scored the winning goal in the 2006 Champions League final against Arsenal, has been overlooked by Blues manager Avram Grant in recent weeks, with Michael Essien occupying the full-back berth.

16milion? sounds very steep. they clearly are desperate to sort out that right back position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I have seen him and I think it's more that Grant and Roman want an attacking right back as opposed to Ferreira. He's not bad at all but the Portuguese league isn't much of a testing ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

Wow how much have porto made off of us in the last few seasons? 16mil is a lot but considering the prices being talked about for other RB's we were linked with like Richards and Alves, it doesnt surprise me. Although with the amount we paid for Ivanovic and Bosingwa we could of bought Alves. Anyway hope he does well for us. My portuguese work mate assures me he's pretty decent.

wat happened to the big centre half ye signed in Jan?

That was Ivanovic, he must've been injured cause he hasn't even made the bench once yet. I remember when we got him he had the same lack of fitness Skirtel had for liverpool, then he just dissapeared.

was actually thinking about that the other day alright. they arrived together, with your lad rated the better player and a good bit more expensive (12million if memory serves me right?), then we just havent heard from him since, yet Skrtl has gone on to be a super player for us in the few short months.

something a little fishy about the situation if ya ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

TBH we need a very good full back, not another average one(Boularouz, Ferreira, Belletti) to mount a serious challenge next season as I think its our weakest position by far and leaves us very exposed at times. There arent many great full backs in the world right now, but surely with the resources available along with the prospect of major honours at Chelsea we should be able to attract some of the best.Having said that, i could be wrong, i just havnt seen or heard of this guy.
    I really think Chelsea should be aiming for a big name signing at the earliest opportunity this summer, with the prospect of Drogba leaving, we should be trying to make a signal of intent. Somebody like Benzema(sought after by a string of europes top clubs) is who I would like to see at the Bridge. Maybe with Romans full backing Avram Grant can be more ambitious in the transfer market than Jose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

topnutz wrote: »
    Maybe with Romans full backing Avram Grant can be more ambitious in the transfer market than Jose.

More ambitious?
    They bought Ballack, Shevchenko, Malouda, Cole, SWP, Essien ,Carvallo etc
    under Maureen, all very sought after players.
    How much more ambitious do you want them to be?
    Unless you are looking for £100m a summer of spending you cant really
    ask for a whole lot more from the owner, its about proper use of the
    resources rather than increasing the spend if you ask me
    Chelsea dont need to spend £80m on new players, they only need 1 or 2
    Probably wont stop them doing it though.

TBH we need a very good full back, not another average one(Boularouz, Ferreira, Belletti) to mount a serious challenge next season

As opposed to the half arsed title challenge ye mounted this year?!

Chelsea fans really have been spoilt the last few years! ;)
    i just havnt seen or heard of this guy.

You'll be glad to hear, he's been linked to some of Europes top clubs and is regarded as a pretty excellent player.
    Somebody like Benzema(sought after by a string of europes top clubs) is who I would like to see at the Bridge.

How often have you seen Benzema play? Or is it just the fact that hes been linked with Real,Utd,Barca etc that has you wanting him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Christ what are some fans expecting. More ambitious in the transfer market. Ballack, Shevchenko, Robben, Malouda, Cech, Drogba etc.. what exactly is there in that that shows a lack of ambition?

Chelsea needed to put up a serious title challenge? Yeah we really made a mess of it this year didn't we. Considering the turmoil and waring factions at the club in the first part of the season its pretty remarkable how we were able to turn it around and bring the season to the last day. That and the fact that we are in the CL final. Honestly what more do people want without winning absolutely everything in sight?

Essien while not a rb is still better than the majority of RB's in the prem.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    As opposed to the half arsed title challenge ye mounted this year?!

Ive been saying for a while that our league position flatters us, it wont be so close next year if we keep up the half arsed performances, sometimes the league table does lie.
    But I think we've been found wanting at at right back far too often this season, so for me a world class right back is top of my wishlist(well, right behind Messi), that is of course if we can keep the rest of the squad intact throughout the transfer window.
    Your right about Benzema, I havnt seen much of him, but what i have seen I have been very impressed. Also there's no smoke without fire, if the whole of Europe wants him he cant be all bad, plus hes more likely to be available than say Etoo for example.
    I also said i could be wrong about Bosingwa and i hope i am, i just havnt heard of him thats all

OK, maybe 'ambitious' was the wrong word:o

Ive been saying for a while that our league position flatters us, it wont be so close next year if we keep up the half arsed performances, sometimes the league table does lie.
    But I think we've been found wanting at at right back far too often this season, so for me a world class right back is top of my wishlist(well, right behind Messi), that is of course if we can keep the rest of the squad intact throughout the transfer window.
    Your right about Benzema, I havnt seen much of him, but what i have seen I have been very impressed. Also there's no smoke without fire, if the whole of Europe wants him he cant be all bad, plus hes more likely to be available than say Etoo for example.
    I also said i could be wrong about Bosingwa and i hope i am, i just havnt heard of him thats all

I'd imagine Eto'o would actually be more available to Chelsea than Benzema, the lad will have his choice of clubs and has already indicated fairly definatively that he favours a move to Barca or Real (Spain), then either AC or Inter (Italy) and then, a bit back, England. So not gonna happen.

meh... if you think Ferreira is a poor player then don't get your hopes up. by the sounds of it most Porto fans would rate Ferreira as the better player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

We need some wing forward spunk back in the team of the likes of Duff and Robben, there is only 5 letters I want to see at the bridge next season:
    M E S S I

IrishMike wrote: »
    its about proper use of the
    resources rather than increasing the spend if you ask me
    Chelsea dont need to spend £80m on new players, they only need 1 or 2
    Probably wont stop them doing it though.

Exactly, thats what i was goin for,i made a fair ballz of it though:D

• Advertisement

Well if players like Ben Haim, Sidwell, Pizzaro and Belletti are the only ones leaving then we dont need big name signings to replace them, we should be bringing in youngsters. I think our biggest signing will be Drogbas replacement if he is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

about 9 hours behind son :p

Oops :p

Postcount +2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

Any plans for watching the game in Dublin. Would love to watch it with a majority of blues fans. Most pubs will be dominated by manu. ktbffh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I will be in o'neills, but id say it will be full of reds.

Romans Rubles arent entirely free

In all seriousness though, thats an astonishing creditors list the club has, 3/4 a billion is huge regardless of how much of that is owed to Roman.

I was under the impression he was just a free spending nut? If he;s looking for money back then things could get interesting for Chelsea. Having said that, at least the "loan" is interest free, unlike Uniteds, who are paying the loan interests back using the gate revenues :(

Chelseas "debt" looks meagre compared to uniteds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well I've been saying this for a long time but people on here just dont listen at times. There is this notion that Chelsea is just a play thing and he will put it back down when he is finished. After pumping all that money into the club this is a long term investment by RA. We know he doesn't need the money but people like him dont think that way, we do because we dont have billions in an account!

He has made an investment and sooner or later will want a return on that investment. He isn't stupid when it comes to cash. Either by hook or by crook he gatherd an obscene amount of wealth and unless your david beckham that takes a high degree of intelect. Chelsea will always have to repay that money, its just a question of when.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Can someone post the lyrics to that blue is the colour song?

Leeds fan here, just wanna wind up the mancs in the office

Blue is the colour, football is the game
    We're all together and winning is our aim
    So cheer us on through the sun and rain
    Cos Chelsea, Chelsea is our name.

Here at the Bridge, whether rain or fine
    We can shine all the time
    Home or away, come and see us play
    You're welcome any day

Cos Chelsea, Chelsea is our name

Come to the Shed and we'll welcome you
    Wear your blue and see us through
    Sing loud and clear until the game is done
    Sing Chelsea everyone

Can someone post the lyrics to that blue is the colour song?

Leeds fan here, just wanna wind up the mancs in the office

Id be careful, you're setting yourself up for the fall if or when u lose the playoff final!! :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

No chance, we're the famous Leeds United!

Romans Rubles arent entirely free

In all seriousness though, thats an astonishing creditors list the club has, 3/4 a billion is huge regardless of how much of that is owed to Roman.

I was under the impression he was just a free spending nut? If he;s looking for money back then things could get interesting for Chelsea. Having said that, at least the "loan" is interest free, unlike Uniteds, who are paying the loan interests back using the gate revenues :(

Chelseas "debt" looks meagre compared to uniteds.

hmmmm.... i personally wouldn't be surprised if it were the case that they are in the form of 'interest free' loans for tax purposes. Chelsea is a long long time away from being able to repay Abramovich. no doubt he wants them to overtake United in the long run and reap the returns, but i don't think he'd be foolish enough to burden the club before they are able to repay. remember, to someone as rich as Abramovich it's all just a game.

Not according to Kenyon, the clubs assets are making huge waves and the adidas kit sponsership was worth 300mil I think, he reckons in 3 years Chelsea will be totally self sufficient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,13320_3588017,00.html

Interesting read regarding mikels sending off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Good luck!

Advertisement