Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard wiring CO alarm on 12v Regulator Mk5

Options
  • 02-04-2014 7:19pm

I'm not happy about using consumable batteries for devices when I have lead acids and solar I could be using instead.
    Mod. will cost less than 3 new Duracells ;)
    Duracell_zps7e0c93d8.jpg
    BatteryV_zps7c7b4e04.jpg

Comments

5vReg_zpsaa68eada.jpg

€3 12v to USB Charger

5vRegShrankinnards_zps12fa76b3.jpg
    Shrank 5v reg

Computersaysno_zps6e7e74ce.jpg
    Computer says no
    6.5v no amps down the data lines and 11v off the powerside...I'd blame Chinese workmanship but I reckon it had more to do with me creaming the inductor getting the USB port off

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

5vRegMk2_zpsa7403a74.jpg

€2 12v USB Charger

5vRegMk2innards_zps571bbc12.jpg

Innards

5vRegtested_zps6cd66fe1.jpg

My first breadboard (wow connector blocks are a thing of the past!)
    Good enough for me but might at least try to get this to spec. seeing as I'm uploading it. Accidentally tested CO Alarm with 11v on Mk-1 doesn't seem to mind it at all. Looking at the PCB there's not a lot will be upset by minor over-voltage...not that I'm an expert.

Tried limiting the output with resistors until I realised I was fighting a losing battle with a comparator.
    Must get myself a series ammeter. Clamp meters are just no good at signal voltages.

47vreg_zps27b6f0dc.jpg?t=1396462402

Let's have you too

47reginnards_zps83634590.jpg

Innards

45vregtested_zps2e2bcb99.jpg
    Wa-hey
    I cut the ports off with a junior hack saw and side cutters....learned my lesson trying to desolder a 6 contact port.
    Pity 200mA is too low to run the Alarm though, it'll turn on but won't sound

• Advertisement

The observant among you might call this Mk - 2

Hotpowerhardwire_zpsdd54d9ad.jpg

Mk - 4 to AA battery connections (same for Mk - 5 but forgot to photo)

DIYFuseholder500mA_zps4121f004.jpg

DIY 500mA Fastblow Glass Fuse Holder
    I did actually buy a real fuse holder this time but it was too bulky. :D

DSC_0693_zpse4753e7f.jpg

Hot Glue to the Rescue

Bosch_zpsd3daeb7e.jpg

Bosch!
    That's a 12v mains traffo top right in case anyone's wondering, like a battery except for houses :)

I'll put a switch on this when I install it. There'll be no permanent loads on my watch with the exception of charge controllers and battery monitors.
    I'm almost thinking of running a transistor switch from the side sliding door overhead lighting switch...except I'm not sure I have one come to think of it and KISS would probably be best.

PS. it's 0.3v over-spec.
    Doesn't bother me.

Advertisement