Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greyhound

Options
  • 18-01-2014 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the story is there. It seems to be closed again for the last couple of days.

I'm missing the continental and cheap beer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Murt10 wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is there. It seems to be closed again for the last couple of days.

I'm missing the continental and cheap beer.

Theres murmorings that the licence ran out for both the greyhound and corduff.

Not sure if true but both have been closed for days so maybe there is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Also heard there is no license now for Captains either so all are closed afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

thomasj wrote: »
    Theres murmorings that the licence ran out for both the greyhound and corduff.

Not sure if true but both have been closed for days so maybe there is.

That's what I heard last night, the Vineyard was packed for a Saturday night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Heads up, Paidi Og's are thinking of opening their nightclub back up to soak up some of the customers from the Greyhound etc... Slice is acoming back!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭dodzy

January wrote: »
    Heads up, Paidi Og's are thinking of opening their nightclub back up to soak up some of the customers from the Greyhound etc... Slice is acoming back!
    A pint of Guinness and a gum shield please !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

January wrote: »

Oh no. I live close by and there is no soundproofing at all when the club operates so I can hear thump thump thump until all hours. It's worse in the summer when they open the doors to let some air in and you can actually make out the crap songs they're playing.

Edit - thump thump thump of the music by the way. Not people beating the crap out of each other. Although that could be going on too

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Also heard there is no license now for Captains either so all are closed afaik
    I'm gonna kick myself but I have to ask..... captains is where exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

dodzy wrote: »
    I'm gonna kick myself but I have to ask..... captains is where exactly?

Captain America's up in the center I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dartsplayer

saw the main barman of the greyhound on friday, is now working in the clonsilla inn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Slice opens back up next weekend according to Facebook. Fun times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 thegeekyjay

saw the main barman of the greyhound on friday, is now working in the clonsilla inn
    He's the entertainments manager in the Inn.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

No more unsubstantiated or potentially libellous posts please. I've already removed two, next one gets a week off from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

See the Greyhound is now to let.

Sign in the windows for BNP Paribas.

Think I'll stay on this side of the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

This landmark building is there donkeys years, it would be a shame if was sat unused for a prolonged period of time.The standard of pubs in Blanch is middling at best, we could do with a revamped 'Hound in terms of an alternative venue with something else to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

This landmark building is there donkeys years, it would be a shame if was sat unused for a prolonged period of time.The standard of pubs in Blanch is middling at best, we could do with a revamped 'Hound in terms of an alternative venue with something else to offer.

Might be a good location for a weatherspoons, a little small for them, but who knows

"Revamped" is an understatement. It's been a pit for years, full of track suit wearing scrotes. They'd let anyone into the place. Obvious potential for someone up to the task.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

First thing a potential buyer should do is a paint job on the front of the greyhound. It's an eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

oblivious wrote: »
    Might be a good location for a weatherspoons, a little small for them, but who knows
    "Revamped" is an understatement. It's been a pit for years, full of track suit wearing scrotes. They'd let anyone into the place. Obvious potential for someone up to the task.

To be honest a good few of the weatherspoons in the UK their customers are usually track suit wearing scrotes so would be perfect for them

Used to work acorss the road from it in Chartbusters back in the late 90's when I was a teen. Used to get the bus from there out to the county club if anyone remembers that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

If the Greyhound ever re-opens again, it needs to gut the place out, but the people who'll take the lease are unlikely to put the money in to do that as they are only leasing, and the owners of the building are only interested in extracting monies from it by leasing, rather than attempting to run it themselves.

The Hound has potential, but needs serious consideration rather than simply leasing out and going down the business as usual track again.

One major screw-up was the emergence of the doormen that took over the place about 18 months after it initially re-opened. They changed the format of the pub ( to the extent that the entertainment manager in the Inn left), and he did a very good social media camping for the hound when he was there. Before that, the Hound was bringing back in it's middle aged regulars, but then the changes mentioned, brought in the younger disco crowd, to the extent that the Hound only relied on that custom of a Friday and Saturday night to run the place weekly.

So it needs to be gutted and re-done as it's old and creaking. Whomever takes it on, needs to work with the Gardai closely to make it a success, and to stop dissidents taking on the door and deciding how it should be run. (and that is not libelous, as it is reported recently in the media)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

It's been a pit for years, full of track suit wearing scrotes. They'd let anyone into the place.

Ah Here! Who are you calling a track suit wearing scrotes? :D:D

Murt10 wrote: »
    Ah Here! Who are you calling a track suit wearing scrotes? :D:D
    Ah will y'ever leave-i-rou ;)

If the Greyhound ever re-opens again, it needs to gut the place out, but the people who'll take the lease are unlikely to put the money in to do that as they are only leasing, and the owners of the building are only interested in extracting monies from it by leasing, rather than attempting to run it themselves.

The Hound has potential, but needs serious consideration rather than simply leasing out and going down the business as usual track again.

One major screw-up was the emergence of the doormen that took over the place about 18 months after it initially re-opened. They changed the format of the pub ( to the extent that the entertainment manager in the Inn left), and he did a very good social media camping for the hound when he was there. Before that, the Hound was bringing back in it's middle aged regulars, but then the changes mentioned, brought in the younger disco crowd, to the extent that the Hound only relied on that custom of a Friday and Saturday night to run the place weekly.

So it needs to be gutted and re-done as it's old and creaking. Whomever takes it on, needs to work with the Gardai closely to make it a success, and to stop dissidents taking on the door and deciding how it should be run. (and that is not libelous, as it is reported recently in the media)

Spot on Chuck. Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

It seemed the patrons who used to drink in the Blakestown house moved from there when it closed
    to the Buddah bar which when that closed then moved to the Greyhound.

It is a lovely building but needs proper management and investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

The Blanchardstown Village Urban Design Framework Plan which will most likely never come to light proposes getting rid of parts of that building and moving the bar to a 5 story development on the Superquinn site. It is unlikely that any major renovations or usage changes will be allowed by fingal on the current site unless they have completly given up on the idea of putting a civic square into the village. (which they may well have)
    Page 31 - https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/20609363/blanchardstown-village-urban-design-framework-plan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Just seen a new page, also the new Greyhound itself was to reopen tonight

https://www.facebook.com/thegreyhoundcafebar

Was anyone in over the Christmas - what was the crowd like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

AlanG wrote: »
    Was anyone in over the Christmas - what was the crowd like?

Yep and contrary to my earlier post where I said no one would put the investment in to change it, they did just that. I'm delighted to be wrong.

They have renovated it and removed the central bar and sectioned of a bar for the auldfellas so they have a dedicated bar to themselves. That's a good move.

The Hound will take a while to build up its base again but I've no doubt that it will.

Well, I went for a few Pints in the Greyhound at the weekend. I must say I was mostly impressed and will be going again.
    Positives:
    - Decent crowd for a January night. (went to the 12th lock later and it was far quieter)
    - Bouncers seemed nice.
    - The band were very good and it is great to see a full band in a pub with no CC.
    - Décor was nice and well designed.
    - Staff seemed pleasant.
    - No scumbags drinking there from what I could see.

Negatives:
    - They had no non-alcoholic beer and didn’t apologise for not having it or indicate that they were just out of stock, in fact the staff made a joke of it. As a result of this the whole group I was with had to leave as you can’t expect the person dropping you all home to put up with minerals all night if they fancy a NA beer. This was first raised early in the night when some of the staff could easily have gone to get stock in another pub or even an off licence. They just weren’t professional enough.
    - There seemed to be a lot of bouncers and they were very obvious even inside early in the night. This tends to work against places in the long run unless it is very well managed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement