Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan DOE question

Options
  • 03-04-2014 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi,
    Hoping to get my campervan DOE's soon so I can tax it and get it on the road.
    Its a VW T3 camper, but at the moment it has no cabinets, bed. It has previously had all this stuff in it, I took it out to refurb.

Do you think I will still be able to DOE with all the the cabinets, appliances and rock'n roll bed missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It will cost you 93 euro's to find out but I'd say yes and there is a good chance that something else will fail so you'll need are test anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

As far as i know the CVR test will be based on your tax book only. So if it says camper they will test and charge as a camper. The cabinets and appliances are not part of the road worthiness test and arent normally looked at.
    Only things that come to mind is that your Glass has the appropriate safety markings and that all seats currently fitted have seat belts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

nailer8 wrote: »
    ....................................................and that all seats currently fitted have seat belts.

Not quite correct. It is not uncommon for a motorhome to have seats without seatbelts.

It is only those designated as 'travel seats' which require seat belts.
    The number of seats designated as 'travel seats' and fitted with seat belts is noted on the vehicles Certificate of Conformity or its original Certificate of Registration if a used import.
    However I have seen a number of examples of the wrong number being noted on the Irish Certificate of Registration (RF101) so that is not a reliable document to consult.

To confuse matters more there was a time when only the cab seats required seat belts and those travelling in the rear were permitted to do so without them. I'm not sure of when the regulations changed but vehicles registered for the first time before they came into force do not need to have them.

They didn't check the seat belts in my camper, had it tested yesterday and passed

They didn't check the seat belts in my camper, had it tested yesterday and passed
    What's the number of seats listed on the RF101 at (S.1), that will be the number, right or wrong, which is officially recorded.
    If it's 2 then all they should be checking is the two on the cab seats as that is all that are 'officially' there.

As has been often said our Certificate of Registration (RF101) can be quite a work of fiction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Mine has three listed on rf101 tester still checked the rear ones, one is starting to fray and they passed it anyway said to change it for my own sake.

moodrater wrote: »
    Mine has three listed on rf101 tester still checked the rear ones, one is starting to fray and they passed it anyway said to change it for my own sake.

The number listed is supposed to be the number certified by the manufacturer on the vehicles Certificate of Conformity.

If for some reason the police or insurance have an interest in how many were in the vehicle for some reason and there were more than thee you could be prosecuted and have your insurance nullified for carrying more persons than the vehicles was approved for, as recorded on its current Registration Certificate (RF101).

However, if you have in fact more than three belted seats it is probable that the vehicle is in fact approved for that number and your RF101 is wrong because the correct figure was not copied from its original Registration Certificate or Certificate of Conformity.

Try explaining that to a French, German or Spanish policeman who had little or no English and intent on giving you some grief.

My log book says 5 but i must get them to correct it there are 4 working lap belts in the back and one I can easily fix, it just needs to be screwed to the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I hope you're not serious about screwing it to the floor...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

Ah a few self tappers and you'd be fine. Just don't break too hard. ;-)

• Advertisement

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    I hope you're not serious about screwing it to the floor...

Yea :) why not a bit of silicone would give it a bit of extra strength too :pac:

No it came with three lap belts across the back but to access the engine bay you have to lift the front passanger seat up but for a bigger job you have to take out the drivers seat and a floor pannels over time somebody in Japan didn't put back the middle belt properly. I assume that there is a treaded eye or some sort of fixing point there for it. I seldom carry one backset passage yet alone five but if I ever put it back I'll make sure it's done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

It will cost you 93 euro's to find out but I'd say yes and there is a good chance that something else will fail so you'll need are test anyway.

I got a notice from garage to say the LGV fee was €111.16 for my camper, is it gone up everywhere?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

m8 wrote: »
    I got a notice from garage to say the LGV fee was €111.16 for my camper, is it gone up everywhere?
    :confused:

Look at the last page of the sticky: DoE testing- the last word.

Advertisement